"Take Over Mov't" 99% support or no

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Unfortunately, these guys ain't making life better for anyone. The city of New York wanted to move in and clean up the park, protesters wouldn't move. Can't imagine what this will cost to clean up either.

Austin city had to pressure wash City Hall to remove grafitti. Responsible bunch.

Anyone else see what happened here?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Austin city had to pressure wash City Hall to remove grafitti. Responsible bunch.

Yes, no argument. Just deflection. However, having lived many years in Austin, TX, I can assure you no amount of pressure washing of anything can get rid of the cockroaches in that city.

I remember well the standard saying: "Rich people have water bugs. Only poor people have cockroaches." Classic Texas logic. :biggrin1:

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of the liberal strong holds in Texas too. Lots of roaches, I agree.

I've also heard through the grape vine that many smaller businesses are in dire straits with the mob in town.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
laughable that anyone would think they have the support of 99%.

If so, then why in just the NYC/New England area, an area of approximately 40 million people, (when the unions pay members to participate by bussing them in), the group can only muster, in several cities, with the weather perfect, only a few thousand people cumlative to all the area protests and only a few hundred at most in some cities. Laughable.

Who said they have the support of 99%? They're protesting on *behalf* of 99%.

Someone has to.

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The concept of 99% is laughable at best anyway. It's not a set list of people who are on the list, it's dynamic. Say, a living document if you will. Standing around protesting isn't helping their position any.

Oh, still don't support it.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The concept of 99% is laughable at best anyway. It's not a set list of people who are on the list, it's dynamic. Say, a living document if you will. Standing around protesting isn't helping their position any.

Oh, still don't support it.

As the 1% continues to pull further and further away from the 99%, I'd say the laughter becomes increasingly hollow.

If you don't support the protests, what *do* you support to address the insane economic disparity in this country?

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
The problem is that as the income rises above a certain level changes taking place in taxation codes over the past fifty years slowly evolved to reward that highest percentage that has become so very controversial. If you look at the history of taxation in the United States the taxation on corporations and on private individuals reaching what we shall kindly refer to as Mega Incomes" has been greatly reduced while taxation on all levels of middle income has in fact gone up. What is really sad is that many who make over $100,000 per year are now getting taxed more than ever. What they do not realize is that the upper most individuals and corporate entities have stolen their wealth in a most clever way, the individuals considering themselves wealthy are in fact now upper middle income. They do not realize that the tax breaks are going to the people who are in fact billionaires and that even the lower end millionaires are now paying for people farther up the feeding chain than they are. They are screaming and they have every right to scream, the problem is that they don't recognize the fact that the bigger guys have given them the elevator (shaft and all) worst of all. They should be the first ones fighting for change, but they, have been grossly mislead to think that they in fact are wealthy when they no longer really are. This is basically an advertising campaign and delusion that the top wants to preserve. This way they mass more and more money while never paying their fair share while managing to keep quiet and letting the smaller guy do their talking while they just sit back and smile. . . . . .

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
What they do not realize is that the upper most individuals and corporate entities have stolen their wealth in a most clever way, the individuals considering themselves wealthy are in fact now upper middle income. They do not realize that the tax breaks are going to the people who are in fact billionaires and that even the lower end millionaires are now paying for people farther up the feeding chain than they are. They are screaming and they have every right to scream, the problem is that they don't recognize the fact that the bigger guys have given them the elevator (shaft and all) worst of all. . . . .

I think I *like* this kind of conservative. :smile:

B_patrickmcc

Sexy Member
Media
"They do not realize that the tax breaks are going to the people who are in fact billionaires and that even the lower end millionaires are now paying for people farther up the feeding chain than they are. "

Ken please explain what these tax "breaks" are. I can only assume you are talking about Capital Gains taxes, which are not by any means "stolen". Nor do I think you can indict all billionaires, and corporations, in stating they stole their way to wealth. Steve Jobs certainly didn't, and neither did Oprah Winfrey.
I have no problem raising Capital Gains taxes, or merely making them progressive like regular income. Let the first 100k stay at 15%, then tart raising the tax incrementally.
But I have serious issues blaming billionaires for gleaming the system that congress put into place.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
But I have serious issues blaming billionaires for gleaming the system that congress put into place.

This is assuming that billionaires have no influence on who gets into congress in the first place or what legislation they pass once they get there.

jakesph

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This is assuming that billionaires have no influence on who gets into congress in the first place or what legislation they pass once they get there.

Then the protesters are obviously at the wrong place. If these billionaires have such influence(which of course we all know they do ) the "99%" should be in DC protesting their elected(ie:bought) officials who so dearly "represent" them.