Texas miracle?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TomCat84, Aug 4, 2011.

1. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Governor Perry is also one of those conservatives who hold the peculiar interpretation of the first amendment according to which state governments have the right to fund religious events and to institute religious teaching in public schools.

1. Ronald Lindsay, "Rick Perry Is a Lying Demagogue" (Center for Inquiry, July 18, 2011):

2. "The Outlandish Beliefs Of Rick Perry’s Prayer Rally Endorsers" (ThinkProgress, August 3, 2011):
    3. Derek C. Araujo, "Texas Gubernatorial Candidates Weigh In on Intelligent Design, Curriculum Standards" (Center for Inquiry, September 13, 2010):

He also responded to the drought in Texas by instituting a three-day period of prayer for rain:

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think he is DOA. He could win the primaries but I hear that the Powers That Be in the GOP are not convinced that he can win a general election against Obama. Too many negatives. His fundie-rightwing backers are too extreme and have pushed him too far to the right for him to win Ohio or Pennsylvania where elections in the US are won or lost. He is very deep in the pockets of the AFA and will have a hard time convincing enough independents to vote for him.

Also, people have not forgotten what happened last time they let an Governor of Texas have the Presidency. It still hurts.

4. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    More from Governor Rick (reported by Snopes.com, reproduced at Salon.com):
    I tell people, that "personal property" and the ownership of that personal property is crucial to our way of life.
    Our founding fathers understood that it was a very important part of the pursuit of happiness. Being able to own things that are your own is one of the things that makes America unique. But I happen to think that it's in jeopardy.
    It's in jeopardy because of taxes; it's in jeopardy because of regulation; it's in jeopardy because of a legal system that’s run amok. And I think it's time for us to just hand it over to God and say, "God, You’re going to have to fix this." ...
    I think it's time for us to use our wisdom and our influence and really put it in God's hands. That's what I'm going to do, and I hope you'll join me.

5. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Isnt the relevant quote now the parable about the talents? God helps those who help themselves, and this includes setting up a functional government fair to all.

6. eurotop40

Gold Member

As far as I am told Texas is the Viertes Reich, right?

7. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:
    He has shot himself in the foot, in my part of Texas at least, with the way he handled the wildfires.

When and if it comes down to either perry or obama, PERRY will get my vote EVERYTIME.

8. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  9. houtx48

Gold Member

As soon as the bonehead things he has done come to light he'll be toast, on many levels he makes Michele Bachmann look like a Rhodes Scholar. Perry thinks America want another halfwit Texan for President and I say the countries memories is longer than that.

10. houtx48

Gold Member

There is an article on yahoo right now about how the Rickster used a non approved FDA stem dell procedure for his back surgery. They were his own adult stem cells but wait until the fundies get on this.

11. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
  12. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    #12 Calboner, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  13. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Reagan(God Bless his soul) was a Democrat. Then he grew a brain.

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Hmmmm...
    Ronald Reagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Deconstructing Reagan: conservative ... - Google Books

Reagan "switched parties" in 1962, right before the Civil Rights acts were enacted. He's on record agreeing with Goldwater saying that the 1964 Civil Rights Act was a mistake. Plus during his gubernatorial campaign, he decided that anti-discrimination legislation in California, which prevented people from denying someone the ability to purchase or rent a home based on skin color, was wrong based on some convoluted belief regarding property rights. One of his infamous quote - "If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so". And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

One could only wonder how someone who was from California and with no prior hostilities towards black people could do an about face change and become the spokesperson for racially charged conservative white men in just a few years? Is this what we should consider "growing a brain"? From my standpoint, seeing that he no longer had a movie career, Reagan was happy to become a corporate puppet who gave him a second wind (and lots of fame & money to go with it) as long as he adhered to the infamous Southern Strategy. I think I can find better ways to stimulate my cranium. But whatever... "smaller government", "states rights", "personal responsibility", "family values" and all that other political code-worded stuff.

#14 B_VinylBoy, Aug 5, 2011
  15. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    To his credit, Reagan did oppose the Briggs initiative in 1978, which would have banned homosexuals from California's school system.

16. cruztbone

Gold Member

OOOOOHHHHH, another failed governor of Tex-ass as president? maybe he can pray away the sluggish economy the way he is praying successfully for rain !!!

17. chicagosam

Gold Member

Yet another rocket scientist as governor in Texas:

Rick Perry's College Transcript: A Lot Of Cs And Ds

#17 chicagosam, Aug 5, 2011
  18. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    Oh Enzia -- considering he ended up with Altzheimers THIS is not a very good analogy!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    I hate to tell you guys this --- but a lot of this religious rhetoric plays VERY big not only in Texas but in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia (at least the rural parts of it), South and North Carolina -- etc. It usually doesn't do well in the Northeast where those rock-ribbed Congregationalists just don't TALK like this about God!! Yet another real chasm in our national life.......just what role DOES/SHOULD religion play in our national politics and our choosing of a leader?

This is being soooooooo hyped up by the Religious Right wing right now because they think Obama is a closet Muslim and that preventing Muslims from having any role in the future of America needs to be surpressed because it's not a "true" religion.

That said: There are SOME Christians who would put the Jehovah's Witnesses, Unitarians AND the Mormons in that same category. They are JUST not true expressions of orthodox Christianity!

20. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

The Texas Governor is another GOP liability. Easily shown as an extremist, easily attacked on questionable financial tactics to cover rather than solve problems. Easily attacked on his religious viewpoints, and the list goes on and on. The good Governor is already in trouble by virtue of how he balanced his State budget. I live in NM next door. He did not raise taxes to balance the budget, he just made certain that everyone down the line had to do it so that he wouldn't get the blame.

Texas has no State Income Tax and is low on some things in taxation. Everything you save on the few lower items you will spend and then some on property taxes. On this Texas is considerably higher with rates nearly double that of California. I looked at a $300,000 home in Canutillo near El Paso and stopped looking at Texas when I found that the owner was paying over $10,000 per year in property taxes! The local papers based on Perry's current deal have already talked of more and very large property tax hikes to pay for what Perry cut from local governments.

Draft saved Draft deleted