Symptoms of a heart attack

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A lot of women don't have the classic signs of a heart attack that you read about. My mother experienced what she thought was food poisoning. She was a nurse and didn't recognize the symptoms herself. She had nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and some indigestion. She went to the emergency room 3 times over the course of a week. It wasn't until the last visit that she had any pain at all. She told the nurse she was having chest pain and then fainted. Her heart was so damaged by then that she didn't survive. She was 52.

PLEASE do not sit and wait on any symptoms you think might be heart related. Call your physician, or get to the hospital. A lot of times women get dismissed as being overly emotional, or hysterical instead of being taken seriously when it comes to heart attacks. Go anyway - it's better to be safe.

Reactions: 286798 and MisterB

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
thank you very much for this information. i have had what i would call increasing heartburn as i have aged, but this seems largely related to spicy foods: these days spicier food (which i love!) make me need Tums later on if i eat too much. i am not sure i would call this indigestion. indigestion to me means upset tummy, grumbly tummy, gassy maybe? i don't know, these terms seem used ambiguously by some. heartburn to me means a burning esophagus from a spicy food that lingers.

i do thank my sister for calling it to my attention last night that arm tingling especially left arm tingling can be a sign in women of something related to heart attack or heart issues. i had noticed it for a couple days off and on and not in a regular way like i just woke up and was side sleeping on my left arm so it fell asleep. i had no other symptoms, chest pains, any low blood pressure, nothing like that.

One of the symptoms women often present with in heart attack is pain in their JAW.

As to heartburn... Persistant heartburn can lead to barret's esophagus, which often develops into cancer- which is what killed old time member here Jason Els.
Believe it or not- the PRIMARY culprit in Persistent heartburn is NOT spicy foods... its WHEAT- which is in practically everything, from cake- to liquorice.

That- along with Caffeine and Alcohol from the main sources of heartburn, but generally, giving up wheat- or dramtically reducing your intake of it can make heartburn disappear entirely.
As long as I don't eat much wheat, especially no bread, I can continue to have coffee.

You gotta pick your poisons.

...relieved to hear your ticker is not to blame.