Texas military base shootings

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Terrorist? It's a sad day when that's the first thing anyone thinks :confused:

It doesn't seem to have been said but I'm willing to bet a soldier just snapped.

12 dead including the suspect who was a soldier. Two other soldiers are being held as suspects. The FBI is being brought in to assist the army. No names have been released.

Oh dear....

The suspected gunman was identified as Major Malik Nadal Hasan. He was killed and two other suspects have been apprehended, Lt. Robert W. Cone said.

The gunman used two handguns, Cone said. He wasn't sure if the shooter reloaded the weapons during the attack. -ABC News

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh dear....
The suspected gunman was identified as Major Malik Nadal Hasan. He was killed and two other suspects have been apprehended, Lt. Robert W. Cone said.

The gunman used two handguns, Cone said. He wasn't sure if the shooter reloaded the weapons during the attack

"Oh dear..."

Oh dear, WHAT? What precisely are you attempting to say here? Are you insinuating something?

Do explain.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Terrorist? It's a sad day when that's the first thing anyone thinks :confused:

It doesn't seem to have been said but I'm willing to bet a soldier just snapped.

Well, clearly it had to be terrorism, after all the man didn't have one of those generic American names, such as John Smith, Bill Jones, Fred Brown or Harry Harper. Everyone knows that if a man named Malik or Kasim or Udday or even Omar or Habib is involved in something it's clearly got to be terrorist activity. If indeed it turns out to be such (terrorist activity) then that will come out. Of course-and this goes to those who seem to dense to ever get it-there are also many terrorist sorts not sporting Islamic sounding names, just as there are many of us with Islamic sounding names who are not terrorists (although airports haven't gotten that memo yet).

Oh dear, WHAT? What precisely are you attempting to say here? Are you insinuating something?

Do explain.

"Oh dear" for two reasons. If the guy's an al Qaeda sympathizer or operative and second, oh dear if he's not because that's what people are going to think anyway and it's going to reflect badly on Arab-American Muslims.

B_Mister Buildington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What a douchebag. Wouldn't it suck to come home after serving overseas, ready for a nice rest, and some asshole in your own base shoots you?

I'm glad that as it turns out he's still alive. I hope they put electrodes on his nutsack.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He's a recent convert to Islam. Perhaps I was wrong, but I'm not drawing any conclusions based on stereotypes.
I did, and no, I'm not proud of that fact. My first thought was that he was probably an American born man who converted to Islam. :redface: In recent years it seems more 'attacks' are made on US soil by those who convert to Islam than those raised in the faith. No, I am not forgetting Timothy Mc Vey but he was a different brand of crazy.

"Oh dear" for two reasons. If the guy's an al Qaeda sympathizer or operative and second, oh dear if he's not because that's what people are going to think anyway and it's going to reflect badly on Arab-American Muslims.
It's gonna reflect poorly on Muslims in America period. After 9/11 even Sikhs were targeted, bullied, and in some instances murdered just because they didn't "look American." :frown1::mad:

What a douchebag. Wouldn't it suck to come home after serving overseas, ready for a nice rest, and some asshole in your own base shoots you?
I'm glad that as it turns out he's still alive. I hope they put electrodes on his nutsack.
Yes, it would suck. However, the bottom line is 12 people are dead that shouldn't be. No punishment, not even court martial is good enough. Not to the family and friends left to mourn any way. :frown1:

KILLEEN, Texas (Reuters) - An Army psychiatrist opened fire with two handguns at the Fort Hood Army post on Thursday, killing 12 and wounding 31 others, Army officials said, adding the suspect was shot several times but survived. Authorities identified the suspected gunman as Major Nidal Malik Hasan, who had treated soldiers wounded in foreign wars preparing for foreign deployment at the post. "Our investigation is ongoing but preliminary reports indicate that there was a single shooter," Lieutenant-General Robert Cone, Fort Hood's commanding officer, told a news conference. "The shooter is not dead but in custody in stable condition."

Cone said the suspect had been shot multiple times. He had previously said the suspect was killed by police officers during the attack at the biggest military facility in the world. "He's not currently speaking to investigators," Cone said of Hasan. Pressed on the suspect's condition, he said, "I would say his death is not imminent." Asked if the shootings were a terrorist act, Cone said, "I couldn't rule that out but ... the evidence does not suggest that."
The guy was a shrink and he went postal. :confused::eek: Perhaps he realized the futility of his work.:frown1:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, clearly it had to be terrorism, after all the man didn't have one of those generic American names, such as John Smith, Bill Jones, Fred Brown or Harry Harper. Everyone knows that if a man named Malik or Kasim or Udday or even Omar or Habib is involved in something it's clearly got to be terrorist activity. If indeed it turns out to be such (terrorist activity) then that will come out. Of course-and this goes to those who seem to dense to ever get it-there are also many terrorist sorts not sporting Islamic sounding names, just as there are many of us with Islamic sounding names who are not terrorists (although airports haven't gotten that memo yet).

The problem is that that can be a knee-jerk reaction for so many Americans (I'm not even immune to this, although I try hard to be.)

And yes, I know that people with Islamic sounding names are not all terrorists. Not to mention those terrorists with more generic American sounding names (Timothy McVeigh, for instance...)

Yep, because that's exactly what I thought. I don't know that he was an al Qaeda sympathizer, but yes, this is going to reflect really, really badly on American Muslims - despite the fact that this was just one guy who went crazy.

I did, and no, I'm not proud of that fact. My first thought was that he was probably an American born man who converted to Islam. :redface: In recent years it seems more 'attacks' are made on US soil by those who convert to Islam than those raised in the faith. No, I am not forgetting Timothy Mc Vey but he was a different brand of crazy.

It's gonna reflect poorly on Muslims in America period. After 9/11 even Sikhs were targeted, bullied, and in some instances murdered just because they didn't "look American." :frown1::mad:

Yes, it would suck. However, the bottom line is 12 people are dead that shouldn't be. No punishment, not even court martial is good enough. Not to the family and friends left to mourn any way. :frown1:

The guy was a shrink and he went postal. :confused::eek: Perhaps he realized the futility of his work.:frown1:

I did too, and also am not proud of that fact. It's a kind of knee-jerk thing. But at least we realize that it is a knee-jerk reaction and are not proud of having those reactions.

I also thought it odd that he was a psychiatrist! I wonder if we'll ever know the whole story.