Talking too much.

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know if this is the right section for this.

I have been reading alot about BODY LANGUAGE. I noticed one thing it said that you have to slow down when talking and don't talk too much about nothing and don't think so much basically relax have an open mind and have a good time. I have confidence and I am going to put what I read to the test next time I go out. I do talk alot, so hopefully I can curb it some.

I am a happy person and with this knowledge I am going to go and attract me someone.

I figured I share my new found way of thinking.
Any advice would be great appreciated. It will help me with better body language.

Last edited:

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
I don't know if this is the right section for this.

I have been reading alot about BODY LANGUAGE. I noticed one thing it said that you have to slow down when talking and don't talk so much, basically relax. I have a tendacy to talk alot. I have confidence and I am going to put what I read to the test next time I go out.

I am a happy person and with this knowledge I am going to go and attract me someone.

I figured I share my new found way of thinking.
Any advice would be great appreciated. It will help me with better body language.

Yes, we can talk too much, as we can do anything "too much". We need times of silence where we just listen and be aware.:smile:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I generally like to be with people who have something to say. If you have no opinions on anything or no interesting stories or observations I'd rather just listen to the radio.

I don't mind people who talk to much at ALL. Just be your natural self and try to enjoy the conversation of the other people you are with. Don't be so self critical. Your talking skills can bridge those awkward gaps of silence in a gathering when you are with people who don't have anything to say.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think the key difference between being a brilliant conversationalist and a Chatty Kathy is the ability to listen to (and respond back in kind to) what others say. I've always been a better listener than talker, myself, though I say plenty when asked about something specific.

When I worked in professional high-end sales, the most frequent criticism I got was that I gave the customer too much information on the product. I'll admit that sometimes I'd over-answer a question, but much more often I was correcting an erroneous assumption on the customer's part, providing information required to make an informed decision. I never appreciated presentations that were all verbiage with no actual knowledge to back it up.

The one place I always presume to have someone's ear is when I'm writing: I'm verbose and run long. If the reader is disinterested, s/he can come back to it later or just put it down. Unlike a conversation, reading comes at the reader's sole discretion.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Please remember that even when you are silent, your body is telling quite a bit about you, whether you like it or not! It's not necessary to make words to communicate except to be polite. Knowing the right formulaic inanities for the situation is a social skill.

I have always had a very easy to read face, and tended to not speak much in consequence. People I was with would simply look at me and continue talking as if I had said the words. This was a disadvantage when I married a real talker-- he would go on and on for hours, filling the air with the sound of his own voice in order to soothe himself. Sometimes I would grow weary of having to interrupt, and he began to resent my 'not holding my end up' with noises out of my mouth. He would not be noticing what my body language might be telling him, unlike others. It led to eventual estrangement.

You can learn a lot from body language, but be sure to gravitate to people who have similar styles of communication as yourself, for the long term associations.

shr1125

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Active listening is a skill that can be learned. In many situations (e.g. academic, business, interpersonal), it's better to actively listen rather than passively let the speaker dump information upon you. Listening actively really isn't anything more than being an engaging listener and asking relevant questions either in order to clarify a point or just to retrieve more information. At the very least, the body language of an active listener is more pronounced than one of a passive listener. An active listener looks the speaker in the eye and leans in to the speaker while a passive listener does none of these things.

In interpersonal relationship, I'm a better listener than I am a speaker. I can be just as engaging asking the questions of whomever I'm speaking with rather than being the center of attention. When I want to make someone feel special, I let them talk and I try to keep the topic on them (or something of their choosing) rather than wrest the conversation away.

That said, I can talk a mile a fucking minute about anything and everything if given the chance!