Tanning = ugly!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Hickboy, May 23, 2010.

1. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I love dark skin, if it's in a person's genes to have it, but the bronze beauties of today are the wrinkled old hags of tomorrow. Deliberately exposing one's self to the sun is just pathological, and an invitation to skin cancer.

2. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with you. I used to tan when I was 20-23 around that age now I'm in my late 20's and I'm pretty much back to my natural color and I see a dermatologist every year. People are crazy about laying in the sun. I am not a sun worshipper. It does not bother me if people are pale, I'm more likely to gripe at the "tanned" person about skin cancer and wrinkle's. People always say oh you got alittle sun I thought you burned because your so pale, why don't you lay out. I correct them and say NOPE the sunblock didn't last that's the only reason I got any sun. I actually just saw aveeno is supposed to have a 100% sunblock out last night on tv.

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I look better with a tan. But I tan very easily. I get brown doing errands. I would never dream of going to a tanning bed or having one sprayed on but I like being a little sun kissed.

4. Randll86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I live in Florida and use sun screen at all times, and I still get tan. I have some body glove stuff but I hate wearing it...I would run around naked If I could...my lilly white ass would need 5 gallons of sun screen. :smile:

5. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Has there been any reliable studies done that determine if it is ANY amount of tanning, or just habitual over tanning that causes that leathery appearance?

Gawd, I've seen elderly ladies (surprisingly enough, no men??) that had skin that wouldn't even qualify as good looking leather, and they were still laying out on the beach, and dark.:eek: I guess it can be as addictive as anything else.

**edit - I just thought of how I can tie this post into the "revenge on an ex" thread. I'll just watch her turn into bad leather, lol. She's a habitual sun worshipper

#5 Countryguy63, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

There are extremes in tanning. Especially elderly women and men who lay day in and day out in the sun so their skin can look like leather.
    But it is also healthy.
    I studied today in the sun because the sun gives me energy.
    From mid spring to mid autumn the sunbeams has the right frequency for your skin to make vitamine D. Vitamine D is the vitamine that gives lots of energy but isn't available in food (or very less). Vitamine D is stored in your fat so you can go through wintertime with your vitamine D. So it is still quite important to get in the sun and get your skin in contact with the sun.
    A tan is just a benefit of that.

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Benefit? No. It's a symptom of the damage done by overdoing it.

8. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Ugh, I hate tan-obsessed people. They just end up looking ridiculous, especially those orange folk.
    I've a good Mediterranean friend whose natural skin tone is obviously dark, but despite that, she still goes to tanning beds. She goes from gorgeous dark skin, to orangey leather!

9. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I am an obsessive sunscreen user and I have the milk white skin to prove it! My father is a skin cancer survivor.

I only fake tan when I go on vacation to sunny places so I don't look so odd in vacation photos, because let's face it, people who are ghost white in a bikini on a beach look terrible in photos, and then I wear sunscreen obsessively while I'm in the sun so I don't succumb to my genetic weakness for skin cancer.

#9 petite, May 23, 2010
  10. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Being a fair complected night owl, im vitamin D deficient. There is a way to get proper amounts of sun without doing damage to the skin. Just 20-30 minutes in the sun, even for me, doesn't burn my skin.

It's like plastic surgery, some people just don't realize how weird they look after they've gone off the deep end. Some UV is better than no UV. And skin melanomas are a risk factor for everyone, including the super fair people like me. I have more spotting of really dark freckles/moles which can easily turn into melanoma over the course of my lifetime.

There are plenty of pasty white elderly people taking up the dermatologist office appointments getting treatment for skin cancer.

Some people look better fair, others look better with a little tan. I don't think anyone looks right with a super fake bake tan. I'm naturally attracted to those with more olive and darker complections.

11. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

You could say the same of any number of habits, smoking, drinking alcohol, staying up late, eating unealthy foods and not getting any exercise, just to name a few. What's pathological is the human desire for short term gratification at the risk of self destruction, to one extent or another we all indulge in this kind of gratification.

12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I agree that accepting a cancer risk in order to look more attractive for a short period of time is what is most disturbing. Sun damage is the most like smoking, since with both you're increasing your risk for a certain type of cancer.

I am lucky that pale skin seems to look good on me. At least I think so. And I only fake bake for beach photos. It doesn't look bad IRL, at least no one I went on vacation with last time mentioned it, and I was with a few people who would have if it looked bad! (TheBF just now, "Oh god they would have ripped on us if we looked bad! They would have made fun of us the entire trip!" when I asked him if he thought someone would have said anything about the fake bake if it looked unattractive.) :redface:

You can't tell at all in photos that it's fake bake and I like that, having the fun pictures to remind me of good memories without cringing when I look at them because I look so pale! :smile:

#12 petite, May 23, 2010
  13. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I use a tanning booth once every few weeks to maintain enough of a tan so that I don't look pasty-white. This photo shows me about as dark as I get (for comparison, this photo shows me before I started tanning -- though it's not a fair comparison since I was trimming my body hair very short at that time). I don't think it's overdone, but I don't know if it is safe even to do this much. Nobody in my family has ever had malignant melanoma.

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    As a kid, I spent most of my summers on various New England beaches or at my grandmother's lakefront summer home in New Hampshire. Being out in the sun was an essential part of my childhood.

My mother, as with so many other things, took tanning to ridiculous extremes. She even went so far as to buy a collapsible wind cabana so she could begin her beach tanning in April on a very cold Nantasket Beach. By June, her shoulders were purple-brown. Needless to say, her skin now looks like a piece of luggage.

Nowadays, despite living fewer than three miles from one of the finest beaches in the US, I rarely go. But one of my yearly highlights is the inevitable trip to Haulover Beach in Northern Miami when Lex and Bubba come down mid-summer, even if last time I experienced a sun-screen failure and wound up the color of a steamed lobster for about a week.

15. Adam Bleytou

Adam Bleytou Active Member

Albums:
    I think pale skin is beautiful. :smile:

And that's coming from somebody who's naturally tanned.

16. Gecko4lif

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nothing is wrong with tanning

as long as it is in moderation

And isnt a spray tan

And doesnt give you freckles

Or make your skin leathery....

17. witch

witch Member

:biggrin1: hell I was born with freckles, and was never one to lay about to tan, but did spend most of my life outside and this was a time (50s) no one talked about skin cancer or sunscreen.

:frown1: yes I have had skin cancer removed and must take care when going out in the sun now

18. D_Tim McGnaw

I don't find it disturbing Petite, I indulge in all manner of self destructive habits, my point was more that because of this I understand and tend not to judge other people's self destructive habits, I think it's a part of human nature.

Mind you I'm as white as a ghost and LOVE it so I'm with you on that. Though I too fake bake for sun holidays :redface:

Tanorexics do tend to look like crap though.

19. D_Tim McGnaw

Excuse me? Freckles are FUCKING AWESOME and seriously sexy. Or are you suggesting they carry some health risk?

20. Pandora77

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I am naturally blonde and very pale, and I like it that way!
    I used to be outside in the sun all day every summer when I was a kid, and I was pretty tanned then, but nowadays I only got sunburned, not tanned.
    When I was a teenager my two best friends (twins) were really obsessed with tanning. They went to the tanning studio pretty much daily, and at 19 they already had really bad and deep wrinkles all around their mouths.
    I might be pale, but at 27 I don't have one single wrinkle so far.
    And I have to agree with others on here, I think this leathery orange skin is really unattractive and unnnatural looking.
    We have this actress here in Germany, who used to be very attractive when she was younger. But now that she is over 50 and excessively going to the tanning stdio her skin looks like you could make luggage out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted