testostrone

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by luvinlife83, Aug 13, 2009.

1. luvinlife83

luvinlife83 Member

I have been feeling really tired, and have severe headaches. I went to the doctor and he did some blood work and found that my testostrone level was low. I am going to have more blood work done on my testostrone level. If my low testostrone is the cause of my headaches and fatigue that the low levels will be corrected by medication. I am just wondering has anyone on here had experience with this? what kind of medication were you on and what were the side affects. I wanted to ask the doctor these questions but he had an emergency and had to go. let me know.

2. crossy

Gold Member

Check thyroid - testosterone not an accurate test of anything. Jack off an hour before the blood draw and it can be normal or high. check b12 folic acid b6, lots of stuff to check further. the psa is another stupid test.

#2 crossy, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  3. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

Just for the record the spelling is: TESTOSTERONE

To know what is going on here it takes a great deal more than a single test. If serum testosterone is low it simply is a production issue. To check if the production is caused by a pituitary abnormality levels of several other hormones need checking.

No testosterone test can be accurate however unless the testing includes both the serum and "free floating" levels.

Established guidelines for testosterone levels vary widely depending on the lab and what the insurance companies will pay for. Some consider a serum of below 400 to qualify as needing replacement others consider a below 200 to be required.

A PSA test is one of two different tests. There is PSA-1 and PSA-2. The PSA test is for what is called Prostate Specific Antigen. If you have a very high antigen level it means that something is going on and that you are at risk for adenocarcinoma cancer of the prostate. An extremely high PSA level is cause for a prostate biopsy sample and reason to look for cancer cells.

Any man over age 40 needs to have a PSA at least every 2 years. If you have a family history of adenocarcinoma cancer (uterine, breast, ovarian, testicular, prostatic, male-breast) then the test should be repeated yearly. If the history is in both parents and or both parents lost their lives to this form of cancer then the test should be done 2 times per year or every six months.

Testosterone replacement is done by injection, by transdermal patch, or by transdermal cream. Most MD's use a cream that is a derivitive of the testosterone ester "cypionate" which is in injectable form Depo Testosterone. It is used because it has a long life in the blood and is stable. The downside is that usage of this over time either by cream or by injection will cause testicular atrophy (shrinking of your balls). If this is done, your MD will up front have to discuss the usage of a series of Beta Chorionic Gonadotropin injections twice per year in order to prevent atrophy. Most MD's will not do what they need to do and that is to use supplemental DHT instead which does not upset the pituitary axis.

The side effects with testosterone in fact are very few in most men. Over time you may have some additional body hair, you may find that you need to shave slightly more often, and if this is the cause of the fatigue and depression you have you will begin to feel better very quickly as the testosterone levels rise.

In some men this is the best treatment for depression and some are far more responsive to HRT than to anti-depressants.

You are already lucky in that you have an MD that is considering doing this for you. Because of old myths about male HRT many are still allowing men to be miserable rather than treat them.

Good Luck

4. luvinlife83

luvinlife83 Member

I've only had initial blood work done. I have an appointment for monday for more labs. I guess these will the test you are talking about. are there any other possible side effects.

5. Meniscus

Gold Member

luvn, you're doctor will probably put you on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). He may or may not send you to an endocrinologist for more tests and a more comprehensive analysis of your hormone levels. If you do go on TRT, there's a gel you can rub into your upper arms and shoulders and/or belly, but you have to be careful not to let other people touch your skin in those places, especially women and children, because they can get some of the testosterone, which can be dangerous for them over time.

Sometimes insurance won't cover the gel, in which case you can either pay for it out of pocket (it's expensive) or you can get a different form of TRT, probably a periodic shot (which most insurance policies will cover). There's also a patch and...there's something else, but I forget what it is. Anyway, each form of TRT has its pros and cons. Many people like the gel, but others prefer the shot.

Anyway, several guys here are on or have been on TRT at some point. Most of them have benefitted from it, although sometimes it took a while to find the best form and dose that worked for them. I was on it for a while because my T levels are "low-normal" but it didn't work well for me. (I've written about this elsewhere on the forum.)

In a way, I think you're better off than I am. Because my T levels are technically in the normal range, it was hard to find a doctor to take my problems seriously or to consider that my T level might be the cause. (For the past couple of years, I've had low libido, depression, loss of interest, difficulty focusing/concentrating, etc.) Part of the reason I'm not on TRT anymore is because my current doctor doesn't believe I need it. My previous doctor (who retired from medicine) might have changed my dose or switched me to a different form of testosterone replacement before giving up on the therapy. At some point I may seek out another opinion. Someone here suggested an expert who works in Boston, but I haven't bothered to contact him yet.

Side effects can include an increased libido (which isn't really a side effect if your libido is low), growth of additional body hair, acne, higher cholesterol, prostate growth (and increased risk for prostate cancer), and your testicles can shrink. There are other possible side effects, but I think I've hit the most likely ones. You can find more information on the Internet.

If your doctor does put you on TRT, he'll monitor the side effects to make sure that the benefits of the therapy outweigh the disadvantages.

Keep us posted on what your doctor recommends and how it works out for you. Good luck.

6. Meniscus

Gold Member

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Good post, Ken. What's DHT?

7. jujube

jujube Active Member

I think it is an acronym for dihydrotestosterone.

8. D_Mylor Mentallydaft

D_Mylor Mentallydaft Account Disabled

test might help most of your problems but if i were you i'd go for GH (growth hormone) therapy, 2 of the big nation wide advocates are buddies with my doctor, both are in their 70s neither look feel or act over 40...... that is assuming you;re old enough to have a GH def, if you're no over 40 its PROBABLY the thyroid

9. crossy

Gold Member

If you live long enough your prostate probably will kill you. A knowledgeable finger up your ass will tell volumes about your prostate. Want to see a PSA test go from a .4 to a 6 or 7 just jack off 10 minutes before the blood draw. As FUZZY KEN says the testosterone situation depends on a shit load of other details. Insurance is sometimes the consideration for administration... Since I am not a quack and perform double and triple checks on my quacks in HARRISON on Internal Medicine the MERCK MANUAL of medicine 2nd edition and the internet. I pride myself in being accurate over 10% of the time...lacking a twelve year medical education. The first thing I check is the value of the home the physician lives in. Divorces, shit like that. I am very suspicious of the medical field. If a Doc is building a new wing on his home with a pool etc, you can be certain to be overmedicated, uneccessary surgery, etc.
    Believe this or not the physicians I have been happiest with have been from India. Isn't that a hoot.

#9 crossy, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. B_mature54

B_mature54 New Member

I have been on Testosterone replacement for about three years now. I tried the gels, both Androgel and Testim, neither one of them would raise my levels to a normal range. I was in the 240's to the 250's.
    I had my doctor to put me on Depo-Testosterone about two months ago and my leves have come up to 411. Quite an improvement. I was having headaches and was feeling totally drained also. After starting the injections I feel a lot better and the headaches have gone away. I am also having more frequent and harder erections, a very good side effect LOL. I have noticed some decrease in the size of my testicles but consider that a small trade off for the benefits that I am getting. Hope this helps. If you need anymore info let me know

11. flynn

flynn Active Member

Albums:
    I'm now on T replacement shots. They help in many ways including libido. I was told by my urologist to take a supplement also. I chose DHEA it helps the body produce natural T. Supposedly the combintion will increase the T level and minimize the amount of synthetic T that I will need.

12. cdarro

cdarro New Member

I'm on Testim gel 50 mg daily. Same symptoms as you describe, plus irritability, loss of interest etc. Doctor originally had me on a Test. patch, but it was irritating and very expensive. The gel isn't cheap either, and neither are covered by Blue Cross, so I'm going to ask for the injections, which I think are covered.

13. D_Odipherous Pitts

D_Odipherous Pitts Account Disabled

Testosterone levels for individuals can be just that... individual. What is "normal" for you might not be normal for ME.

A few years ago when I was in for my annual physical I told the doctor that it felt like my test levels were rapidily declining. He said it didn't look like it because of my muscular build. However, as I've grown older each year I have noticed a decline.

He agreed to check my test levels and when I got the results I was surprised. The normal level for guys my age was like 250-750 or so. I was at 1009! WTF? What was I at when I was 25 years old and would fuck a knot hole in a tree if it was good looking? This also explains why I have been able to pack on muscle mass so easily compared to most people. Besides having great genetics my naturally high test levels gave me a HUGE advantage over others. However, with my lowering levels I started to feel like a mere mortal.

I then realized that normal levels are an average and my "normal" levels were a lot higher than most people's normal levels. Since then my levels have continued to decline each year to the point that I have started testosterone replacement therapy to get my levels back into a normal range for me. I am currently not on therapy, taking 6 months off but hope to return to it this winter.

14. Symphonic

Gold Member

Albums:
    dude your dick will get bigger lol!

15. B_KOKOBWARE

B_KOKOBWARE New Member

No Testosterone...no sex life:eek:
    that is a medical fact!

Good for you bro in taking control of your health...no man should have to live with low Test levels.

16. luvinlife83

luvinlife83 Member

dude your dick will get bigger lol!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I wish that were true. Harder maybe, bigger, I doubt it.

17. nolbaby

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    dude. fuck these nay sayers. do it. you probably had like 6 big ass samples of blood drawn and sent to some lab for testing, which came back with low test results that were like a 22 on scales where the average is 31 and the healthy range is 25-40... or something along those lines, right? and there were probably like 6 of those tests? if that sounds familiar, then yes, i have done that whole process. they will Rx you injections of testosterone on a very timid level, and possibly some ingestions as well. once you start taking all this shit, give it about 5 days until you start to notice your body and mind behaving like they did when you were 18. its the best shit ever.
    only problem is the cost. as with many meds, test is pretty pricey. its not like you can buy it at wal-mart for $6 and get a 30 day supply out of it, and... well, i guess it depends if your health insurance has you on it or not. i know mine didn't because i didn't have any health insurance at the time lol. but seriously, taking test will fix problems on levels you can't even imagine. do it do it do it.

18. adamp82

adamp82 New Member

I've been taking testosterone by injection for over a year now. My thyroid wasnt functioning but it was because of the lack of testosterone. I take 200mg every two weeks and have finally gotten to where I can give myself the shot, doest really hurt, just the thought. Only thing is the day of and and after it makes you super horny so tell your mate to watch out lol. let me know if you have any other questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted