Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
They hurt.
They are expensive.
Some people love 'em.
Some assholes hate them.
And I love every, single, solitary inch of my inked self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So hippy, whatcha' thinking about getting put on?

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I've got two on my shoulder blades. Yeah, they are expensive and they hurt a little bit, but not nearly as bad as you might think. I can't think of anybody I've run into who had a problem with my tats. Of course, I'd have to take my shirt off to show the ink, and even then they're fairly discreet.

And the cool thing is, I think my right shoulder tattoo is covering a sensitive bundle of nerves in the area because, every so often, I get this strange tingling, tickling sensation. I just say it's the dolphins actually "swimming" around my yin-yang symbol.

Point being: You better absolutely, positively adore what you're going to put on your body, because if you even have a shred of doubt about the art, you're going to hate it and kick yourself in the ass down the road. So while I believe that it takes really brave and dedicated people to get the permanent ink, it isn't without its moments of tension.

B_werfghj

Experimental Member
Media
Take it from me Hippy,
GOOD TATTOOS ARE NOT CHEAP, AND CHEAP TATTOOS ARE NOT GOOD!
NOW, take it from me, I have A LOT of tattoo's I'm nearly fully sleaved, and I have my chest done.
questions I ask MYSELF before going in for a sit:

1. THE MOST IMPORTANT, "AM I going to be able to live with this FOREVER?"
- be sure to get something that has REAL meaning to you.

2. What Style or theme are you going for? are you going to keep getting more? and if so, keep it consistant. e.g. black and grey, or color.

3. Placement, having tattoos all over, I know the sting of people pre judging me,
( my wife has more tattoos then I do ) when we go out to a nice resturaunt, or even out in public, we do get looks, espically when w have our daughter, people automatically assume that we are white trash, and bad parents to boot.
take my advice, before you commit yourself, keep them somewhere that you can conceal with your average T shirt.

4. the Artist. not all artists are created equal, the best way I think to pick a artist,
is that you see someone w/ GREAT tattoos, and ask them where they got thiers, make a appointment to meet the artist, and see his books, ask him what his specialty is, if it doesn't match what you want to do, find someone else.
some artists are great traditional, ( my style of choice ) but couldn't do NEW SKOOL to save thier lives, ask them. different artists have different styles.
do your homework.

5. THE SHOP! PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE, GO TO A GOOD CLEAN SHOP ONLY, MAKE SURE YOU WATCH HIM/HER OPEN THE NEEDLE, OR AUTOCLAV IT BEFORE YOU GET ANYTHING DONE!
you dont want to end up with HEP or something.

other then that, you are on your own..
take care, if you have any questions, just ask.. im here for you :)
DLC :D

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by DeeBlackthorne@Jun 22 2005, 07:48 PM
and they hurt a little bit, but not nearly as bad as you might think. 

Guess that really depends on what area you are getting inked.

Point being:  You better absolutely, positively adore what you're going to put on your body, because if you even have a shred of doubt about the art, you're going to hate it and kick yourself in the ass down the road.

Make sure you are absolutely, positively, 1000% sure you relate somehow, to the art or symbol. It's permanent...well, it can be removed, but the pain and cost of removal is about 10,000 times more extreme. Get referrals and pay for the best artist you can locate.

tillyrox

Experimental Member
Media
I Have a small tatoo on my ankle of a small angel. It hurts like hell when you get it done but after that its cool, i like em it is a turn on when a guy has a one or two but i dont like it when a guy has heaps of em, or men who are covered in em they are gross.

hippyscum

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Jun 23 2005, 01:07 AM
They hurt.
They are expensive.
Some people love 'em.
Some assholes hate them.
And I love every, single, solitary inch of my inked self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So hippy, whatcha' thinking about getting put on?
[post=323293]Quoted post[/post]​

i'm thinkin of getting the four led zep symbols running in a line down my forearm :p *awaits chants of "you sad git!"* each symbol about the size of a british penny piece, so they'll be discreet.
i could take the pain (malnourished child here, i'm used to having needles inserted into my arms) it's the cost thats a factor, but if their small it shouldn't cost that much... right? lol

cheers folks

BruceSter

Experimental Member
Media
My lady friend has one, very decent, from the time before I stepped into her life. She hides it mostly, though, for she's professionally in circles where tattoos aren't exactly accepted, and for it's in a place where only VERY close guys can have a peek. It's a small black rose, maybe an inch and some, on the upper third of her left thigh, on the curve to her thigh inside. Very decent - and very beautiful.

I personally don't want to get one - don't have the urge to do so.

Bruce

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by BruceSter@Jun 23 2005, 04:39 PM

Bruce
[post=323457]Quoted post[/post]​
Sort of foolish to try enhancing the ideal, right, Bruce?

Luke

amethyst

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by BruceSter@Jun 23 2005, 09:39 AM
My lady friend has one, very decent, from the time before I stepped into her life. She hides it mostly, though, for she's professionally in circles where tattoos aren't exactly accepted, and for it's in a place where only VERY close guys can have a peek. It's a small black rose, maybe an inch and some, on the upper third of her left thigh, on the curve to her thigh inside. Very decent - and very beautiful.

Bruce

That's what I did; a very discreet and classy tatto. I wanted to do it at a transition in my life but work in professional circles. I put a purple/black butterfly on my left cheek....it is very beautiful and only seen by the people I want to see it! Except when I'm 90 years old and being given a bath in my old-person's home. I'll just have to make sure my bath boy looks like Antonio Banderas :). Of course, by then the tatoo will probably be the size of a brazilian moth! :D

Parts of the tatoo tickled, parts I hardly felt, and parts were so painful I was doing the breathing exercises I used when I gave birth to get through it.

Enjoy!

Amethyst

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
1.) Ask to see the tattoo artist's portfolio. Any tattoo artist worth their weight will have an album full of pictures, and possibly some of their own sketches to give you a good idea of their style and skill level.
2.) Ask them how long they've been tattooing. If it's only been a few months, ask how many they've done. Make sure it sounds like they know what they're doing, ESPECIALLY if you want something unusual or that may need to be customized (i.e. cannot simply be traced and reproduced).
3.) Spend a lot of time discussing how you want the tattoo to look, and where you want it. If they show you some preliminary sketches that don't look quite like what you had in mind, DON'T let them do it! Go somewhere else, have someone else do it.

I've had two tattoos... One I love and plan to have more work done on, and one I really regret. The latter was done by a cocky, pushy guy who didn't have as much experience as he should have had, and it's nothing close to what I originally wanted. He also dug into my skin super deep, and I have a lot of scar tissue built up under the ink as a result. The other tattoo, however, was done by a guy who loved the craft and had been doing it for a while. It's beautiful, and there's virtually no scar tissue under it. He knew I wanted to have it added onto after a while, and he was wise enough to allow for that. Since you are thinking of getting four of them (not sure if they'll be connected in any way?) you will probably also want to explain your future plans for your tattoos with the artist you choose.
Hope I've been helpful. Please ask me if you have any other questions... I'm something of an ink buff, and I studied briefly at being an artist myself, so I know a thing or two about the biz.

BruceSter

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by amethyst@Jun 23 2005, 12:35 PM
[...]
That's what I did; a very discreet and classy tatto. I wanted to do it at a transition in my life but work in professional circles. I put a purple/black butterfly on my left cheek....it is very beautiful and only seen by the people I want to see it! Except when I'm 90 years old and being given a bath in my old-person's home. I'll just have to make sure my bath boy looks like Antonio Banderas :). Of course, by then the tatoo will probably be the size of a brazilian moth! :D

Parts of the tatoo tickled, parts I hardly felt, and parts were so painful I was doing the breathing exercises I used when I gave birth to get through it.

Enjoy!

Amethyst
[post=323511]Quoted post[/post]​

Hi Amethyst,

that surely sounds classy and beautiful. How big is the butterfly now? If it's on your butt, it surely will only be visible to those who you want it to see.

Just consider - by the time you're 90, Antonio Banderas will be like, umm... 110? I don't know your age and his exactly, but I think he'll need a bath girl then. Maybe you can both go into the same bath then.

Bruce

amethyst

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by BruceSter+Jun 24 2005, 09:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BruceSter &#064; Jun 24 2005, 09:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-amethyst@Jun 23 2005, 12:35 PM
[...]
That&#39;s what I did; a very discreet and classy tatto.  I wanted to do it at a transition in my life but work in professional circles.  I put a purple/black butterfly on my left cheek....it is very beautiful and only seen by the people I want to see it&#33;  Except when I&#39;m 90 years old and being given a bath in my old-person&#39;s home.  I&#39;ll just have to make sure my bath boy looks like Antonio Banderas :).  Of course, by then the tatoo will probably be the size of a brazilian moth&#33;  :D

Enjoy&#33;

Amethyst
[post=323511]Quoted post[/post]​

Hi Amethyst,

that surely sounds classy and beautiful. How big is the butterfly now? If it&#39;s on your butt, it surely will only be visible to those who you want it to see.

Just consider - by the time you&#39;re 90, Antonio Banderas will be like, umm... 110? I don&#39;t know your age and his exactly, but I think he&#39;ll need a bath girl then. Maybe you can both go into the same bath then.

Bruce
[post=323763]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Hi Bruce,

Thanks... the butterfly&#39;s wingspan is a little over 1.5 inches and the height is a little over an inch (I am very trim). It is a beautiful purple, outlined and detailed in black. There is a grey shadow on one side giving it an almost 3D effect if viewed from the right angle. I love it&#33;

I have a picture that shows it off nicely, a side shot of me bending over... it is framed so that all you see is me from my rib cage/waist to mid-thigh, bent over 90 degrees, with the tatoo visible on my left cheek. Her name is freedom...

If I can get a .jpg copy from my photographer I have been thinking about putting it up as my profile pic.

Let&#39;s see, I&#39;m 33 so Antonio will be 101 when I am 90....I guess I&#39;ll have to give HIM baths&#33; You can give me my baths :). Preferrably now :D .

Amethyst

KidBrown

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Cool thread, I like hearing about how others have reacted to being tattooed. I have three myself, the first two really hurt actually, but that&#39;s because they&#39;re pretty big. The one on my upper arm wasn&#39;t so bad though.

I have the "drama" faces on my right upper arm (two masks, one laughing and one crying) and a family piece (my uncle and father have the same one) of an eagle with the earth in one talon and a knife in the other reading "live free or die" underneath. That one is on my upper back, hurt like hell because of the detail and size. I had to get it done over the course of four visits. Across my chest I have the words "They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" from a bible passage. I was ok with that one until they hit my breastbone, and I screamed like a banshee, haha.

What the other posters here have said about research is true. The worst thing you can do is go to an artist that either a)isn&#39;t experienced enough to do the job or b)go to an artist who can&#39;t "envision" what you want the piece to look like. My advice is that money should be no object. I&#39;ve spent &#036;1500 on my work, and they look good in my opinion. Color costs more, and depending on what you have done, getting an outline in "white" ink can make the color seemingly pop out.

BruceSter

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by amethyst@Jun 25 2005, 01:12 PM
Hi Bruce,

Thanks... the butterfly&#39;s wingspan is a little over 1.5 inches and the height is a little over an inch (I am very trim). It is a beautiful purple, outlined and detailed in black. There is a grey shadow on one side giving it an almost 3D effect if viewed from the right angle. I love it&#33;

I have a picture that shows it off nicely, a side shot of me bending over... it is framed so that all you see is me from my rib cage/waist to mid-thigh, bent over 90 degrees, with the tatoo visible on my left cheek. Her name is freedom...

If I can get a .jpg copy from my photographer I have been thinking about putting it up as my profile pic.

Let&#39;s see, I&#39;m 33 so Antonio will be 101 when I am 90....I guess I&#39;ll have to give HIM baths&#33; You can give me my baths :). Preferrably now :D .

Amethyst
[post=324022]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, that&#39;s negotiable, Amethyst... I&#39;ll give you baths as long as your butt won&#39;t expand to more than the size of, uh, monster pumpkins. And I&#39;d really like to see a shot of that tattoo, sounds like something beautiful on you. That size is about as big as a tattoo should be to be described as decent, and sexy. You named that butterfly?

A former g/f of mine (high school sweetheart) wore A LOT OF tattoos, permanent ones. They were all over her, ankle, butt, back, arms, her breasts and her crotch -she was a wild girl, and it went well together with her persona. Those were also big tattoos, I remember she had a scene of a unicorn prancing in the woods on her shoulder blades, it was about 9" wide and 7" high, and a roaring lion about 5" by 5" on the small of her back. By the way, she also had a big butterfly on her butt, it was a 3" by 3" one.

Bruce

BruceSter

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by RoysToy+Jun 23 2005, 11:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RoysToy &#064; Jun 23 2005, 11:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BruceSter@Jun 23 2005, 04:39 PM
I personally don&#39;t want to get one - don&#39;t have the urge to do so.

Bruce
Sort of foolish to try enhancing the ideal, right, Bruce?

Luke
[post=323495]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Though, I wonder why you haven&#39;t asked me where the fuck mine was - as you call me Mikesonian, you should know that James "Jamie" Denton (actor playing Mike Delfino) has two - one of his late father&#39;s initials, birth and death dates, and rank and serial number in the Navy on his left bicep. Now, I&#39;m not in the Navy, but I could get one of my mothers DoB/DoD, but that&#39;s not my style.

Bruce