Tell us about your best friend...

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by earllogjam, Oct 28, 2011.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

:smile: Where did you meet? What you like about him/her? How long have you known each other?

2. D2Have

D2Have New Member

This is probably depressing to say to you but I don't have a best friend, haven't had one for many years.

I have a boyfriend, if you wanna count him as a best 'friend' then I have one, but a real friend... I don't have. :/

3. Solvejg

Solvejg New Member

My best friend and i are having a tiff at the moment. WE dated on and off for over 7 years when we were younger until i met my ex husband. He found someone else too. After my marriage broke up, i was single for 2 years until my current man and he then chooses this time to tell me, he would leave his partner for me and i told him no, i am with my boyfriend. He is all butthurt and we are having a bit of a break from each other. He is still my best friend and has been for over 14years.

How we met? School orchestra. He was first chair violin and i was principal viola. We used to take pieces of music and arrange them for different weird combinations of instruments like an oboe, double bass duet. ect I was 11 and he was 13

4. Russ311

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well I have two best friends. The first is my boyfriend, who I have been friends with since I was 5 yrs old. We met in kindergarten and bonded immediatly. What I like about him is that we share the same interests and have so much fun together. I cam honestly say that there is not a boring moment with him and we still have as much fun together now as we did when we were 16!

My other best friend I actually met here, and even though we have never met face to face I hold him to this role in my life. We chat everynight at the same time and have so much in common it's scary. He knows who he is and what our friendship means to both of us. When he is busy and not able to make our nightly chat we both say how much it sucks because those chats have become part of our days. He's a great guy and I am honored to have a friend like him!

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Well my best friend is my partner and soul mate, but my long time best friend...
    ...We met sitting next to each other on Western Airlines flight from LA to Honolulu when I was going to UCLA. It was just one of those magic moments when you meet someone and you feel like you have known them your entire life. We talked the entire flight and made plans to call each other while I was in Hawaii. We ran into each other at a bar the next night and have been partners in crime ever since.
    We never lie to each other but we don't always slap each other with the cold hard truth either. We have been through thick and thin and sick and sin. I could write a book about him but I won't bore you any more with my ramblings.
    Everyone should have a friend like this that you can count on no matter what!

6. phndoc

phndoc Member

I met my bbf about 15 yrs ago at church. We work together and talk most days. Between both of us we make one good man. For what I lack he makes up for and I him.

7. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I'm similar to Russ. I met my best friend when we were both about 6 years old in grade school. There was an immediate connection from that time until the present. He's a complex guy so I guess that's why we're still best friends in that he fascinates me and has still kept my attention for all these years. I could talk about him a lot but I won't. Suffice it to say, he's an amazing and loving person. :smile:

#7 B_Hung Jon, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  8. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I and a certain fellow met about 30 years ago and became friends during a very difficult and important period of both our lives, when we were both just out of college and at a loss what to make of our working lives. Subsequently, we lived in different parts of the country, but remained close, spending large parts of days together whenever I would visit my home town (where he remained) and, when apart, communicating by letter, telephone, and eventually e-mail. We had a vast stock of conversational references in common, some of it very sophisticated, some of it very silly. In the fall of 2008, he was found to have brain cancer, and in the summer of 2010, he died of it. I said at his memorial service: "I could not have asked for a better friend. Certainly I do not expect ever to have one."

9. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

My wife is my best friend, but I'm assuming you mean "best friend other than the person you are in a long-term conjugal relationship with".

My best friend is a woman I dated briefly several years ago. After we split up, we didn't reconnect as friends for several months. But we share some similar tastes and enjoy each others' company. More importantly, she's someone who has always been there as a sounding board, who I can rely on in a pinch, and who never seems to get fazed by any situation.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't have a single "best friend" per se. But over the last few years I've assembled a team of supportive, loving people who share the ups and downs of my life with me, as I them with theirs.

I gotta say, I'm impressed by the extreme longevity of some of the friendships I've read about in this thread. I can't even begin to imagine such stability in one's life; I've certainly never enjoyed anything comparable.

11. B_debonair87

B_debonair87 New Member

don't have one.

use to have one but he did me wrong.

i have a lot of friends and acquaintances. i'm a pretty out going and social dude. but i've learned not to get close to people

12. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

This brought tears to my eyes immediately. Under those circumstances, I know I could not have maintained my composure long enough to get those two beautiful sentences out of my mouth.

13. D_Rictiotarvic_Ephenphart

D_Rictiotarvic_Ephenphart Account Disabled

I only have best friends. I don't do casual friendships (much to my sorrow). I've had 4 friends my entire adult life. One died of cancer 3 years ago. One is an ex boyfriend whom I love dearly and don't see enough of. Another lives in my hometown and I try not to go there more than necessary, but we stay in touch often. The third is my soulmate whom I bought a house with recently. We're going into our dotage together. Is it okay for a gay guy to have a soulmate relationship with a str8 woman? Those labels just keep blurring the older i get...

14. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, guy. The whole speech was hard to deliver, even though two weeks had passed since my friend's death.

I was tempted to write more about loss and grief here, but to do so would be to get off the topic of the thread.

15. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    that's awesome

16. earllogjam

Gold Member

Sadly, I lost my best friend, whom I've known since 4th grade, to marriage. He married a guy I dislike and most of his time is spent with his now husband and their new circle of friends. We just drifted apart. That and the growing socio economic rift between us made each of us feel uncomfortable in each other's new circle. I still love him like a brother but unfortunately we just aint that close any longer. I don't know how to fix it. I haven't seen him since his mother died maybe 6 years ago.

17. mickstl

mickstl New Member

Albums:
    Sorry to read that, Earl -- you would be a very interesting person to have in one's life. While I know it hurts, he is the one who is losing out.

BTW, I just rejoined...it's nice to see you're still on here, keeping us thinking.

18. dirrtyminded

dirrtyminded Member

Albums:
    I've known my best friend from the day I was born, hell I'd say right from the moment I was born. We didn't really get to know each other very well until I was 12, that's when my left hand took a hold of me and.....

Oh you meant my actual best friend... We met at work 4 years ago and even though we've moved on to different things, we're still the best of friends, she's my confidant and my comfort. I can tell her anything and we've been through quite a bit with each other.

She's straight-forward, passionate, spontaneous, caring, fun and she looks like Jennifer Garner from Alias (people actually tell her this).

19. earllogjam

Gold Member

Thanks Mick :smile: Good to see you're still here too!

20. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted