Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I went to the OB-GYN today and im convinced that i want the Mirena. It only lasts 5 yrs (boo hoo) compared to the 10 yrs the Paraguard lasts but for most people it stops their period entirely and others only have a real light period. Paraguard made my cramps feel like childbirth. Ive tried everything for my cramps. Prescription Ibuprofen, Naproxem (I was prescribed low dose and when it didnt work I got the highest dose) and now the only thing that seems to work is the narcotic Hydrocodone but they don't wanna keep giving it to me because narcotics can be addictive (even though i rarely use it because the pain is only unbearable on the 1st and sometimes 2nd day of my period). I got the Paraguard because after being on the Depo Provera and Nuva Ring i've gained 50 lbs in the course of 3 yrs. The doctor said this doesn't have that side effect. Is this a good idea to solve my problem with cramps? Im not sure what else can be done about my cramps but to stop my period.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Having a mirena was the best contraceptive decision I'd ever made, I had a coil prior to that but it had become displaced so when I went to have another one the doctor asked me if I'd like a mirena, I'd never heard of it before but when she said that for a high percentage of women it considerably lightens periods or stops them I said yes like a shot. She told me that normally they tail off over six months or so but my very next period was extremely light, and the ones after that nothing more than spotting. Go for it although I don't think it would have any effect on cramps.

missdee

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I haven't ever used Mirena, but I know people who have had a lot of success with it. I say go for it. I don't know if it'll affect the cramps, but if they're that bad now, what do you have to lose, right?

missdee

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Although keep in mind that even if you don't actually have a period, you might still have the effects... like the cramping and stuff. There have been a couple of months that I missed my period, but I still had all the regular side effects.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I went to the OB-GYN today and im convinced that i want the Mirena. It only lasts 5 yrs (boo hoo) compared to the 10 yrs the Paraguard lasts but for most people it stops their period entirely and others only have a real light period. Paraguard made my cramps feel like childbirth. *SNIP*. Is this a good idea to solve my problem with cramps? Im not sure what else can be done about my cramps but to stop my period.[/QUOTE]
Painful menstrual periods
Common Causes

• Endometriosis
  • Fibroids
  • Intrauterine Device (IUD)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Pelvic inflammatory disease
  • Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
  • Sexually transmitted diseases
  • Stress and anxiety
The idea is that if I dont have a period i wont have cramps...lol thanks for the insite on mirena.
Have you been checked for uterine fibroids and/or ovarian cysts because thats what usually causes painful periods. Take care of those and you should get rid of the pain.:cool:

Daniel1

Cherished Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
My wife has this. For the most part it's pretty good aside from the initial cramping after its first inserted. The only problem we've had is that the strings are too short now and they poke me during intercourse. Once they're adjusted I'm sure they won't be a problem but I'll keep you posted. Most people can't feel the strings at all btw.

Firstly - Getting an IUD was the most painful thing I have ever had done. EVER. This is coming from a woman who gets needles shoved through flesh for fun.

As a fairly average sized (internally) woman, more endowed partners of mine have been able to feel the plastic (or whatever the f they are) strings on my Mirena IUD. Go figure that having plastic string things bumping/rubbing against the head of a cock is uncomfortable and noticeable through condoms, much less without one (when I had a partner I was fluid bonded with).

I had it for about 3.5 years when I started having extremely bad cramps, my cycles started becoming irregular, and anything penetrating my vagina felt horrible. I went to Planned Parenthood to have it removed, and they weren't able to. The strings were perfectly easily found, stayed attached, but no matter what angle the woman tried, or how hard she pulled it would not come out. So instead I just went through extremely bad pain and got to spot blood afterwards. I was told I should get an ultrasound and possibly an x-ray to see about it being removed. Unfortunately I haven't had the money for it to be taken care of.

September of this year will mark the 5th year that I've had it, which is when it should be removed anyway. I have horrible cramps (that lead to really bad lower back pain as well as making me feel like I should throw up), irregular cycles, and occasional blood spotting. Be warned that it CAN embed in your uterus (yes the chance isn't that high but still), and in the worst case scenario can require surgery to get it removed as well as potentially leaving scars on your uterus that can affect fertility, which is bad if you intend to have children at a later point.

tl;dr I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM