Ted Stevens is goin' to jail.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
My mother used to date him back in the day. How creepy is that?
He used to fly in to DC (he had a private plane even then, Daddy's money)when she'd moved there after she graduated Wellesley to take her to dinner. As she said, "In those days, we didn't have to "do" anything, and if a man wanted to take me to dinner, why not?"

Striking family resemblance, Nick.:wink:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For many of us who haven't followed Alaskan politics until the recent VP candidacy of Sarah Palin (now dressing in Wal-Mart chic after discovering hockey moms don't wear Dolce & Gabbana) the name Mark Begich still may ring a bell. His older brother, Dr. Nick Begich is a frequent guest on radio shows like Coast To Coast AM where he speaks about the paranormal, mind control, HAARP and UFO's. More relevant to politics, Anchorage mayor Mark Begich is the son of the late Alaskan congressman Nick Begich Sr. who disappeared along with another congressman (Hale Boggs) on October 16, 1972 in a Cessna 310C (N1812C) between Anchorage and Juneau. Despite one of the largest searches ever conducted to that date, no trace of the aircraft was ever found.

Meanwhile: McCain Calls For Stevens to Resign The Weekly Standard

I have a cartoon in my brain of those two old codgers duking it out in a boxing ring. Stevens is an ornery old coot with an aggressive personality and John McCain has a famous temper. The fun part is both are tiny little guys well past the age where they could physically inflict damage upon a cream filled croissant. :swordfight:

I didn't know Mark's brother Nick was nationally known, or that he had a doctorate. He ran for the school board and for the legislature, several years back with the AIP. He lives in Eagle River also. Erudite with a bit of flakiness.

Mark's oldest brother Tom is a good friend, and an extremely decent person. He is a musician and writer.
Tom Begich, Singer/Songwriter

Mark's gay youngest brother Paul was the first one I knew, he is the same age as three gay foster kids of a very close friend of mine, they used to hang out in the 80's. He lives in the Seattle area, and has adopted a Chinese girl.

Mark's mother Pegge was Democratic National Committee person in the early 80's, and the candidate for congress in 84 and 86. I volunteered full time on her second campaign, Mark was the campaign manager.

Mark's campaign website:
www.markbegich.com

Last edited:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Funny thing is that Sara Palin was one of Frank Murkowski's choices to replace him as Senator also.

Don't know if she was on the short list. Murkey gave out 20 names, some of them pretty unlikely, such as Archbishop Francis Hurley, and General Mark Hamilton. He probably intended to appoint Lisa from the beginning, and just gave out a long list to make people think he was considering a lot of people. It was just a screen.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In last night's televised debate, Ted Stevens reinvents history: (emphasis mine)

Stevens reiterated that position during a televised debate late Thursday night, declaring early in the give-and-take with Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich, "I have not been convicted of anything."

The senator said Gov. Sarah Palin and the other Republicans who have called on him to resign are only doing so for political gain, not because they are sincere. "I wouldn't hold it against them, I understand what they're doing, trying to get elected."

Elsewhere in the article, it clarifies that Stevens's position is that his conviction "doesn't count" until his appeal is heard. I'm not sure the voters will agree.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In last night's televised debate, Ted Stevens reinvents history: (emphasis mine)
I would have thought that Alaskans had access to very pure water, but I must have been wrong: there must be a delusion-inducing chemical in it. This sounds like Sarah Palin saying that the Branchflower Report, which concluded that she had violated state ethics statutes, had found her innocent of misconduct.

Added in editing: Actually, I think Stevens knows better, and is grasping at whatever positive spin is available to him, while Palin is just smug and incurious enough to believe what she said.

Last edited:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Elsewhere in the article, it clarifies that Stevens's position is that his conviction "doesn't count" until his appeal is heard. I'm not sure the voters will agree.

I was there, I sat behind someone tall behind Mark's left side to avoid being on TV. The studio is 360 and there wasn't an empty seat that looked like it did not have a camera pointed at it. There wasn't much time to get in and seated after Ethan and Don's session was over, before they went live again.

I don't know what part of guilty on all counts a person can not get. He certainly accepted a quarter million in improvements to his Girdwood house without reporting them.

Ted is certainly more hostile to Mark than I would have thought, their relationship before Mark ran for senate has been good. Mark is mostly a centrist and technocrat. Ted kind of lost it when he was asked what he admired about Mark. As soon as the live feed dissappeared from the monitors he scooted for the door without talking to anyone, he looked directly at me as he went by, so I had to say hello, he looked annoyed and kept on going. I was wearing a gay pride week T-shirt, I had come wearing a Begich T shirt, the producers wouldn't let anyone into the studio wearing a political shirt or button, so I had to go out to the car and change.

The national democratic congressional campaign fund has been playing a lot of anti Ted ads here, the national R's are not paying for any for either Ted or Don.

I think he realizes his career is over, is pretty resentful and blames others, Bill Allen and the Federal prosecutors.

Mark stayed around and shook hands and talked to people for quite a while after.

Mark has by an unscientific online poll now 90% of the gay vote here, (it went up by 2 points before it closed) Obama is at 87% and Ethan at 89%.

Last edited: