Telephone Etiquette?

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was speaking with someone earlier today about the correct way to call someone, especially when at work. They believed you should always ask "Is this clients name?" before starting your call however I hate when people call me asking who they are speaking with without knowing their intention.

I believe the correct way is: "Hello this is my name from business name, can I speak with clients name please?".

Similarly when I call someone on a personal level, especially someone who I don't know particularly well I usually do the same (minus the business name bit, obviously).

When I answer the phone at work it's usually the following : "Good Morning/Afternoon Business Name, Name speaking".

So, how do you handle your phone conversations? I'm trying to gauge if i've been doing it wrong -- I've always preferred e-mail...!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You have been doing it correctly. However one thing I would like to add is that whenever I telephone someone I always ask... "Did I reach you at a good time to talk?" It amazes me the number of seemingly intelligent people that do not afford me the same courtesy and feel put off when I tell them I must return their call at a more convenient time.
Aside from business, a personal telephone line is for my convenience not theirs.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I decided my old tactic of "...the fuck you want?" was not getting me very far.I play! Good idea about asking if it's a good time, I'll add that to my repertoire!

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When making calls I do them the same way and if at work I answer the same way as well. But if someone I don't know calls me on my personal phone...it's who are you and what do you want? Not really but I want to some times. :wink:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was speaking with someone earlier today about the correct way to call someone, especially when at work. They believed you should always ask "Is this clients name?" before starting your call however I hate when people call me asking who they are speaking with without knowing their intention.

I believe the correct way is: "Hello this is my name from business name, can I speak with clients name please?".

Similarly when I call someone on a personal level, especially someone who I don't know particularly well I usually do the same (minus the business name bit, obviously).

When I answer the phone at work it's usually the following : "Good Morning/Afternoon Business Name, Name speaking".

So, how do you handle your phone conversations? I'm trying to gauge if i've been doing it wrong -- I've always preferred e-mail...!

If it is a work I don't mind them asking me who it is. If I am at home and answer hell and they say "who this" I tell them they have the wrong number because it always is.

If I call a business I would say may I speak to so and so...if they ask who's calling I then tell them.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
I hate talking to people on the phone who ring me if i dont know who they are. I always get this feeling im in trouble or am going to be asked something i dont know about. Anything to make me feel bad.

I agree with your way Flames, much better. ;)

My phone etiquette is a bit shit - especially if someone rings me...I just tend to go "Heeello?"

Cougar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
You have been doing it correctly. However one thing I would like to add is that whenever I telephone someone I always ask... "Did I reach you at a good time to talk?".

I always open a phone conversation this way when calling for either business or personal reasons after I introduce myself.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree with your way Flames, much better. ;)

My phone etiquette is a bit shit - especially if someone rings me...I just tend to go "Heeello?"

I do the same thing, and I even have a nifty caller ID that registers the name and phone number of the person on my television screen and then I act surprised when the other party speaks.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I always say when I answer: "Hallo, met .... ........." (dots are for my name of course)
And If I call someone that I don't know I say: "Hallo, met .... ........., zou ik ... kunnen spreken alstublieft?"
But I think many don't have an idea what I'm saying here, so here is the translation: "Hello, with .... ........." and "Hello, with .... ........., can I speak ... please?"

Now what bothers me is that when I answer a phone when someone calls us, and I say my name. People tend to say my dads name and speak to me believing that it's my dad they are talking too... Now, can't they just listen at the beginning when I say my name...

That's me dude, I just pretend it's your Dad for a laff. ;)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's me dude, I just pretend it's your Dad for a laff. ;)

I think that's part of the trade off when you are living at home with your parents. I remember once when my brother and I were still at home some solicitor called and said " Is this Mr._________? and I said "There are three Mr._________'s that live in this household which one did you wish to speak with?" Now once and a while I screw with people who have blocked phone numbers and I affect a japanese house boy accent... "Mr._______ no home I just clean up here OK, no english... call back leave message please!"

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My very first job was as a telephonist for which I received BT training (state of the art stuff in those days) your way is correct Flamey - just right out asking someone 'Is this Mr Smith' puts them on the defensive, they could have people after them for debts etc., tell them who you are first (unless of course you are after money in which case go for 'Is this Mr Smith').

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That's pretty much how I handle calls too. The only exception is when I know someone doesn't want to speak to me, in which case, I'll just ask to speak to the person about a personal or private matter without giving my name if I can avoid it.

What bugs me is wrong numbers. I keep getting calls meant for a woman who lives on the other side of town from my office, but whose number is one digit off - usually from some call centre in Bangalore where they refuse to believe they could have the wrong number and call back repeatedly demanding to speak to her.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Telephone etiquette is probably the last bastion where good manners should be expected and observed. What annoys me is the call that asks if I am so and so without identifying themselves first. My response is to reply, "I'm afraid you have the advantage" without confirming my name. This usually throws the ill mannered.
Nationality and culture play a big part in civilized behaviour and a marker is their telephone manner. The French and many Asians are rude, unintentionally I am sure. I always answer with hello (never give your name or number as an opener) and end with, goodbye and thank you if that is deemed appropriate. The exception is cold calls from sales people, when I simply say I am not interested and hang up.