Texas governor suggests gay veterans should leave

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally posted by major_7@Jun 14 2005, 02:19 PM
Ft. Luaderdale seems to be ok these days.
Somehow, it is hard to consider S. Florida a southern state. It is not quite the same as the TRUE south.

New Orleans rocks, though, as does Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston. However, with the last three, don't stray to far from path, or you may find yourself in KKK territory.
[post=320526]Quoted post[/post]​

Now, I find this befuddling... My boyfriend is from south Florida, and I, naturally, assumed this to be the South. He informed me this is not so. I asked what could possibly be further south, and he relpied, "Cuba." (He was joking.) I was always under the impression Florida is part of the South, because, well, it fucking is. I find it humorous that there are people who don't regard it as such. I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" kind of situations?

Jacinto, I have heard and read much about Nawlin's and have been aching to visit since I was a wee lass. I have a friend who is moving down there shortly, so perhaps I'll finally be able to realize this dream of mine.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by absinthium+Jun 14 2005, 02:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(absinthium &#064; Jun 14 2005, 02:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-major_7@Jun 14 2005, 02:19 PM

[post=320526]Quoted post[/post]​

Now, I find this befuddling... My boyfriend is from south Florida, and I, naturally, assumed this to be the South. He informed me this is not so. I asked what could possibly be further south, and he relpied, "Cuba." (He was joking.) I was always under the impression Florida is part of the South, because, well, it fucking is. I find it humorous that there are people who don&#39;t regard it as such. I guess it&#39;s one of those "you had to be there" kind of situations?

Jacinto, I have heard and read much about Nawlin&#39;s and have been aching to visit since I was a wee lass. I have a friend who is moving down there shortly, so perhaps I&#39;ll finally be able to realize this dream of mine.
[post=320536]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Probably the confusion here comes from different ideas about "geographical south", "old south", "new south", "deep south"...

The (vague) definitions have changed over the years. Florida is definitely in the southeast US... but generally the "deep south" states (more or less) include Maryland, Virginia, N & S Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Louisana. ---please, don&#39;t anyone attack me about including Maryland; it is, after all, south of the Mason and Dixon line.--- Florida does share some of the charactistics of "the south", but it also does seem to need a catagory all its own.

For an interesting overview, check various travel books, atlases, and such. Interesting to see how different ones will group different states, especially "south" and "midwest" groupings. I have seen my home state of Arkansas listed variously as southern, southwestern (because of the common line with Texas and Oklahoma) and midwestern.

Maybe what we need is a Constitutional Amendment which delineates the groups of states. That way, there would be no disputing it afterward.

major_7

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by DC_DEEP@Jun 14 2005, 03:09 PM

Maybe what we need is a Constitutional Amendment which delineates the groups of states. That way, there would be no disputing it afterward.
[post=320547]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL. However, I think some of our problems we have here in the good ole south *said with with the utmost southern drawl I can muster* stems from some of our Constitutional Amendments (#&#39;s 13 & 15 come to mind).

Indeed FL is south, but we have so many Yankees and other snowbirds down here that it isn&#39;t quite the same (thank goodness&#33;) :D as the rest of the south.

And yes, Julianna, it&#39;s one of those "you had to be there" situations.

If we could get Nixxy out of Pappy&#39;s suitcase, he would probably vouch for this since we are practically neighbors.

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally posted by major_7@Jun 15 2005, 12:46 AM
If we could get Nixxy out of Pappy&#39;s suitcase, he would probably vouch for this since we are practically neighbors.
[post=320765]Quoted post[/post]​

What part of FL? I&#39;m staying in Deland right now, (near Daytona) and will most likely be moving down here soon.

major_7

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by absinthium+Jun 15 2005, 01:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(absinthium &#064; Jun 15 2005, 01:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-major_7@Jun 15 2005, 12:46 AM
[post=320765]Quoted post[/post]​

What part of FL? I&#39;m staying in Deland right now, (near Daytona) and will most likely be moving down here soon.
[post=320783]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

S. Florida ~ Broward County ~ Ft. Lauderdale

This really is a nice state if you can overlook who is running things.
*smile*
He can&#39;t run for another term though.

EDIT: Be nice Major7

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Don&#39;t worry; after two cases of election fraud, I&#39;m convinced Jeb&#39;ll find a way to run again.

About state delineations: I really hate them. Looking at it culturally, politically, ecologically, or economically, they don&#39;t make sense. All I can think of is "red-state retro": People in the Midwest think hippies still exist, and Camaros are still cool.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
bitchin camaro, bitchin camaro
I ran over my neighbors
now I&#39;m in all the papers

my folks bought me a bitchin camaro
with no insurance to match
so if I happen to run you down
please don&#39;t leave a scratch

I ran over some old lady
one night at the county fair
and I didn&#39;t get arrested
because my dad&#39;s the mayor

when I drive past the kids
they all spit and cuss
cos I got a bitchin camaro
and they have to ride the bus

so you&#39;d better get out of my way
when I come through your yard
cos I got a bitchin camaro
and an exxon credit card

hey man where ya headed
I&#39;m drunk on unleaded

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
State with more lenient views? No offense to anyone, but thats like, 47 other states&#33;&#33;
People need to get out of their fantasy land and just accept that gay people can actually love eachother enough to want to get married. I just found out that two of my moms friends just got one of them civil union things or something like that. They&#39;re two of the nicest people I know and totally love eachother, theyve been together for at least 10-20 years. I can&#39;t wait until those close-minded old fogeys leave office&#33; That&#39;ll be never though, because they&#39;ll just manipulate some kid to be the same way. Whatever&#33; BLEH&#33;&#33;&#33;

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
"War of northern aggression"? That has GOT to be the most strongly pro-Confederate name for the Civil War I&#39;ve heard in ages.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
News bulletin: the South LOST, so defending bad ideology that hasn&#39;t managed to catch back on in all these years certainly gives an indication of what we&#39;re dealing with here.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, I mean, I just laugh when southerners call it the War between the States, but War of Northern Aggression is getting a bit too PC.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by ChimeraTX@Jun 15 2005, 04:11 PM
I don&#39;t quite know what&#39;s politically correct about it, but it was a joke afterall. :p

Interestingly, a lot of Indians fought for the South.
[post=321026]Quoted post[/post]​
Political correctness just means changing words to fit a particular bias. Hence "homicide bomber", for example. The Left is more famous for it, such as "vertically challeneged" and "womyn".

As for Indians fighting for the South, IIRC they were led by Stand Watie, the last surviving member of the Ridge faction. The Ridge faction was placed in power by the U.S. and sold Cherokee land to the U.S., resulting in forced removal. Watie was the only member of the Ridge faction not assassinated by Cherokee nationalists.

None of which is relevant since I&#39;m not Cherokee.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Jun 16 2005, 12:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Jun 16 2005, 12:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora@Jun 15 2005, 06:58 PM
News bulletin: the South LOST, so defending bad ideology that hasn&#39;t managed to catch back on in all these years certainly gives an indication of what we&#39;re dealing with here.
[post=321018]Quoted post[/post]​

Victory doesn&#39;t imply moral highground. The winners write the history books.
[post=321024]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Oh, I realise that. I was just making mote than neither white supremacy nor slavery had made a comeback except amoung the insane. I don&#39;t believe in the accuracy of reported history at all. I know you believe you can assert moral high ground to the tenets I deem insane, so it&#39;s not likely there&#39;s any value in yet another debate.

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Jun 15 2005, 08:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Jun 15 2005, 08:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jonb@Jun 15 2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I mean, I just laugh when southerners call it the War between the States, but War of Northern Aggression is getting a bit too PC.
[post=321020]Quoted post[/post]​
I don&#39;t quite know what&#39;s politically correct about it, but it was a joke afterall. :p

Interestingly, a lot of Indians fought for the South.
[post=321026]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

WOW&#33; I had no idea they shipped in people from Africa AND India... Golly, the South was sure busy once upon a time...
Why can&#39;t they get together a clean hotel room nowadays?

BA-zing&#33;

But seriously, maybe it&#39;s a really picky personal pet peeve, but India is WAAAY over there, and has nothing to do with America, (save for our modern day convenience stores and donut emporiums,) no matter how badly Christopher Columbus wanted it to. I honestly wonder what people native to India think when they hear Americans going on about Indians... I bet they all feel ripped off, never getting to play with those cowboys they keep hearing so much about...

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Julianna: Most of us say Indian. Or ndn if u = 1 l33t d00d Of course, there are big differences; for one, we&#39;re carnivores.

Jana: Don&#39;t you mean Spanish stupidity? LOL

absinthium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Originally posted by jonb@Jun 16 2005, 03:48 PM
Julianna: Most of us say Indian. Or ndn if u = 1 l33t d00d Of course, there are big differences; for one, we&#39;re carnivores.

Jana: Don&#39;t you mean Spanish stupidity? LOL
[post=321252]Quoted post[/post]​

Indians eat meat, too... Weird meat, like goat, even. (That one has always grossed me out.) Sure, there are vegetarians... I think it&#39;s just most Hindus that refrain from eating beef. And to be a complete bitch about the whole thing, (why not?) unless you eat flesh exclusively, you&#39;re probably an omnivore...

And, to be fair, it&#39;s Americans that carry on the tradition of Spanish stupidity... Although, Columbus was an Italian. So everyone wins.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by absinthium@Jun 16 2005, 08:12 PM
Indians eat meat, too... Weird meat, like goat, even. (That one has always grossed me out.)

Goat is weird? I think I&#39;m insulted as I love me some barbecued goat&#33; Maybe it&#39;s a Carribean thing in my case.

Sure, there are vegetarians... I think it&#39;s just most Hindus that refrain from eating beef.

And Buddhists. Let&#39;s not forget that the Buddha was from India.