1. badboybryce

badboybryce Active Member

Albums:
    I may switch careers and join the entertainment industry in broadcasting or film/tv production. I hear that there are two REAL ways of making it in:

Knowing someone who's already in, or sleeping with someone to get in. And this is usually same gender sex.

Is anyone in the industry or know someone who is? Can you/they attest to any of this? I would really appreciate all honest comments.

2. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

I wish I could answer your question about the way american companies work. All I can say is over here, having connections is almost necessary. Unless you excel and are exceptional in your school work.
    I have my journalism degree and you develop contacts through your programs from school anyway.

I doubt if I helped, but I want to say all the best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

3. TforTrapeze

TforTrapeze Member

Albums:
    i am in the THEATER industry, and if this helps:

NO JOB you have to sleep with someone to get is worth having

NOW, in response to getting a job in entertainment the REAL way,
    there are 3 tiers when you audition that you get put in: A, B, and C.
    You will start as A: a person the director doesn't know and hasn't heard anything about. If you work real hard, you'll eventually get to B

B: a person the director has heard you've worked with someone THEY know, your reputation has bounced up a bit. THen they might move you to column C.

C: a person the director knows of, you've worked with someone THEY know, and now they want to work with you.

Sleeping with someone for a job, is pointless. Who you've worked with, and what they think of you is the most important thing.

Good luck.

4. avg_joe

Gold Member

I heard that Katie Couric did both. :biggrin1:

5. msu_hotboy

msu_hotboy New Member

Albums:
    I'M in school right now for journalism!
    I wanna become a news anchor.
    As far as knowing someone (THAT'S TRUE)
    JUST REMEMBER TO BE NICE TO EVERYBODY ( YOU NEVER KNOW WHO KNOWS WHO) TURNS OUT THE GUY THAT CUTS MY HAIR, KNOWS THE HEAD OF THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM AT THE RADIO STATION I WANNA WORK AT THIS SUMMA!

6. leenyc97

leenyc97 Member

Albums:
    I work in film production. There are all sorts of opportunities for you. Do some research and figure out what you want to do in film. Production, wardrobe, hair and make-up, locations, lighting, grip and rigging, camera, continuity, sound recording, are a few of the jobs on a film set. Then there is post production with editing, sound design, negative cutting, and post production supervision.

Check out Mandy.com and apply for a job as a Production Assistant. You will get a good sense of the work that goes on while filming and while preparing to film. As a PA you will drive, help control the set and the street crowds, do personal errands for cast, pick up and drop off film and equipment. In general, assist anyone who needs assistance. But, most importantly, you will get a clear idea of the crafts that go into making a movie and be able to choose a career path.

I have hired countless PA's who went on to work as Production Managers, Line Producers, make-up artists, art directors camera operators, AD's and so on. Smart, hard working, responsible people will find themselves with a lot of opportunity in film making.

If you want to be an actor, take a class and get an agent. You can register with an agency that provides extras. This is not a good way to 'move up' to actor, but it will get you on set.

Once you have a film or two under your belt you will have a good sense of where you want to go in the business.

7. badboybryce

badboybryce Active Member

Albums:
    Thanks All. But I never said that I'd be willing to sleep with anyone for a job! I thought that I should make that very clear!

Draft saved Draft deleted