Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i'm talking about the Tim Burton movie musical but people who love the Broadway show are invited to post too. :)

i loved it. i had never seen the broadway version of it, so everything was new to me. i was basically a virgin. :p

Johnny Depp was terrific, imo. He could carry a tune and he brought out all of Sweeney's emotions and violent tendencies. I'd love it if he won the Oscar, but that's most likely going to Daniel Day-Lewis.

I was suprised and disappointed that Helena Bonham Carter didn't get any noms at first, but the lovely hotbtminla explained that to me. She also did a great job even though i thought two of her songs fell flat.

and ok, it was violent, but the violence wasn't senseless.

what do you guys think?

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
i'm talking about the Tim Burton movie musical but people who love the Broadway show are invited to post too. :)

i loved it. i had never seen the broadway version of it, so everything was new to me. i was basically a virgin. :p

Johnny Depp was terrific, imo. He could carry a tune and he brought out all of Sweeney's emotions and violent tendencies. I'd love it if he won the Oscar, but that's most likely going to Daniel Day-Lewis.

I was suprised and disappointed that Helena Bonham Carter didn't get any noms at first, but the lovely hotbtminla explained that to me. She also did a great job even though i thought two of her songs fell flat.

and ok, it was violent, but the violence wasn't senseless.

what do you guys think?

Me either, I've never been to a musical or seen anything like it. But I loved it. It was a breath of fresh air from the usual movies nowdays. And the ending was just perfect!

newhere

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Didn't like it. Depp wasn't bad but not great at singing. i'd give it a 5 out of 10.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i think most of the movie musicals of the '00 (Moulin Rouge, The Phantom of the Opera, Rent, Dreamgirls, Across the Universe, Hairspray, Chicago) were pretty decent in their different ways. Sweeney was no exception. Plus, someone ruined the ending for me, so it lacked the shock factor, but i liked it nonetheless.

My favorite song was either "Not While I'm Around" which was a sweet song with Toby expressing his love for the mother he never had, Mrs. Lovett, or "My Friends" when Sweeney recieves his razors for the first time in years.

the most unintentionally hilarious song was "Epifhany" where it would be an angry song and then change into something dramatic. angry, dramatic, angry, dramatic. hilarious. plus, "i'll steal you, Johanna" came off as sweet and yet, creepy at the same time. i'd love to watch it again soon.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I loved this movie. Burton and Depp are simply magical together-dating back to Edward Scissorhands. I don't think that together, they can make a bad film. They bring out the best in one another.

ninepointfive

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i pretty much hate musicals and tim burton was in the autumn of his career back in the 90's let alone now. probably going to miss this one.

JohnDoeXXXm

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This musical is Stephen Sondheim's best- and I was shocked to know that he allowed Tim Burton to allow Johnny Depp and Helena Bonhem Carter to take a swipe at singing such demanding material. For that reason, the movie was so-so.

Sunday night I got the treat to see the national tour of the Broadway Musical since it was in town. It was an extrordinary performance- very obvious why in won the best revival of a musical in 06. It was just incredible.

fuzzybug

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wasn't wow-ed by it myself

I love musicals (Moulin rouge, Les Miserables my fav). But for me, this didn't have enough show-stopping tunes in it. There were maybe two decent songs and the rest jist felt like they were mumbling through dialogue. Johnny and Hlena aren't exactly great singers although they did okay. All in all....it was pretty average for me......sorry!!!