Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So I am getting my first tattoo in April on my Shoulder and I was wondering for those of you who have had tattoos.... where did you start. I kind of know what I want to get ...yet I can't seem to find an image or picture I am crazy about. How was your first tattoo as well? Did it hurt or is it not as bad as they make it seem? Also, did most of you do some research on good tattoo places to get it?

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
So I am getting my first tattoo in April on my Shoulder and I was wondering for those of you who have had tattoos.... where did you start.
Look at a lot of tatoos. I knew I wanted my own design, so I drew one up after a lot of research. A good tatoo artist can do the same for you.

How was your first tattoo as well? Did it hurt or is it not as bad as they make it seem?
Both; it hurts, but it's not terrible. Location is big; over-bone and stomache tatoos *kill*, "padded" areas (shoulder, ass) less so.

Also, did most of you do some research on good tattoo places to get it?
No, but you should. Sanitation is an obvious one, but the artist will matter if you get an elaborate design...and it is DEF. worth the extra coin to get a really good artist. Jade Dragon in Chicago is the best one I've been to

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My tattoo artist autoclaved all her needles and equipment, used gloves.
She used a jewelers lupe to choose the sharpest needles.
She did 3 to 4 inches without ink to see if I could cope with the pain.
I got a smallish butterfly on my lower back.
The pain was tolerable.

jackieq

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Tattoos hurt--make no mistake. I have several from a shop in Redondo Beach--Liberty Tattoo. The most painful were on my back. I have Chinese zodiacal signs from my shoulder blades down to my ass crack. That hurt, because of the nerves. I have a Hawaii-style sea turtle on my pelvis. That was not so bad because of the fleshy protection on the pelvis. In fact, while the artist was at work, I auto-ejaculated from the vibration. Just remember, once carved, it will be with you. As I understand it, the removal is more painful than the original inking.

open501s

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Got started on my first tattoo last Tuesday 27Nov2007.

Doing a custom work that will take 4 to 6 sessions to complete.

It feels like someone is taking a scapul and carving out a hunk of skin.

I go back in this Tuesday 04Dec2007 and hope to get the back finished and the out line on the arms finished.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think you need to rethink this for a bit. Once 14 year old have tats...the trend may have peaked. If you get one, make sure you can cover it for future jobs. You don't know what you may work in one day and it can effect how you are percieved. Saw a lady in vegas with a huge geko type thing on her throat and cheek...she did not look desirable...

shyguy987

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I have a tattoo, yes it did hurt, but not as bad as I thought. I have mine on my arm. I did hear it hurts alot more if you have one on a boney area, like a hand or foot, or an area with little fat covering the area. Before I got mine I thought about it for years. I wanted to make sure it was something that I wanted and didn't regrete years later. I finally did it about 6 years ago and don't regrete it now. Science then I have wanted to get another one, and have been thinking about what I want. I have been thinking about the same things, what will I not regrete getting years from now. Until I'm sure I will wait, but when I know what I want for sure I will get another one.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Have your artist draw the picture for you. If you don't like what they drew, tell them what you want to be different and have them redraw it. This is going to be on you forever, so make sure it's EXACTLY what you want. It probably shouldn't hurt too bad because of the location, though.

stevex2

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have 2 tats. The first one hurt like HELL and scabbed and itched for about 10 days even though I followed the instructions to a tee. The equipment was 100% sterile and I checked out the place fully before going in.

The 2nd one was a breeze. The artist was amazing and I was in and out in 35 minutes. No pain, scabbing and no itching when healing. I love my 2, but no more.

Remember, tattoos are forever (pretty much). make sure the design has meaning to you. It will bwe with you for a long time..... :)