Texas Governor Ann Richards - RIP

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Quoting Ivins -

But she disappointed many of her fans because she was so busy fixing what was broken, she never got to change much. The '94 election was a God, gays and guns deal. Annie had told the legislature that if they passed a right-to-carry law, she would veto it. They did, and she did. At the last minute, the NRA launched a big campaign to convince the governor that we Texas women would feel ever so much safer if we could just carry guns in our purses.

Said Annie, "Well, you know that I am not a sexist, but there is not a woman in this state who could find a gun in her handbag."

And people in this thread think she was a proponent of women's rights. Sure. At least until a demeaning stereotype might come in useful. Phooey. That sort of faux-folksy "honesty" I can do without.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ooops. Sorry Onslow, I thought my tag was on this. Well here it is. I didn't realize the former governor of Texas had passed away untill I came upon this thread. I always thought Ann Richards was a great lady and I happened on this article and I realized that Texas was not always a Republican stronghold its made out to be and that even as conservative as it is percieved be it was progressive enough to elect a woman governor which not even Massachussetts or California can claim.

There is a very strong progressive presence in Texas contrary to eveyone's perception but it is hidden behind the gerrymandering and dirty politics of Carl Rove and others who brought W into power there. I think that she is forgotten all too readily. A modern day Annie Oakley, she showed me how one person can make a huge difference in the world against all odds and what can be accomplished with charisma and what can't.

PS- I didn't know Molly Ivins passed away.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
???????

I find it strange that (on this board at least) whenever a Republican wins an election or gets a nomination it's a "shady" deal. Not so with ANY Democrat. They always play fair and their statements and actions are always above board.

Gramps

at least on this board.... seems so. when democrats want to redistrict a state, it's a federal offense when republicans block it, yet when measures come up in dem states... it's too complicated and costly, and against some civil inequity.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
at least on this board.... seems so. when democrats want to redistrict a state, it's a federal offense when republicans block it, yet when measures come up in dem states... it's too complicated and costly, and against some civil inequity.

Funny, I thought that the idea of democracy was that the people have a say in their government. Is the 50% Hispanic and minority population which is Texas proportionally represented in the Republican dominated state government? Not a chance.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Funny, I thought that the idea of democracy was that the people have a say in their government. Is the 50% Hispanic and minority population which is Texas proportionally represented in the Republican dominated state government? Not a chance.

And are you claiming that it was so represented when it was a Dem feifdom? Or is this another special requirement which only applies to those evil Republicans?