Teacher pulls chair out from non standing student.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Mar 7 2005, 06:19 PM
now days they aren't adults until they're 18 and out of high school.
[post=289095]Quoted post[/post]​
Primarily because of widespread education.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by jonb+Mar 8 2005, 04:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonb &#064; Mar 8 2005, 04:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TexAssgirl@Mar 7 2005, 06:19 PM
now days they aren&#39;t adults until they&#39;re 18 and out of high school.
[post=289095]Quoted post[/post]​
Primarily because of widespread education.
[post=289133]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Which all makes it especially nauseating when an educator abuses their authority to enforce their personal opinions as law. School age children have very little recourse under the law, so this kind of abuse to the helpless is not unlike molestation.

No one should be forced to reiterate sentences they don&#39;t feel right about, free speech is not forced&#33;

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
agreed, but in Jay&#39;s case (the boy forced to stand) it wasn&#39;t that he didn&#39;t want to recite the Anthem, it was just that he didn&#39;t want to stand.

Jay said that he didn&#39;t have any political reasons for his refusal to stand but that he wanted to sit because he feels it is his right to do so and that right was being threatened by Mantel.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 7 2005, 06:42 PM
No, Orca, sadly those under 18 don&#39;t have much protection for their rights under the law here. We&#39;ve got a long way to go before we can call ourselves a civilised nation.
[post=289050]Quoted post[/post]​

Below is a childavocate web site that is the best. I have only copied the part about restrooms. But this site covers all rights of children. It is the best web site. Please let others know about it. We need to protect our children.

Freddie
A retired teacher who respected his students and saw the horrid abuse some students got from teachers.

What I have found out is unbelievable. There is a federal law under OSHA that gives adult the right to the restroom while at work. At least every two hours there must be a break and if there is a real need at any time an adult must be allowed access to the restroom. Employers can be sued and the employer fined heavily for failure to follow this law.

A child was denied at school, a high school senior with a stomach virus. The courts ruled that the law did not protect children. It is legal for schools to deny a child a visit to the restroom all day long if they wish. In this case, even though the student was sick, it is OK to make a senior mess in his pants even at age 18 because the law only covers workers and not students. And for punishment some schools do put students in in school suspension and one of the requirements is loss of any visits to the restroom. As a teacher I am appalled. I think it is horrible. I never denied my students a visit. When there is a trail asking to go during class it is because there is not enough time between classses or as in the case of elemetary self-contained rooms, there is a need fo a break for all the students. There are some cases where the teacher has made the restroom a discipline problem and the kids are asking to "get the teacher in an uproar." In those cases it is the teacher&#39;s fault for turning the restroom into a class problem.

It never is in a good teacher&#39;s classroom.

I know of a fifth and sixth grade "middle school" where if a teacher allows a student to leave for any reason, they are "written up". The Principal and all the teachers tell the kids to go during breaks and don&#39;t ask, just use the restroom in their pants if they can&#39;t hold it. I know of a case where the teacher told the sixth grade girl that she was sorry and knew that the girl really had to go and couldnt hold it, but she would just have to use the restroom in her pants.

This is a school-wide police for several hundred fifth and sixth graders. Rediculous.

This a a web site that tells of this national disgrace:

childadvocate.org

At this site, you will find that there are schools where the student restrooms are locked all day except at lunch time for 20 minutes.

You will find that a school punished some high school boys by putting them in in-school suspension asking that the parents diaper the boys in case of an emergency because part of the punishment was no visits to the restroom all day long. In case of soiled diapers the boys were to be changed by the school nurse.

I won&#39;t name other examples across the land. They are listed at the site.

I think it is a disgrace. Disrespect for children decreases learning. It does not increase it. Studnts will work harder for a teacher they love and respect.

I could write a book, but I will close for now.

Below are excerpcts from that web site:

"I got your email address off the the ChildAdvocate.org website. Can you help me or instruct me where to go from here? We have already gone to the County Superintendent and he has agreed to uphold the school&#39;s decision of one day of In School Suspension. Below are the basic facts: My 14 year old Freshman daughter has just been given one day of In-school suspension at Weddington High School (NC). She repeatedly asked a first year male teacher, "please, please, let me now go to the bathroom". The teacher requested that she wait 10 minutes, she did, and then ask again. She was again told "no". She knew that she had started her period. She finally became so panicked that she told the teacher she had started her period and her parents would sue if she was not allowed to leave. She then left the room knowing she was about to have blood all over her bare legs. They have suspended her for being disrespectful. This is a straight "A" student for the most part with an occasional "B" on her report card. She has never received an "N" in conduct and never had any type of behavior issues. Thanks for any help you can give me."

Second example:

"I followed the chain of command in regards to bathroom rights. The teachers did not let my seven year old go to the bathroom. My son has a UPJ (Ureteropelvic junction obstruction) obstruction kidney disorder. My son had to have surgery. I CRY EVERY DAY FOR FEAR OF MY SONS KIDNEY. I am so scared to send him back to school."

REPRINT FOR CHILDADVOCATE.ORG

There is just the top of the iceburg in what all is written about the rights of children. Ms. Couture writes about all the ways children are abused, not just restroom, in school.

Parents if your child has any problems the is a federal law called 504. You can use that against your school. Schools try to keep parents from knowing about that law.

The Medical Risks Of Forced Retention of Urine
© 2003 - 2004 by Laurie A. Couture, M.Ed, LMHC

"Traditional school schedules... reflect our culture’s denial of the needs of the human body. An examination of these schedules is likely to uncover rigid toileting schedules in lower grades and only short breaks allotted between classes in upper grades."

-Cheryle B. Gartley
President, Simon Foundation for Continence

"The denial of bodily functions is so deeply ingrained in our culture that it is actually possible for people to be cruelly unsympathetic about the need to use a toilet, even though them have probably been in similar situations themselves." "

-Rebecca Chalker and Kristene E. Whitmore, M.D.
Authors, Overcoming Bladder Disorders

The rigid toilet use policies common in most schools run contrary to medical information on healthy elimination habits- and actually place young people at risk for urinary and bowel problems. This article discusses issues in children’s urinary health.

Medical advice for prevention of urinary health problems:

"Based on our current knowledge about bladder infections, there is a substantial array of common-sense preventative measures... Drink a generous amount of fluid, especially water. Dehydration prevents the regular washout of bacteria and may make you more susceptible to bladder infections. Urinate frequently and completely. Do not keep urine in your bladder beyond the point where it feels uncomfortable. When urinating, take time to relax completely so that the bladder has time to empty completely" (Chalker and Whitmore, M.D.).

"Have your child void more frequently... use the toilet every two hours..." (Suzanne Berman, M.D., 2002, Plateau Pediatrics; Keep Kids Healthy.com, 1999-2003).

"It is important that... children (who infrequently void) go to the bathroom frequently. Trying to ‘hold on’ can damage the bladder and kidneys and teach the child improper voiding." (Christopher S. Cooper, M.D., 2000, Pediatric Urologist).

"Ensure your child voids frequently... Nature’s own cleansing mechanism works well if it works often. Every two hours is suggested... The child should be encouraged to drink at least eight glasses of fluid per day..." (Children’s Hospital Medical Center of Akron, 2002).

"...Encourage your child not to delay urination..." (The Detroit Medical Center Department of Urology, 2003).

"Don’t postpone -- urinate when you feel the urge. Don’t rush -- take the time when you urinate to empty your bladder completely. Respond to your body’s signals of thirst by drinking enough water... every day" (American Foundation for Urologic Disease, 2003).

"Don’t ‘hold’ your urine: Urinate as soon as you feel the urge." (WebMD Health, 2002).

"Urinate when you feel the need; don’t resist the urge to urinate" (National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse, 2002).

"Voiding less than four times a day or having more than four hours between voids... is abnormal (Children and adolescents)." (Wan and Greenfield, 1997, Pediatric Bulletin).

"Children should be helped to understand that appropriate urination is a matter of relaxing the sphincters and permitting the bladder muscle to expel the urine, not a matter of forced voiding using the abdominal muscles... Infrequent voiders... should be encouraged to empty their urinary bladders every 2-3 hours." (Hellerstein and Glasscock, 2002, eMedicine Journal).

"Of all the preventative recommendations (for kidney stones), drinking enough fluid to produce at least two and a half quarts of urine each day is the most important... If fluid intake is sufficient, the urine should be pale and almost watery, not dark and yellow" (WebMD Health, 2002).

"Its very possible the child is not going to the bathroom often enough during the day. Parents should try to find out about their child’s bathroom habits during the school day" (William Strand, M.D., Parenthood.com).

Health risks associated with infrequent, delayed or rushed urination:

Overflow urinary incontinence
Urinary tract infection
Overextension of the bladder muscle
Weakening of the brain-bladder signals
Incomplete voiding (frequency)
Bladder contracting against closed sphincter (uncoordinated voiding)
Urinary reflux
Renal (kidney) failure

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I just made an reply to Madame Zora&#39;s reply. Then I went back and read the opening. I haven&#39;t read all the remarks. There are procedures for this type of situation.

People have a right to stand or not stand and they have a right to pledge or not pledge the flag.

They don&#39;t have a right to prevent others from doing so.

This is what should be the rule in school.

If you don&#39;t believe in standing and pledging the flag, you may remain seated and show no distraction to those who are pledging the flag. If you ask permission ahead of time, you may go an stand outside the door while the pledge is being done. You must make that request and do it before the pledge begins. You must be silent inn the hallway just like you are required to do while classes are in session. ( In the case of where no classes are going on, there is no need for the silence, such as a pep rally. The silence has to do with the rule of no talking in the hallway during class times and has nothing to do with the pledge.

Nothing negative should be said to the students. The school should teach why the falg is important in elementary school and even in high school. That would be expected in a public school supported by tax dollars. However, those lessons should not be done at the same time that an actual pledge is being done. The two events should be completely separated. Discussion of why the students chose to not pledge the flag should be up to the teacher and the students. If the students would rather not discuss their reasons in class, then the discussion should be dropped. If the teacher doesn&#39;t want to take class time for discussion then it should be dropped. A math teacher shouldn&#39;t have to be a day behind in teaching the curriculum because he HAD to spend a day disucssing the flag.

The less said the better is often the best policy concerning these matters. No one has to justify their reasons in cases concerning the reciting the pledge and things like that.

As far as that teacher is concerned. He needs a lot of remedial learning on how to teach and how to treat students. If he can&#39;t or won&#39;t learn, he needs to be fired.

Teaching is one of the few professions that aren&#39;t allowed to set standards for themselves or police themselves. I suspect that teachers would be harder on this guy then anyone else. It is a blot on our reputation to allow such as this to continue.

That teacher should have been suspended without pay for two weeks and required to go through a remedial inservice course. Then all classes taught be him the rest of that year and the next year should be on tape and reviewed by the administratin or a group of teachers every day and his progresss monitored and suggestions for improving his performance as a teacher given.

What we have here is just an example. What is goning on every day in all classes could be even worse. He needs to completely revamp his whole methodoogy of education. If he can&#39;t do it or refuses to do it, again termination of his job is the only solution.

Everyone should show respect for others at school. That includes teachers as well and definitely should include the administration.

Originally posted by yaoifun@Mar 6 2005, 02:14 PM
I only stand but I don&#39;t pledge. I don&#39;t know why, it just seems pointless, and almost like worshipping an idol. I can respect the country I live in, but as of right now I don&#39;t like the direction this country is headed, so that makes me have even more inhibitions about pledging to something I don&#39;t even agree with.
[post=288750]Quoted post[/post]​

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Mar 8 2005, 05:05 AM
No one should be forced to reiterate sentences they don&#39;t feel right about, free speech is not forced&#33;
[post=289203]Quoted post[/post]​
True, though it can be bought. Just ask Walter Williams or Jeff Gannon.