Teaching Abroad

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV, Jan 25, 2009.

1. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

I've always had an interest specifically in the Korean culture and language, I'm in the process of teaching the language to myself. I hear from a lot of Korean friends that a lot of Americans visit the country and teach English there and make a very good living for themselves. This always interested me as a career possibility, and since I just recently decided to go back to school and finish getting a degree I'm wondering what type of degree I'd need to do what it is I'd like.

My college offers a Masters degree in "Bilingual and Multilingual Education" though I was considering getting something a little more...general rather than focus on language education. I've always had an interest in math and science as well and would like to be able to teach those as well if I wanted to teach in the USA. Does anyone have any experience teaching aboard, if so what kind of degree do you have?

2. JustAsking

Gold Member

I know two people who went to Japan and taught English to Japanese students. I know one of them started out his college career as a concert pianist, but got more and more fascinated with Asian Studies. So he got a degree in something like Asian Studies. By the time he went to Japan to teach, he was reasonably fluent in Japanese and had done at least one stint in Japan as an intern.

He really enjoyed what he was doing. He ended up meeting a Japanese girl who was raised in the US by recent Japanese immigrants. She was in Japan doing the same thing he was in the same location. They ended up getting married. They are both now back in the USA and he is pursuing a degree in International Law, presumably with some kind of Asian specialty.

I would think that teaching ESL in any asian country would be rewarding, and the full cultural immersion would leave you in a position to capitalize on your experience in many different ways, like my friend did. One thing we can bank on is that we are in an ever increasing global economy and anyone who understands asian languages and culture will find themselves very marketable in the future.

행운을 빕니다

3. AG08

Gold Member

Skip Korea and go to Japan. You will be treated better. I taught in Seoul, South Korea and it was the worst experience of my life. I turned down an opportunity to teach in Japan over Korea, and it was a huge mistake. Seoul is filthy, xenophobic, and insanely expensive. Business and money is everything, so you can't get a solid answer out of anyone. When they tell you one thing, they will later do the opposite if it benefits them financially (99% of the time). I learned quickly that people's word means shit there. I have been told by many people that is part of business culture in Korea, and I sure experienced it first hand. I bailed out early because I had had it with the constant lies, poor treatment and living conditions, xenophobic hostility from the locals, and not getting paid what I was promised (or paid at all). I know A LOT of teachers that have had awful experiences there. If you want to read about them, visit:

www.eslcafe.com

There are a million horror stories about teaching in Korea on this website (so many that they had to devote an entire page to Korean horror stories only).

4. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dont want to possibly put you off OrbitzXT
    but
    Yep it does seem JAPAN is the place to go
    a Nephew is currently teaching over there..been there 5/6 years now..married and 2 kids
    -obviously they could not be happier-
    He had NO Qualifications at all as far as teaching goes (more of a Videography degree type thing is what he had) but he had no trouble getting thru it all..as in he never knew ANY Japanese at all. initially .
    On the other hand a Niece gave it a try..but did not last..she was more educated..but it was just not her thing.

Think..you may be best to get in touch with organizations that are looking for teachers..over in the country of your choice
    From what i understand DONT sign up for any lengthy period..the shorter the better..as opportunitys will arise once yr there apparently.. and jobs may come about where you will be far better off.
    GOOD LUCK OrbitzXT
    enz

Draft saved Draft deleted