Teaching English Overseas

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Have any of you native English speakers gone overseas to teach English?

I taught English in Asia for nearly a decade before deciding to come back home to the US. I loved the experience of living abroad, but hated the job.

Anyone else do the English teacher hustle and want to share their stories?

Avoid South Korea like the plague. Hands down the most revolting and dirty country I have ever been to, and the people are extremely xenophobic. Don't even get me started on their sickening practice of farming dogs to later torture and eat them. As a dog lover, this was absolutely abhorrent to me. I bailed out pretty quickly.

The school I worked for was awful. They treated the teachers like slaves, and there was nothing you could do about it. Korean workers have few rights, so a foreign worker you have even less rights. My school tried to take my passport to prevent me from leaving, but I wouldn't surrender it. My embassy helped me sneak out of the country to avoid me from being fined for breaking my contract. I actually enjoyed the teaching work. Everything else about Korea though sucked shit. Nothing could ever get me to go back. I boycott everything from that country. On the bright side, I lost 20 pounds in a month because the food was absolutely revolting. I would wait until my stomach was in knots before I would eat, and then I would only eat enough to make the pain go away. The smell of kimchi still makes me want to wretch to this day. They put it in almost everything! I love many kinds of ethic food such as Thai, Indian, Mexican, etc, so it's not like I have a bland diet. I just can't stomach Korean food, and no I didn't eat dog while there even though I had the opportunity to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Avoid South Korea like the plague. Hands down the most revolting and dirty country I have ever been to, and the people are extremely xenophobic. Don't even get me started on their sickening practice of farming dogs to later torture and eat them. As a dog lover, this was absolutely abhorrent to me. I bailed out pretty quickly.

The school I worked for was awful. They treated the teachers like slaves, and there was nothing you could do about it. Korean workers have few rights, so a foreign worker you have even less rights. My school tried to take my passport to prevent me from leaving, but I wouldn't surrender it. My embassy helped me sneak out of the country to avoid me from being fined for breaking my contract. I actually enjoyed the teaching work. Everything else about Korea though sucked shit. Nothing could ever get me to go back. I boycott everything from that country. On the bright side, I lost 20 pounds in a month because the food was absolutely revolting. I would wait until my stomach was in knots before I would eat, and then I would only eat enough to make the pain go away. The smell of kimchi still makes me want to wretch to this day. They put it in almost everything! I love many kinds of ethic food such as Thai, Indian, Mexican, etc, so it's not like I have a bland diet. I just can't stomach Korean food, and no I didn't eat dog while there even though I had the opportunity to do so.

Wow, sorry that you had such a horrible experience. Have you tried teaching in any other countries?

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't believe only one other person has done the English teaching on these boards.

It's something I would do if I were a time traveler or something.

But when I was the age where teaching abroad would be "appropriate", it was probably the last thing on my mind.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
It's something I would do if I were a time traveler or something.

But when I was the age where teaching abroad would be "appropriate", it was probably the last thing on my mind.

It is definitely something you can only do early in life and for a short period of time.

Some of the saddest and most bitter people I've ever met were those guys, they were almost all men, who had stuck at those low level teaching jobs.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is definitely something you can only do early in life and for a short period of time.

Some of the saddest and most bitter people I've ever met were those guys, they were almost all men, who had stuck at those low level teaching jobs.

Exactly. I think if I had done it as a young man it would've been an amazing experience. I wish when I was that age it had been something that was on my radar, but it just wasn't something that really came up. I hadn't given it any thought at the time and no one had asked me.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
It's fairly good in Germany. I enjoy it. I'm not so keen on how damn expensive the health insurance is as a freelancer.

I've never taught in Europe. What is it like to teach there? In Asia it is basically a paid vacation for recent college grads. I assume it is a real job in Europe.

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've never taught in Europe. What is it like to teach there? In Asia it is basically a paid vacation for recent college grads. I assume it is a real job in Europe.

It's a real job yep. Most people are freelancers, but a few have full time work. The others I know are a variety of ages, though generally we skew towards the younger side.

I enjoy it a lot and the students are generally very enthusiastic. Germans see English as being very important to succeeding in the workplace, so they're generally motivated.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
It's a real job yep. Most people are freelancers, but a few have full time work. The others I know are a variety of ages, though generally we skew towards the younger side.

I enjoy it a lot and the students are generally very enthusiastic. Germans see English as being very important to succeeding in the workplace, so they're generally motivated.

That's good. In Japan the English teaching industry is one big scam, IMO.

I worked in all levels of it, from eikaiwa with children to adult aged students to the assistant language teacher position at junior and senior high school. The Eikaiwa is usually just a babysitting service with little actual teaching going on. Even with adults it is all about just sitting in front of a foreign person for an hour. The instruction in schools is based around the translation method, so student's speaking skills are very low and everything is built around passing the test not gaining actual fluency. So much money is spent on English instruction with no real benefit. It is weird.