Sydney's Gay Pride event

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Lightkeeper, Mar 5, 2007.

1. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

In the newspaper, it was reported out-actor Rupert Everett and 250 men dressed as "Lylie Minogue" were among some 8,000 merry revelers who marched in the parade last Saturday.
    I'd be willing to bet most of the media focused on the drags focusing fuel to the idea to most "straights" that gays are just limp-wristed queens.

2. Talmidge

Talmidge Active Member

Albums:
    All the gays guys I know (3) arent like that at all, but then again its kinda in vogue to be super camp these days

3. elf

elf New Member

I watched the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade (along with 300,000 other people lining the streets). There were 8,000 people marching in the parade and they represented various groups and causes. The evening was lots of fun and there were many families with young kids cheering on the marchers.

The biggest cheers were for the gay police (state and federal), paramedics and firefighters who all marched in uniform.

The media coverage I saw was positive and focused on the political statements (about the Australian Prime Minister and about discriminatory laws in this country) rather than just on the usual colourful drag queens and leather boys.

4. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    True, Elf. Many visitors are surprised at the political and community focus of the Sydney celebrations--the vast majority of the people marching in the parade aren't in costume. Most are carrying placards, or just making a statement.

But it would be a very somber affair if that were all. The event is, after all, a celebration--music, dance and costume are all part of that (pardon teh expression) gaiety.

Stereotypes? Sure. But they're stereotypes which, until 1981 in New South Wales, you could be arrested for conforming to. Why drag? Because you can.

5. elf

elf New Member

Don't get me wrong. I salute the courage of people in drag and I think it's great that everyone dresses and acts however they want. It's just that I'm happy the wider community is starting to realise that gay, lesbian and bi people aren't limited to the stereotypes. Personally, I'm more cotton than leather!

Draft saved Draft deleted