Swollen scrotum & penis

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For the past 3 months I've been getting hives. I generally break out in the evening. Some of the welts fade overnight, but I wake up with new ones. After I get to work, they usually fade within a couple of hours.

A couple of weeks ago, my upper lip started to swell, so I went to my doctor and he gave me a week's supply of prednisone (a corticosteroid), a couple of prescription antihistamines, and a referral to an allergist.

I had to stop taking the antihistamines 5 days ago, in preparation for allergy tests tomorrow. I almost made it until then, but when I woke up this morning, my scrotum was swollen. It was a weird, but not unpleasant sensation. Even in a half-awake state, I was curiously aware of their size and weight, and how that caused them to move differently every time I changed positions. I even got a bit aroused, but was too sleepy to do anything about it.

When I woke more fully and forced myself to get out of bed, I checked them more carefully. The swelling was in the scrotum, not the balls. In fact, my sack was so puffed up, I had trouble even finding them in there. Consequently, I couldn't feel the weight of my balls (as if they were floating inside the sack), but I felt the weight of the sack itself. As I said, it was a weird, but not unpleasant, sensation.

As I got ready for work, my penis started to swell, too, but that wasn't as nice. The swelling wasn't in the erectile tissue like when you get an erection, but in the skin. It was soft and puffy and irregular and did not look at all good.

Knowing that I had an appointment with an allergist tomorrow, I decided to just try to get through the day, so I put on some supportive boxer briefs and went to work. As the day progressed, my left cheek began to swell, and gradually moved to the right. By the time I left work, my upper lip was swollen. Now, at 9:00 p.m., the swelling has mostly moved to the right side of my face.

As for my scrotum and penis, the swelling is now down, but far from gone.

Hopefully I'll be back to normal by tomorrow or, if not, the allergist can give me something fast-acting. But I will kind of miss having a big ballsack.

B_Jordan85

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hope you get better. I know its tough to stay positive. Try to put it in the back of your mind while the meds do their work. Preoccupy yourself with something to keep your mind off of it.

cgttown

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Have you investigated whether you may be allergic to something specifically in your bed, or perhaps to laundry detergent that you use to wash the sheets and/or your clothes? From reading your post, it sounds like maybe you get better when you're at work but worse when you're at home, which makes me think maybe something in the environment is irritating you. Since your privates were irritated when you woke, that's what made me think that maybe it was sheets or something that was rubbing against it that irritated it.

Last, maybe it's a new soap you're using? I don't know. I just think it would be wise to try and find the allergen if you can because it doesn't sound like a food allergy or an allergy to something in the air such as pollen or ragweed or mold. Meds are great, but better still is to find what is making you feel bad and then stop exposing yourself to it if possible.

I hope you feel better soon, man. Good luck.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks for the support guys. The doctor thinks I may have had a viral infection a few months ago that kicked my immune system into overdrive, so that my body is now producing too many histamines. He said cases like this normally resolve in about 4 months, but can go as long as 2 years.

To be sure, he ordered a bunch of blood tests. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do the skin scratch tests because of some medication I'm on. When I made the appointment, the woman I spoke to told me to stop taking antihistamines 5 days before my appointment, but didn't say anything about discontinuing any other medications that may interfere with the tests. I have another appointment in about 4 weeks.

In the meantime, the doctor told me to take Zyrtec once or twice a day as needed. He indicated that is should work quite well, but to call him if it didn't do the trick. He also gave me a prescription for an epi-pen, just as a precaution.

This morning's outbreak of hives (which was one of the worst I've had) did go down after I took the Zyrtec, but it usually goes down by that time of day anyway. The real test will be if it prevents an outbreak tonight and keeps me from waking up with hives tomorrow morning.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Have you investigated whether you may be allergic to something specifically in your bed, or perhaps to laundry detergent that you use to wash the sheets and/or your clothes?...maybe it's a new soap you're using?

I've been using the same laundry detergent for years, but just in case I've been washing my clothes twice--once with detergent, and once with plain water, so that they are thoroughly rinsed. I also put allergy covers on my mattress and pillows.

I have been using a couple of new hand soaps and a new dishwashing liquid, but the problem persist even when I'm away from home (see below).

From reading your post, it sounds like maybe you get better when you're at work but worse when you're at home, which makes me think maybe something in the environment is irritating you.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too, but I was in Pennsylvania for 4 days back in February and the problem happened there, too. It also happened when I visited my folks a couple of weekends ago.

I just think it would be wise to try and find the allergen if you can...and then stop exposing yourself to it if possible.

Agreed. Alas, as I mentioned, I had to postpone the skin scratch tests, but maybe they or the blood tests will show something. On the other hand, if the doctor is right, it's actually a temporary immune system problem that needs to run its course.

I hope you feel better soon, man. Good luck.

Thanks very much.