Tao Te Ching

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What do you think? Anyone else here like it?

If you don't/are a hardcore advocate of another philosophy/religion, go ahead and state your case.

I believe studying the tao te ching is beneficial to anyone of any religion.... as it does not at all oppose upon the rules of such religions, but does state a fundamental philosophy of the world... which I think westerners (including myself) can benefit from at least being aware of.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's the second most printed work in our history, so I would consider it worth a look. I haven't looked at it for a while - thanks for reminding me of my ignorance :smile: I'll have another dip.

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lordpendragon said:
It's the second most printed work in our history, so I would consider it worth a look. I haven't looked at it for a while - thanks for reminding me of my ignorance :smile: I'll have another dip.

LOL I blasted ignorance in another post on this website.... hopefully please do not combine them :p

I'm happy that at least one person looked at this stuff, even though it definately may "not be for you" kinda thing, I say it's at least worth looking at whoever you are... just one of those universal kinds of things.

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Pumblechook said:
LOL I blasted ignorance in another post on this website.... hopefully please do not combine them :p

I'm happy that at least one person looked at this stuff, even though it definately may "not be for you" kinda thing, I say it's at least worth looking at whoever you are... just one of those universal kinds of things.

Ever quote your own post.... I think I set a precedent... lol :)

Read the I Ching also... it IS the oldest written book in all of human history... and what I find ironic is that all the discoveries of human life have been found out..... all we do is reinvent them over and over.

Which does not mean to say be a lazy person and do nothing: ... what it says is do your best and invent something in ways we have never thought before.... yes...thats been done before, but it hasn't been done as well and in such an innovative way :wink:

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lordpendragon said:

Nope.

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lordpendragon said:

Nope says nothing.... while saying naught. says everyting.... and thus nothing.....

READ the first post link about the Tao before you ridicule... and actually do it. I already posted about jerks on the "orifice" post., so go read that if you want to be a jerk.

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lordpendragon said:

OOOOh.

Yup the Nope... I like your thinking.

But you never read what I linked oringallly and you don't give a damn about what most people think otherwise.....

so if you read the first link, and take it in, and think about it... ur ok.... therwise just keep trying to F* with me, I love it,.... cuz honestly, I F* with people so its ok lol

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I believe studying the tao te ching is beneficial to anyone of any religion.... as it does not at all oppose upon the rules of such religions, but does state a fundamental philosophy of the world

I bought a copy 20 years ago from money I got for my 21st birthday, along with a good collection of other significant world texts.

It is an important Chinese text.

We were taught, among other things, that to be civilised ,we ought to know something about the thought of a quarter of the world's population. Along with tai chi, it has played a significant part of my approach to life.

Btw, earlier I had studied Christian theology because I was training to be a Franciscan monk. It all helps, it is interesting, and useful.

I admit though, some of it is so obsure that I have to scratch my head and smile at times!

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I first came across the tao in a comic book that illustrated the Tao Te Ching. I then read the "Tao Of Pooh" and "The Te Of Piglet", both are like soft ways of absorption into the understanding of the tao. I then got into Alan Watts, probably the greatest western teacher of the watercourse way. His son runs his website, it is an invaluable source for information on taoism. These works are much more accesible and maybe even a more accurate rendering of the tao than the "I Ching" or the "Tao Te Ching", since they were both written by either emperors or scribes of the imperial court, and had both cultural and historic attachments that have recently been discarded for a more practical approach. They both had a hand at promoting the divination of the emperor, although the mystery of nature was actually transmited to paper at that time within the confines of those two works. Oh, and the "Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zhukav is a wonderful blend of taoist philosophy and quantum physics that easily readable and highly rewarding.