Ten Commandments

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
So - what is this "any other God before me" business - does that mean that you can have other gods and that there are other gods, just that they are beneath the big guy?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
So - what is this "any other God before me" business - does that mean that you can have other gods and that there are other gods, just that they are beneath the big guy?

The wording you are looking at is like that to leave open the fact there were other faiths (some polytheastic) at the time and that converts from these faiths needed to adjust into the concept of the 'one God'.

OOOOOOO!!!!!

Your brazen attitude is quite scary.

I thank my God for every breath he allows mr to take!!!!

Who's brazen. I'm not in the least bit brazen.

As things stand for me at the moment - if I get hit by a bus or whatever tomorrow - I'm going to Hell. End of.

Edit: that's not to say I couldn't do something about it - plenty I can do about it.. I should probably start soon! I'm not geting any younger!

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
The wording you are looking at is like that to leave open the fact there were other faiths (some polytheastic) at the time and that converts from these faiths needed to adjust into the concept of the 'one God'.

It doesn't read like that to me. It reads like, you owe me, and I'm a jealous *****, don't f*ck with me or I'll piss on your family through your great great great grandchildren.

And he doesn't say he is "the one God". That's what you lot keep saying :biggrin1:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
It doesn't read like that to me. It reads like, you owe me, and I'm a jealous *****, don't f*ck with me or I'll piss on your family through your great great great grandchildren.

And he doesn't say he is "the one God". That's what you lot keep saying :biggrin1:

Semantics! 'THE' God - or 'THE' Lord are the closest translations - which is pretty much equivalent. And I think the monotheastic nature of the Abrahamic faiths can be taken as a given at this stage.

The text you are referring to is most commonly translated into English as:

for I the LORD your God am a jealous God,
visiting the iniquity of the fathers
upon the children to the third and the fourth
generation of those who hate me,
but showing steadfast love to thousands of those
who love me and keep my commandments.

And, yes, your interpretation isn't that different from mine - but you chose to ignore the last two lines there. And the fact that He also never says you can't change your mind. The ability to repent is a big part of the whole Jesus thing God had going on there a while back - you might want to read up on it. :tongue: