Texas Drought

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NPR had a good report on the Texas drought this morning: Drought Puts Texas Ranchers, And Cattle, At Risk : NPR

While I was listening I got so homesick. They have quotes from Mr. Stanley, who's been a close friend of the family for years. He talks about one of my Dad's best friends who's about to give up. Dad quit most of the cattle business a few years ago. He still has a few head, but will probably sell those too. I still have two horses on the ranch, and I'm sending most of my paycheck to make sure all of the horses are cared for. It's almost not enough.

Sad. Sad. We need rain so badly.

Horrible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We actually got a steady slow drizzle for a few hours yesterday afternoon. But it's soooo dry! The sprinkler pattern is very defined by dead grass, it looks pitiful!

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I need to go pay Dad a visit. It always seems to rain when I go home. Maybe I'll stay in Dallas a couple of days on the layover. See if I can bring you guys luck! LOL!

Flyboy, I have first cousins living next door in Seabrook!

And Quercusone, I think that's an old wives tale used to scare the children.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Time for some long term water conservation plans for Texas- including incentives for water efficient machines and appliances! San Diego is working on getting large-scale wastewater recycling, and a new desalination plant in the northern coastal suburbs is in the works.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The weather systems are incredibly off. Drought and devastation in places like Texas and more than the usual rainfall in many north eastern states, even before Irene places had set records for August rainfall. Hope Texas gets relief soon.