Swan song?

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
naughty said:
Stop, stop, stop, stop!

The thread does have the word "song" in its title, does it not? Thus, music has always been at its heart, if only implicitly. :rolleyes: Although Bach's cantata for Easter Sunday might certainly be considered a "swan song" (or do I mean a "death knell"? :cool:) for many a student's interest in music.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
alex8 said:
The thread does have the word "song" in its title, does it not? Thus, music has always been at its heart, if only implicitly. :rolleyes: Although Bach's cantata for Easter Sunday might certainly be considered a "swan song" (or do I mean a "death knell"? :cool:) for many a student's interest in music.

this isn't a song. It's fucking grand opera performed by U2, the Marx Brothers, and the cast of Green Acres.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dr. Dilznick said:
There is none. Wikipedia's 16/8 doesn't even begin to make sense.

Agreed. Some who know a little more offered 9/6, which still isn't right.

Technically, the answer is 11/4, but since that would in theory really be 5.5/4, which is unacceptable in music theory, most people won't allow for something that breaks the rules- but there it is.

I don't know if this song was written for the express purpose of challenging time signature theory, but it certainly is beautiful.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Alex8,

My life is filled with song, however theory does tend to bring out flashes of post traumatic stress. I will now try to go drink some herbal tea to calm the tics which have yet to subside....

alex8 said:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
Gotcha! The trick is that, for odd time signatures, you can use just about any number you want... for the first number. That's the one that tells where the metrical stresses will be. (Music of the common practice period would have had the first number as a multiple of 2 or 3. "modern music" still mostly follows that convention, but also uses odd numbers, or alternates). The second number (and it is NOT a fraction, simply a notation convention) because of its function, has to be a multiple of two. Any odd number in that position creates something that makes as much sense as dividing by zero, or the square root of a negative number. You can actually write it, but it doesn't mean anything.

It's easier than that- the top number is just how many beats per measure, and the bottom one is what kind of note represents one beat (fairly irrelevant). Unless there are sixth notes, there's no way to have a six at the bottom, that's just stupid. The bottom number has to denote a number that exists (half notes, quarter notes, sixteenths). The vast majority of music is written that a quarter note is one beat, so except in rare occasions, that's a given.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
It's easier than that- the top number is just how many beats per measure, and the bottom one is what kind of note represents one beat (fairly irrelevant). Unless there are sixth notes, there's no way to have a six at the bottom, that's just stupid. The bottom number has to denote a number that exists (half notes, quarter notes, sixteenths). The vast majority of music is written that a quarter note is one beat, so except in rare occasions, that's a given.
Exceptionally close, but still not quite there. You are right that the second number (in common parlance) denotes what kind of note gets one beat... except in compound time. 6/8 is very common, but that signature denotes "two beats per measure, dotted quarter gets one beat." As defined, the second number has to be a power of two, not just a multiple of two. It does get very complicated, though... 6/4 is six beats per measure, quarter gets one beat. And Bach often wrote in smaller divisions, 12/16 time is not uncommon for him.

Naughty, I am very familiar with Christ lag in Todesbanden, and many other chorale preludes and cantatas. Sorry you had such a traumatic experience. I'm guessing that when you and I were both going through our early music education, we weren't taught nearly enough about how to sightread.

But back to the Swan Song... I didn't really mean to make this a treatise on "Music notation: theory and practice." Sorry, Stronzo and others.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually DC,

I grew up in a rather musical family.My abhorance for "ear straining and sight screeching" was probably self induced. I dont know if you ever saw the movie "The Joy Luck Club" but there is a scene in which one of the lead character in a flashback to her childhood recalled telling her nearly deaf piano teacher that the key signature for the piece she was playing was "Z" major. I had a love/hate relationship with Fletcher theory papers from way back...

DC_DEEP said:
Exceptionally close, but still not quite there. You are right that the second number (in common parlance) denotes what kind of note gets one beat... except in compound time. 6/8 is very common, but that signature denotes "two beats per measure, dotted quarter gets one beat." As defined, the second number has to be a power of two, not just a multiple of two. It does get very complicated, though... 6/4 is six beats per measure, quarter gets one beat. And Bach often wrote in smaller divisions, 12/16 time is not uncommon for him.

Naughty, I am very familiar with Christ lag in Todesbanden, and many other chorale preludes and cantatas. Sorry you had such a traumatic experience. I'm guessing that when you and I were both going through our early music education, we weren't taught nearly enough about how to sightread.

But back to the Swan Song... I didn't really mean to make this a treatise on "Music notation: theory and practice." Sorry, Stronzo and others.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
...My abhorance for "ear straining and sight screeching" was probably self induced...
That's too funny, I always called it "ear straining and fright screaming...." close enough, though. I know I'm twisted, but I actually enjoyed those, but it came easily to me.

Funny thing, the voice majors were always so haughty where I went to school. I got tired of the attitude, and nearly caused a riot. One of the singers was bragging about the superiority of the "pure instrument of the voice." I challenged him, on the spot, saying "You never had a Horn lesson, I never had a voice lesson. I'll get you a French horn and all the audition materials including sight reading. I'll give you a month to prepare. You audition for my spot in the Wind Ensemble, I'll sight read the entire repertoire (including foreign language) for your spot in Concert Choir. Let's see who is the real musician." A couple of them actually complained to the head of the department about me. I followed through, and sight read the entire audition. The director kept trying to put something in front of me that I couldn't read, my audition lasted 45 minutes instead of 20, and I made 1st Basso. Ahead of some senior voice majors. Almost caused a riot, again.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
pichulon said:
I am not a homophobic person , never been. I would not be in a place like this is I was one. I never made a single homophobic thread...(some text removed)...
Check my threads, and tell me where is the homophobism.
Someone did. You still don't believe us. You are completely unwilling to even look. All you do is justify. You basically say it's alright to display homophobia when you are hurt or angry. As for homophobes spending time in largely and historically gay communities, what about this guy?

On the other hand, when people tell you you are not straight, that straight people do not exist, and tell you directly that you are a homphobic because you do not accept the new description of a straight man, is'nt that constitute a from of phobia?
It might be. It sounds closed-minded. Show me.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BronxBombshell said:
.... As for homophobes spending time in largely and historically gay communities, what about this guy?....
Oh shit, BBS, that was hysterical!!!

I think I'm gonna move to Budapest and complain that everyone speaks Hungarian, and insist that they all speak Tamil instead.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC_DEEP said:
Oh shit, BBS, that was hysterical!!!

I think I'm gonna move to Budapest and complain that everyone speaks Hungarian, and insist that they all speak Tamil instead.

I wish I could take credit for finding it. I think madame_zora actually posted it earlier Friday. Someone did, anyway. I saved it from there, and it just seemed appropriate to repost... Glad you enjoyed.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BronxBombshell said:
I wish I could take credit for finding it. I think madame_zora actually posted it earlier Friday. Someone did, anyway. I saved it from there, and it just seemed appropriate to repost... Glad you enjoyed.

Haha, and I thought DC posted it earlier- maybe we really ARE all the same person?