Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I need to rant a bit....

**Totally skipable backstory**
I'm a member of three "community" based websites....two of them are LPSG, and facebook. I was VERY sceptical of such a concept when I first started. Sadly, I was lulled into a sense of comfort with the the overwelming amount of friends and family posting and communicating via FB. Its become the best way to get ahold of 90 percent of my friends. Especially after college and we have parted ways I have been able to keep in touch.

**The Rant**
Over a month ago I was updating my personal info on my facebook account. On one page i had clicked submit and face book bombed out it appeared. I reopened the page and tried to log in only to receive a message saying my account had been disabled saying I had used a feature to many times. Their webpage refuses to tell you what limit you have broken or what feature. Its like saying we aren't going to post the speed limit because people might drive that limit.

**Some fruitless exchanges have been left out of the following for the sake of brevity to this already too long of a rant**

I emailed the "appeals" email address listed on the page. Not only did it take several days for a response but they put accused me of my email not being the owner of the account since my email i had messaged from wasn't on file. I noticed in the reply from them they responded to a differently formatted version of my account. These accounts used to be based on your randomly assigned user name but the service had changed to a more visually appealing version of your name as the address rather that your username they had originally used. Both still work when you send to them but the new way is now the only one used when sending mail (I'm sure in an attempt to phase out the old accounts eventually). I explained this situation and received a message asking for the answer to my security question which I answered.........and never heard back from them. I then sent a fresh emailing detailing the experience only to be sent an automated message about the lack of a verified account. Now at wits end a flash of the obvious hits...

I sought answers on google and found there was a phone number. I called said number and was told by the automated message that they don't do phone support...kinda understand...maybe.... but I wanted to at least voice my concerns over the horrible customer service the support people where providing. The greeting also said if you know your parties extension dial it. On a hunch I pressed 0 and got the operator. I explained everything and then asked to speak to customer service. "Oh no problem" she then transferrs me to an automated message with the same message about no phone support and it then HANGS UP ON ME!!! Angry beyond beleif I immediatly redialed and pressed 0 only to get a message "The person you are trying to reach....."facebook operator"...... is not available." Wondering if she didn't somhow "blacklist" my phone number i gave it another attempt from my buddies phone who was at the house but no luck....same result. I gave up on it for the night at this point.....

After a few days of no response via email I decided i wasn't old enough to be 100 percent jaded with the world and gave them the benifit of a possible mistake in the phone transfer and decided to call again tonight. I was able to get the operator once more and I impressed upon her that the email support channel was not working and that i would like to speak to somone. I asked several questions to which i was met with the team tag line "facebook does not provide phone support" completly fed up I did what you are taught and asked for a suporvisor....... very nicely I might add. I didn't yell and scream at her and didn't want to i just wanted help or at least an explanation.

At this point i should copy and past my text from above because that f#$&ing bitch transferred me to the same damn recording that HUNG UP on me the first time!!!!! Again i foolishly called back was told the person you are trying to reach "facebook operator" is not available. I nearly embeded my phone in the living room wall upon hearing this. If I didn't want to yell at her before i surely wanted to now! The last call was just finished up tonight........

So at this point i'll get off my street corner and put down my megaphone and say goodnight. I'm currently drafting one final email to them and am debating the tone of it.........

Any CONSTRUCTIVE adivice thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Eboomo

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Come on man, I even asked nicely, I really want constructive comments please. :( You have to understand that has nothing to do with it right? They have taken my information without cause which has nothing to do with monetary value for me (Though they sell it repeatedly I'm sure) and everything to do with personal value. Creating a new account doesn't do anything to help this problem.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I find the Face's user interface annoying as fuck. Just like other social networking sites that started off as a good idea, they have grown into a social phenomena that are more concerned with ad revenue than anything else. In other words, the user is on their own, as you are not a 'paying member'.

Think Kink is pretty much on when she says just open an account under a new email. Yea its a pain in the ass but remember you are getting what you pay for. :p

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I also agree with TK. And I don't get what you are so het up about.

They don't do phone support - so don't try to get them on the phone. Your email addy has changed without actually changing, as I understand it, and it just so happens that has fucked up your facebook account. If you want to keep using facebook open a new account and re-add everyone.

Facebook owe you nothing - what exactly do you feel you paid for that you are not getting value for money from?

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
MySpace it better..."
I would never do FACE BOOK..."

Myspace is not better to me...i hate that i keep being asked friend requests by music artists....i'm not into music as a passion...i much prefer films....then there is the fact that your profile is accessible to anyone at all....at least on FB you decide who sees your profile.....and texas hold em application looks tidy compared to the myspace version (but myspace do get more log-on chips grrrr)

Eboomo

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
So everyone here would be totally okay if they took your account down here and wouldn't answer any customer support channels. They have all of your pictures, history, PMs, and anything else you have put into the site. You would just walk away and let them use it however they want and start a new account??? I'm not sure what to think about that.....interesting to say the least.

On a side note I do want to be clear that the admin support here has actually been very good when I've needed their help. Even if the community seems to have lost the S in lpsg the site owners/mods have been doing quite nice. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Eboomo

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Myspace is not better to me...i hate that i keep being asked friend requests by music artists....i'm not into music as a passion...i much prefer films....then there is the fact that your profile is accessible to anyone at all....at least on FB you decide who sees your profile.....and texas hold em application looks tidy compared to the myspace version (but myspace do get more log-on chips grrrr)

Totally agree!! I was on MS for like 2 days before I shut everything down!!! No good IMO.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
So everyone here would be totally okay if they took your account down here and wouldn't answer any customer support channels. They have all of your pictures, history, PMs, and anything else you have put into the site. You would just walk away and let them use it however they want and start a new account??? I'm not sure what to think about that.....interesting to say the least.

Well - if you actually read the ToS here and the ToS over at facebook you will see that by creating the account you have given LPSG or facebook license to everything you have uploaded / posted to the site. (Facebook have recently adopted a new set of 'policy' documents that don't give them unlimited access / rights to everything forever, by the way.)

So yes, seeing as I'm not a complete idiot who doesn't read the small print when signing up for any service, free or paid, I would be OK if they 'took [my] account down here and wouldn't answer any customer support channels' because I agreed to that when I signed up - so did you.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

On a side note I do want to be clear that the admin support here has actually been very good when I've needed their help. Even if the community seems to have lost the S in lpsg the site owners/mods have been doing quite nice. Keep up the good work.

Your 1st point: I agree and that's the risk you run joining a social networking site. We essentially open our lives up to unknown cybergods and do it at your own risk.

2nd: Here here!!! The mods and admin here are WONDERFUL and i was not directing my dis' at LP. I am on the Space, the Face, the Tweet and the...Dick? lol LPSG is by far my favorite and the only one I regularly interact with. :biggrin1: