Sweeney Todd?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by catman, Dec 18, 2007.

1. catman

Gold Member

Almost every single review I have read about this (interesting combo, Johny Depp, Tim Burton, murder, music and christmas...)

has said the same thing about Sacha Baron Cohen(sp) and his HUGE bulge (in one interview there was jokes about a large rodent being down his pants), evidently it is played for laughs..

has anyone see the movie or clips? (looked but found nothing).

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  3. aliveboi

aliveboi New Member

I am a HUGE fan of the musical. I've seen at least 5 different productions (if you count 2 products that were on video) and have even been in a product of the show. I really hope the movie doesn't screw this show up. The clips I've heard of Johnny Depp singing have been less than impressive (not because of his voice but because of his interpretation).

Oh, and here's some links to the bulge in Sacha's (Adolfo Pirelli's) pants.

Ooh, look at Borat’s bulge in Sweeney Todd!

Signor Adolfo Pirelli

4. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

I too am a huge Sweeney Todd fan, and I will be at the movies on Friday when it opens. I desperately hope they have done it justice. The role of Mrs. Lovett is key. I can't imagine anyone being better in that role than Angela Lansbury was.

I loved the show so much that I named my dog Nellie Lovett.

5. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Burton regularly works with Depp, regularly explores macabre themes in his films, regularly has music as a central component to his films, and though this wouldn't be his first Christmas movie, what does Sweeney Todd have to do with Christmas? Good combination, but not exactly a novel one.

6. jorpollew

jorpollew Member

I also happen to be a Sweeney Todd fanatic. For 25+ years, it's probably been my most favorite theater musical.

Looking at the website and reading the previews, I did not get the impression that it was being promoted as a "Christmas" movie. Thank god!
    And I wasn't surprised that Tim Burton was directing it. The story line has a grim, dark, macabre presence that he likes to bring to the screen.

However, I was shocked to hear that Depp and Bonham-Carter were the lead roles. They're too young!! Or maybe I'm just an oldhead jaded by the awesome portrayals done by Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou. I guess Depp and Bonham-Carter were cast to attract younger audiences.

Also, a few years ago I saw a local production where Sweeney Todd was cast by a lyric baritone with a slight build. Very disappointing. He was so wimpy and annoying that I wanted to slash his throat!! (I wondered how many bjs that Queeney Todd sucked off to get that role!). I envision Sweeney has a broad man with a big voice-- lots of stage presence. I like Depp, but I can't imagine him in this big singing role at a mere 5'9" and 150 lbs. Maybe Brendan Fraser should have been a young Sweeney? (Hey, that would conjure up all sorts of fantasies!!) But Depp and the movie have already gotten some big award nominations, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'll see the movie this weekend for sure.

7. aliveboi

aliveboi New Member

I don't know if Depp is too young. Sweeney's been deported for 15 years and has a 16 year old daughter. I figure that could put him in his late 30s - early 40s. Depp is 44, so the age is about right.

The last production I saw of the show was at the Kennedy Center in DC with Brian Stokes Mitchell in the lead. The moment he opened his mouth to sing, I nearly hit the floor. He has one of the most right baritone-bass voices around today. Christine Baranski was Lovette and did a fine job in the role - she made Lovette a bit more dark and villainous (as if baking people into meat pies isn't villainous enough).

8. jorpollew

jorpollew Member

Depp, 44??!! Is that right? Wow, I would have guessed him in his mid-30's. But even if Depp "chronologically" fits the part, he still has to come off as a credible Sweeney-- a gruff, scorned, middle-aged jailbird husband and father who's got a real axe (or razor) to grind against the world. I think baby-face Depp looks like he still has milk on his breath!

The Mitchell-Baranski duo sounds sinfully delightful. I wish I had known about it, because I defintely would have traveled to see that. I first saw Sweeney at DC's Kennedy Center, too, when I was a college student. It was in 1981 with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn. A great night and memorable experience.

9. jorpollew

jorpollew Member

I saw Sweeney Todd on Xmas Eve. I enjoyed the movie-- give it 3 stars.

I think Depp and Bonham Carter did fine work, esp for such vocally demanding parts. I personally still think they "looked" too young for the roles. But I admit that I bring my personal prejudice to this subject.
    I was disappointed with Anthony's casting. Nice voice, but he looked so scrawney and pitiful. Judge Turpin was sexier than him!** Anthony is suppose to be the "knight-in-shining-armour" role. He should look like your cornfed, hunky, "boy-next-door" type. I really enjoyed Beadle's character (that guy was creepy), and casting Tobias as a boy waif was very effective, too. They both definitely deserve nods for supporting role awards.

The set design and costumes were excellent. However, I found the lighting incredibly dark and almost a nuisance. (Okay, Tim Burton, we got your point that this a dark story, now flip a light switch please!) I appreciated Burton's choice of blood and introducing it so early in the film. By it looking so obviously fake (like red fingernail polish) it made it easier for the audience to handle the murder and slashing scenes. I wasn't prepared for all the brutal body-dumpings, but they were also very effective. A good touch.

My biggest criticism is Burton not playing up the Beggar Woman's role. WHY THE HELL DID HE OMIT HER OPENING SCENE THAT WAS IN THE STAGE MUSICAL??!! She had so little screen time that it did not give the audience a chance to care about her character or how truly pivotal her role is to the story. A huge oversight!!

I would be very curious to hear from someone who was not familiar with the story-- someone for whom this movie was an introduction to "Sweeney Todd"? My partner was in that category. But when he heard all the singing, he gave up and fell asleep within the first 30 minutes. I had to nudge him when he started snoring during Toby's solo! Oh, why must we tarry with these cutural philistines?! (Ok, my partner's got a nice big dick, so I'll cope with the movie snoring.) :mischievous:

**trivia: Judge Turpin looked so familiar to me, but until his last scene in the movie, I could not remember what movie I had seen him in. He was the villain in the first "Die Hard" movie (lates 80's). I'm sure he's done some other work in the last 20 years, but that was my only memorable reference for him.

10. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I thought the movie was really well done. One of my favorites among Burton's recent offerings (Charlie, Corpse, Apes...). I thought Depp and Carter were both great in their respective roles and looked plenty old enough. The guy playing Anthony was kind of scrawny, yes, but as the love interest of a similarly scrawny 15 year old girl I felt it was appropriate. Alan Rickman played creepy and insidious as well as he always does. I also loved Sacha Baron Cohen's character, very amusing, and yes his bulge is quite noticeable and prominent.

I'm sure part of the reason the beggar woman doesn't get as much screen time as I assume she gets in the musical is that even with the little she has, it's already pretty obvious to an audience member (myself) who had never heard the story before who the character really is long before the big reveal. It was smart to keep her hidden to not arouse suspicions even earlier. I know that's not the style of Broadway musicals where EVERYTHING is played up for maximum melodrama, but it worked in the context of a film. By and large I could predict most of the little twists a good 5-25 minutes ahead of time, and that's alright, it would have been disappointing if I saw such a big one coming an hour and 45 minutes down the road.

Also:
    Alan Rickman

Rickman is a very accomplished character actor, though not one whose name most people know. For me his most memorable roles have included Prince John in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films, Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest, the Metatron in Dogma, and Richis in Perfume. He was also great as the voice of Marvin the super smart robot in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He seems to chiefly get one of two roles: either the creepy and insidious antagonist as he played in Sweeney, or the comic relief with the very dry deadpan melancholy wit as he played in Galaxy Quest. I think he excels at both. His role in Potter is sort of a fusion of the two. In Perfume he got to play something a bit different.

11. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

I saw Sweeney Todd the night it opened with 3 of my friends, all of whom had seen it on Broadway more than once. As I mentioned in my previous post, I loved the original Broadway production and in fact I saw it 7 times. I thought the movie was great and horrible at the same time. The acting is fabulous, especially Johnny Depp. Helena Bonham Carter is good, but I don't think anyone could ever do Mrs. Lovett as well as Angela Lansbury. The young man who plays Toby was extraordinary. The guy who plays Anthony has a really good voice but physically I thought was miscast. The music is very well done, though they unfortunatley omitted a couple of very good numbers from the original. The thing that I found very disturbing was the graphic violence. It's a very bloody and very violent film. In the play, a lot of that was left up to the imagination. The blood was not a big deal, because 1) at least part of the time it was clearly fake and 2) I worked in operating rooms for over 25 years so blood does not phase me. But the violence - the bodies being dumped, usually with the heads slamming into the ground, and the scene near the end where Sweeney kills the character (don't want to be a spoiler and say which character) in the bake house...that violence is just so overt and overwhelming. I found myself shaken by it and had difficulty sleeping that night. I don't think I could, or would want to, sit through the movie again. I have the stage production on videotape, and I will watch that if I get a Sweeney Todd craving.

12. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

The two times I saw the movie most of the violence got more chuckles than gasps. I'm surprised so many were bothered by it.

13. Total Tony

Total Tony New Member

I liked it.
    Thought Helena Bonham-Carter was amazing.
    The little kid was great as well. What a voice! For 10 or 11 years old (or whatever he is) Very impressive.

14. b0b3rt831

b0b3rt831 Member

Pirelli's death was by far my favorite. Def. the bloodiest!

15. vcxz4321

vcxz4321 Member

saw sweeeney
    loved it
    thought it was fantastic
    helena bonham carter is a goddess who broke my heart
    i like that her voice isn't u know patti lupone style
    thats its sweet adn almost innocent in quality
    loved the boy who played toby thought he was phenomenal
    not while i'm around made me bawl
    and depp is fantastic as always
    im crossing my fingers for oscar nominations for all 3
    and i didn't like anthony either
    he bored me
    but i loved johanna and veryone else

16. vcxz4321

vcxz4321 Member

oh and does sascha baron cohen have a big dick or not?
    i mean i know the thing was padded in the movie
    but in borat in the infamous naked fight scene
    the black thing went pretty far down like almost to his knees
    coudl have been fake but still
    i wonder

17. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

obviously the scene in Borat was a joke

18. aliveboi

aliveboi New Member

I FINALLY got to see this movie, and, overall, I wasn't disappointed.

All the actors did a fine job. For me, the stand out performance was the boy playing Toby. And I was pleasantly surprised by Sasha's performance. My only real problem was HBC's performance. Her interpretation of the role was very dry. I feel her character should be more bubbly and energetic to counter the seriousness of Todd. Don't get me wrong, there were some spots of her performance that I thought were excellent (I loved the film's interpretation of By the Sea).

As far as the cuts to the script go, most of them seemed alright as I know they had to make the film fit within 2 hours. But Johanna's first scene with Anthony, I thought, was poorly conceived for the film. The two barely exchange glances through the window and cutting the role of the birdseller made Johanna's song make little sense -- plus we lose the scene where Anthony buys Johanna the bird.

I did like all the additional scenes added to the Turpin role -- Rickman is an excellent actor and I loved his performance.

I could go on and on comparing the movie to the original, but I'll leave it with what I've said so far.

19. jorpollew

jorpollew Member

Hey, I liked reading your review and wouldn't mind reading more.

To me, it was painstackingly clear that Burton's focus and thrust for the Sweeney Todd movie was totally about aesthetics (design, image, etc.)-- not about character development.

My intro to Sweeney Todd was just with the stage cast album (yes, the 12" LP with its libretto booklet! It was at least 2 years before I actually saw the stage show for the first time.) I remember being so awestruck and moved at the climax, and part of that was out of my sympathy for Sweeney's character. Who'd think anyone would feel sorry for a razor-slashing, murdering barber? But it happened, and primarily b/c Sweeney's flawed human side was so effectively portrayed to the audience/listener. I think Burton miserably failed in getting the audience to "care enough" about Sweeney. To Burton's credit, it will probably become a goth culture classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted