Termed "Boyfriend"?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Smaccoms, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    So I just started seeing this guy (he is TOTALLY amazing!!!). We started talking about what it means to start saying your "dating" said person, or call him your "boyfriend", and what the difference is there between that and "seeing" said person. What do you call someone you're "seeing" anyways? I don't really understand the different levels of commitment here and how they relate to the relationship itself...BLAH!!!

2. MickeyLee

Gold Member

"seeing someone" sounds like sizing up of the relationship.. on the way to boyfriend status?
    dating could be the same as seeing someone :confused:

umm ya could call him ya man-pop o' lovin :biggrin:

3. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Call him whatever he lets you call him. Or whatever he calls you, call him the same. The 'levels of commitment' stuff is entirely up to the two involved.

Incidentally I just got frozen out when somebody's mom walked in. Guess that makes me non-family. :mad:

4. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    We only met about a week ago, but we like each other SO much. Everything is so new, I don't know how to approach anything anymore. I never thought I'd be getting into any sort of serious relationship, let alone now! He kind of just appeared out of no where, we fit together so well. Should I really not worry how we convey our "relationship" to other people? Life is full of so many surprises...

5. belowaverage1

belowaverage1 Member

Convey it for and as what it is.

6. monel

Gold Member

Based on this introduce him as your "friend" until you establish a deeper relationship.

7. coachreffn

coachreffn Active Member

Albums:
    Regardless of orientation, a week is not sufficient time to say that you are in 'a relationship', boyfriend, dating etc. Level of commitment? There is none. This is a great phase of a budding relationship - the infatuation stage. It is great. Enjoy it...but don't try to label it - yet. That comes in time.

8. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

people have different definitions of BF, I think. I remember an ex telling me that we were BFs from the first time we slept together. I thought that we were DATING - meaning we could both see other people until we knew it was "just us". He was pissed that I was seeing other guys while he was only seeing me. That didn't last long from my side - maybe only a few months after we first met. Then we were together for a year before breaking up.

I still don't know when you confirm that you're committed/monogamous to each other. Do people date others while they're dating the guy/girl they like best? This can be a hard call.

9. houtx48

Gold Member

when you start referring to him as your husbear then that's when I am going to slap you upside the head.

10. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am not sure when it gets to the point where I could say I've entered into a steady, stable romantic relationship. At this point we're still getting to know each other and developing our own sense of intimacy between the two of us. Infatuation stage? Is that what you call it? I suppose that's fairly accurate, though it doesn't feel like quite the right word, I'm not sure how to describe myself here. Every romantic relationship (or pre-romantic relationship) is different, right?

It's like such a gray area. I know so little about relationships. Just this week the relationship we've developed has really started to feel more intimate, and I feel a great deal more trust between the two of us. I've never liked anyone like I like this guy...

husbear? Where did that term come from? Slap me? *snaps* Excuse me bitch?
    SO far I've referred to him as "bub" and "honey bear" and "hun". They seem to fit my liking for now. He likes to call me "sweetie" hehe.

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Honestly, any level of commitment beyond a next date takes time, and I'd avoid any attempt to label this situation anything beyond "happiness" for at least a few (4-6) months. As things evolve and grow, talk it through.

Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted