Take care of your bartenders!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by nwarluvs2jo, Dec 3, 2006.

1. nwarluvs2jo

nwarluvs2jo New Member

Albums:
    So I head out with some friends last night to a local gay bar. A dude comes up to the bar and starts saying something to a guy standing to my right. When the female bar tender (Smoking hot, BTW) comes over to get his order he orders and then says something rude.

I couldn't make it out, but she was obviously pissed off. He gets his drink, walks away and I make the comment "What an Asshole." She smiles, shakes her head and then says "Nope...What a Cocksucker."

A couple people at the bar just start rolling with laughter. I don't know if he's always a jerk, but in the environment we were in her comment hit the bullseye.

Take care of your bartenders! Don't be a jerk.

2. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been working in bars since i was 13 and I can tell you, you will meet no nicer people than bartenders.

They're always really nice, and they have to be, since they deal with drunks.

Onew of my best friends is a bartender and he gets stiffed by drunks all the time, but he still doesnt get angry...

I agree! Take care of your barkeepers!:biggrin1:

3. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Working "on the other side of the counter", so to speak, SUCKS. People who've never done so don't understand it, and that guy probably never served food, worked a checkout lane, or even served beer. No wonder he was a jackass.

I remember a fairly hot bartender who actually remembered what I wanted to drink, even on a busy Friday night three or weeks later. Another, whom I innocently but obviously flirted with (just enough to make her smile, but without adding pressure), refilled my glass four or five times but just charged me once.

4. dannymawg

Gold Member

Coming from a city with a bar on every corner...

At least a dollar per drink tip, folks. $2 on a $7 martini - or you know what? Make them keep the change from a $10.

Maybe that third martini will be on the house :biggrin1:

A drink costs what it costs. Tipping is karma and pays for the atmosphere.

5. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amen!! I love bartenders. They provide sustinance. :biggrin1:
    I'm a firm believer in tipping well, as long as its warrented.

6. BigA

BigA New Member

I don't get it. You couldn't hear what he said, yet you knew he was an asshole:confused:. I could see wanting to give her sympathy, but only to get on her good side.

Also I don't see why her calling him a cocksucker is such a funny or appropriate insult. People around could have been gay... certainly not professional.

7. MonsterUncut

MonsterUncut Active Member

Albums:

My hat goes off to you, and those who have responded. I've managed, and bartended for many many years, and it's people like you who make us want to get back behind that bar night after night. "Assholes", well that's just what they are, nothing anyone can say or do will change that. When I'm given a tip, I make sure to thank them, and often do buy them a drink or two throughout the night. You remember those much more than the assholes. It's amazing how many people pay for a drink and just walk away without even a nod, or a thank you. I comped a few drinks for a group one time because all they said was thank you, with a smile. Sometimes that's all you need to make a difference between an ok night, and a great night. The golden rule still stands, treat others as you would like to be treated and you'll go far. I think I can speak for other bartenders on this...thanks again to all of you who take care of all of us!
    Peace

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Heheh, how stupid do you have to be, really, to say shitty things to someone serving you food or drinks?

9. D_Peacocke Rimplougher

and if you have balls of steel, if the night is dull, chat up the bartender.

I have gotten many one night stands from doing this.

10. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    For a bartender to have such a reaction, whatever he said must've been rude indeed. Joking about it with her lets her blow off steam, because now she knows that a customer is on her side. That's quite a comfort.

A bar is hardly a professional environment anyway. Plus, he broke the ice with the word "asshole", and she ran with it by upping it to "cocksucker".

And... gay? So what? That's irrelevant. I'm sure she's slobbed a few knobs herself.

Draft saved Draft deleted