Texas Becomes a Majority-Minority State

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr. Dilznick, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

EL PASO, Texas - Texas has become the fourth state to have a non-white majority population, the U.S. Census Bureau said Thursday, a trend driven by a surging number of Hispanics moving to the state.

According to the population estimates based on the 2000 Census, about 50.2 percent of Texans are now minorities. In the 2000 Census, minorities made up about 47 percent of the population in the second-largest state.

Texas joins California, New Mexico and Hawaii as states with majority-minority populations — with Hispanics the largest group in every state but Hawaii, where it is Asian-Americans.

Five other states — Maryland, Mississippi, Georgia, New York and Arizona — aren't far behind, with about 40 percent minorities.

Public policy analysts said these states and the country as a whole need to bring minority education and professional achievement to the levels of whites. Otherwise, these areas risk becoming poorer and less competitive.

William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., said lawmakers need to start with immigration reform, while striving to bring minorities' education and salary levels in line with Anglos.

"Immigration is good for the United States ... it's important for us to keep our doors open, but we need to keep an eye on the people coming in," Frey said. "While initially it will be a state problem, eventually it will be a national issue, and education is the best way to deal with it."

Complications from the cultural shift aren't likely to be exclusive to states that already have majority-minority populations, Frey said.

Nevada, for instance, has seen a massive influx of minorities in the last 15 years, reducing the percentage of Anglos since the 1990s from nearly 80 percent to about 60 percent. Such a rapid shift is likely to cause growing pains that include trying to balance the needs of a bigger and younger minority community with an aging Anglo community, Frey said.

"That's the kind of state that is going to have to deal with quick transition," Frey said.

Though some areas may never see this shift, the country as a whole is expected to continue the trend first noticed more than a decade ago.

The nation should be more than half minorities by 2050, said Steve Murdock, a demographer at the University of Texas at San Antonio.

"If you look in the 1990s, in every one of the 50 states, non-Anglo Hispanic populations grew faster than Anglo populations," Murdock said. "It's a very pervasive pattern."

Associated Press Writer Juan A. Lozano in Houston contributed to this report

2. robertomuro

robertomuro New Member

Surely they should then be called the majority or would that have to large a political repercussion?

3. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I always felt llike the minority while I was growing up in south Texas.

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Texan #1: "We was worried about the Mexicans outnumberin' us so we started givin' out free condoms to them."

Texan #2: "So what happened?"

Texan #1: "Today ah bought a buncha oranges from a guy while I was stopped at a traffic light. They was stuffed in a condom."

5. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

White folks will always have Montana & the Dakotas. ;)

6. cruztbone

Gold Member

Growing up in southern Cal, I always felt the outcast as Latino, dark skinned and a non-surfer. Life in Redondo Beach(featured in one of the Beach Boys more well -known ditties) was not fun as a ho-dad.

I know what youre thinking lpsg members,but get your mind off sex for a moment.

In the 60's, a ho-dad was a non-surfer who lived in a surf mecca. That was me.

In any event, in California I became part of the Latino majority in 2000. Its GOOD TO BE IN THE MAJORITY, AT LAST!!

I laugh at all the Anglos who still dont know how to eat a tamale, have never eaten pozole and are now all claiming that Ricardo Montalban was really their great uncle or second cousin .

No matter what the minutemen do, migration to the U. S. will continue from Mexico and Central America.

VIVA CALIFORNIA Y LA RAZA! :toast:

7. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Wel, White people (caucasians) ARE a minority--when you look at the global numbers.

Are you moving, Chimera?

8. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Haha my friend's neighborhood is Norte 14/XIV "territory." One time I saw a building tagged with "Norte X4." Some stupid Mexican kid couldn't remember the rest of the Roman numeral I guess.

9. cruztbone

Gold Member

Not to disillusion you, but not all Mexican kids claim to 13ers or 14ers. I know. I have taught our Latino students in public middle and high schools, and most of them use the Hindu-Arabic numeration system nearly all the time, as I do. Many of them go on to graduate from universities as I did(Cal state U Long Beach and Cal state U San Jose). I have little use for Roman numeration. It is a clumsy, awkward system best left to those gangbangers with low self-esteem who wish to utilize third-rate European mathematic numeration to identify themselves.

By the way, Montana and the Dakotas are registering growth in the Latino population as well.
    I was in Billings last summer, returning from the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone . I found three Mexican restaurants in the phone book.None of them were the trashy Del Taco or Taco Bell
    (which arent real Mexican food anyway).

:hi:

10. D_Barbi_Queue

I miss real mexican food. New Hampshire was shit for cooking anything like the real stuff. Here in New York, I'm among hispanics again and hope to find a good mexican restaurant soon.

11. jonb

Gold Member

They won't for long. They're moving out; urban Indians are moving back. And even if urban Indians weren't moving back, there's like four or five kids for every adult on some reservations.

12. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    This reminds me of a comedy routine I saw one time I think by Carlin or someone else which went something like.. "How fucking narrow minded is the use of the word minority in this country? I bet if we plopped a redneck in Niger he'd look around and say 'Man, lthere sure are a lot of minorities here.'"

13. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    But seriously, why does everyone seem to be so saddeneed by the fact that they have been or might one day be the racial minority? why the fuck does it matter? Do you think that racial injustice in inherently human and would be practiced by any racial majority?

14. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Nortenos are funny, though. They tried to hit me up while I was on a trip to Oakland. I was with 4 Negroes and they were like "What you claim?" I was like WTF. Does it look like I bang?

I know all these Mexican kids that dress like vatos but don't bang. And they always talk about going to visit their family in LA (every Mexican has either lived there or has family there) and having to remember to wear neutral colors and tell everybody, "I don't claim!" the whole time they're not.

15. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

My mum's in Texas right now. *Yay*
    Anyway, social geography and all that does interesting things. That's the US for you, it's filled with people and it's gonna keep on filling in a fluid distribution.

16. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I still have a hard time finding good Mexican food in NYC. So far the best I've found was in Ft. Greene and Sunset Park, of all places.

17. jonb

Gold Member

Now in CALIFORNIA, good Mexican restaurants are everywhere.

18. D_Barbi_Queue

Yup, we lived in San Diego for a couple years and I was first introduced to Baja Mexican there. Wasn't sure about my first fish taco, but after a few more...I was hooked.

Dr - we've tried the local place that even boasted that they had Tex Mex. Not sure what part of Texas they got those recipes from, but they were off by a huge margin. A couple of my new neighbors have a few places they recommended to me already, but they're mostly up in the northern part of Westchester Co.

19. D_Barbi_Queue

ha ha...well, we've only been here a few weeks, but I haven't seen one yet.

20. madame_zora

Gold Member

I have to admit, I ate some pretty weird food while in Mexico. I guess my delicate American palate is ruined for authentic food! I have too many food issues. There are a couple Mexican restaurants around here that I like to believe are fairly authentic because the cooks and waitstaff are all Mexican, but I guess I won't really know until I find a restaurant that doesn't serve me half a burnt chicken in Mexico.

There is (or at least was) a great mexican restaurant in Chicago next to the Green Mill jazz club, that's probably as close as I've gotten.

edit- Texas Road(kill)houses are awful if you're expecting Mexican food!

Draft saved Draft deleted