Tell me about Florida

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm thinking about UCF in Orlando as a possibility for grad school (clinical psychology), but even if I don't go there, I would like to settle in Florida regardless. I've been to the state only once, in the Tampa area, to visit family as a child. So why do I want to live there?

Well, as far back as I can remember, I had this vision of myself living on a few acres about 20-30 minutes outside of town with gardens and aviaries on my property (don't judge...we all have our own versions of happiness). Climate-wise, central to south Florida has what I want, but I don't know anything about the areas that I should investigate. Anyone with something to offer, please jump in.
:)

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's hot, humid, rains daily, has fire ants, costs a lot to live there and there's tons of snow birds and really old people.

But.... if given the chance to move there, I probably would but not Orlando... that's the armpit of Florida. Go somewhere close to the coast, buy a place on stilts and make one great big aviary!

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Prob not much to offer you, but I have a friend who has been living in the Gainesville area for a few years and he's been begging me to go visit. I went in September and immediately after thanksgiving, and I will continue to go back. Gainesville is probably the least of what you are looking for, or even that I would look for in terms of living there, but even that place was so much fun.

I left with the impression that people are much happier living in the Florida than anywhere else in the country. I think it has to do with the sun. Imagine all these people who are being fed by the heart of our solar system since the womb. Up north here people hibernate for half the year and it makes you miserable. Down there they bask in the rich lifeline of the sun for decades. It feeds the mind, the body, and the soul. THe girls are hot and like to have fun, and are much nicer than they are up north.

I go to UCF, nice area if you're into having fun and going to downtown to City Walk / International Drive / the city of Orlando. It's about a 15 ~ 20 minute drive depending on traffic from UCF to Universal Studios, and overall it's a pretty decent area.

If you have any specific questions, just message me

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I love Florida. The armpit is the panhandle. Orlando has terrible traffic due to everyone rushing to the theme parks, especially in the morning. There is a gay community there, but Tampa/ST. Pete and Fort Lauderdale are more gay friendly. It's colder in Orlando. Now it's 46. last might it went down to 39 according to Wunderground.com

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have always enjoyed visiting Florida in the winter when it's cold in NYC, The only places I've been are Key West, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando and Naples. If I had to pick a place to live it would be Naples or Ft. Lauderdale. Maybe it would be a good idea to go down and check out a few places first.

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well, I'm thinking of UCF as a possibility for grad school, so if I go there, I figure I'll go exploring from that point. I'm not one for city-living, but I like living somewhat near one. I'd love to live somewhere on a few acres where I can make what I want on my land. I'm mostly interested in the climate. I actually like hot and humid (as long as I have AC indoors for a retreat), and I'd love to garden and have outdoor planted walk-in aviaries in USDA hardiness zone 9 or 10. Florida for me is more about the climate and geography. I'm going to be doing some research before I check out areas, so keep the comments and suggestions coming. Thanks so much.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I lived there for seven years. The interior, the Keys and the coastal waters are wonderful, but the cities suck. Gainesville is the nicest and most fun even if it is not as warm as Lauderdale or Miami. Florida is too flat and boring for me. I need hills, mountains, valleys and curvey roads!

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I lived in Tampa/St. Pete for many years and have little desire to go back for any length of time.
There are some positives. I too like tropical gardening but Orland is too cold. You will lose your tropicals in the freezes. Even Tampa is too cold for things like Frangipani and bouganvillea is damaged and sometimes killed by the cold there. St. Pete, although only few miles a way is warmer and much more pleasant. Other positives are the access to the ocean but, I have to say, unless you can live really close to it the hassle of getting there tends to cut down one's use of it pretty quickly. Air conditioning and a pool are pretty much necessities for enjoying it during the warmer months.
Negatives include cockroaches the size of armadillos (only partly kidding), quite a bit of crime, much of Florida, especially when you get more than a few miles from the cosastline, is really south Georgia or south Alabama (backward, racist, wacko right wing), workers are mostly not unionized, a lot of people are working two jobs to stay afloat and actually quite grumpy.
Close friends live in St. Pete Beach and their situation is about as good as it gets there. They both work on the barrier island and thus don't have to go to mainland to get to work. They live on a "canal" and have a boat dock and boat and thus can be on the water in about one minute from the time they decide to do so, they are about four blocks from the beach, and they have a pool to hang out in outside. If you can manage all that, it's pretty idyllic until the hurricane comes. Don't hold your breath for domestic partnerships!!!
My take is that Florida can be pretty nice if you can bring a good bit of money with you and not have to work.
Dave

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I absolutely love the Tampa Bay area, but that's probably because Pasco County is ground zero for nudism in America. If I could, I'd have a home at the exclusive Caliente resort and hang my long penis out in the open all day and party in the evening. Caliente Tampa Clothing Optional Resort in Tampa Bay Florida And unlike my home state of California there is no state income tax!

On a more serious side my observation is that Florida consists of distinct subsets. Foremost there is the tremendous retirement demographic leading to Florida's nickname as Heaven's waiting room. Then there are the part-time residents who live perhaps six months out of the year out-of-state in places including Buffalo, New York. Florida seems to have a huge population demarcation between the educated, affluent and those that could be described as functionally illiterate. For some reason the state of Florida is an amazing, unlimited source for news stories that fall under the category of Florida weird.

Even law enforcement officers in the Florida are cartoon characters that exceed a Hollywood script writers wildest imagination. Over in Polk County there is a Sheriff by the name of Gary Judd who media clamors for each and every day for quotable sound bites. Why, for example, was a murder suspect fired upon with 110 rounds and hit 68 times? After a pause Grady Judd replied, "well I 'rekon that was all the bullets they had." Under klieg lights in a room that is an exact replica of the White House briefing room Grady Judd recently delivered his latest triumph of Florida law enforcement, Operation Hot Date! The sting, planned with all the precision of the D-Day invasion, busted overweight John's wearing mullets, ball caps and missing two front incisors. Wow, there really are guys who are dumb enough to think would meet up with smoking internet teenage babes instead of Grady Judd's vice-officers. Yes central Florida is in the deep south with all of the stereotypes that comes with that description.

Have you also considered the University of South Florida in Tampa? That is an enormous university with a high profile in many departments.

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Have you also considered the University of South Florida in Tampa? That is an enormous university with a high profile in many departments.

I have only just started looking at grad school options, and that one didn't pop up yet. I have two years before I have to get ready for it, but because of [not typing long frustrating story], I've had too much free time before classes start next week and have been trying to figure out where I want to settle and make my home. I appreciate any and all input. Keep it coming.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I have a lot of family and friends in Florida and have spent a lot of time over the past few years in Fort Lauderdale, helping take care of my grandparents through their illnesses. Northern and southern Florida are two totally different places. North Florida is like the rest of the South. South Florida is tropical and inhabited by people from the Northeastern US. Orlando is inhabited by tourists.

That said, I like Gainesville a lot, since I have friends there, but it is very much like the town I live in. It's dominated by the university.

Fort Lauderdale and Miami are fun because of the beaches and all the activites there. I have only been to a few clubs in South Beach, but I know people who love that scene. I don't like it, but went with a bunch of friends.

My suggestion would be to take a week or two vacation down there and spend time in a few different places, checking out the social scene, the housing market, etc. That way you can make an informed decision.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
South Florida is beautiful too. The Cities here are not paved over urban jungles.

D

deleted15807

It's a great place to winter. Winter is something one should not have to put up with.

TopDudeFtl

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's hot, humid, rains daily, has fire ants, costs a lot to live there and there's tons of snow birds and really old people...

For the record, it's not hot - just really warm, definitely humid, fire ants aren't everywhere, it's only costly if you want to live near the water, snow birds are only down for a few months and we keep the really old people caged up.

It is, as they say, a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Even though I live here? :confused:

I love Florida. The armpit is the panhandle. Orlando has terrible traffic due to everyone rushing to the theme parks, especially in the morning. There is a gay community there, but Tampa/ST. Pete and Fort Lauderdale are more gay friendly...

I completely agree.

I have always enjoyed visiting Florida in the winter when it's cold in NYC, The only places I've been are Key West, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando and Naples. If I had to pick a place to live it would be Naples or Ft. Lauderdale. Maybe it would be a good idea to go down and check out a few places first.

I vote Fort Lauderdale. Would love to have you! :biggrin1:

Where are the areas south of Orlando that have houses on acreage?

Actually, there are plenty of places all over Florida where you can have some acreage. Keep in mind though; the larger the property in the metro areas the more $ you'll need.