Texas politics

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Numbers don't lie. El Paso Fire Department crowd estimates:: Trump: 6,500 Beto O'Rourke: 10,000 - 15,000

Their rallies were both about the same size. They only let 6500 into Trump's arena, but there were several thousand more outside watching on monitors.

Trump did repeat some right wing blogger's dumbass claims that Beto's rally only had 35 ppl at it. If someone in a red had said it, it must be true!

Reactions: keenobserver

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
O’Rourke meets with Schumer to discuss 2020 Senate bid

FSlEfg5.gif

OF4xP.gif

7524jhl.gif

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Thikn2velvet1

Admired Member
Media

Perusing numerous assorted pictures of the O’rourke rally, it looks to be about 1000-1500, no matter what the police say. A lot more than 300 but far fewer than the Trump rally.

Lots of Mexican flags and very few American flags at Beto’s rally isn’t good optics.

However isn’t it awkwardly bizarre to parse crowd numbers for rallies? Thats what we are doing and I am guilty of it.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Perusing numerous assorted pictures of the O’rourke rally, it looks to be about 1000-1500, no matter what the police say. A lot more than 300 but far fewer than the Trump rally.

Lots of Mexican flags and very few American flags at Beto’s rally isn’t good optics.

However isn’t it awkwardly bizarre to parse crowd numbers for rallies? Thats what we are doing and I am guilty of it.
El Paso Fire Chief must be a liar as well.
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 12.28.11 PM.png

Reactions: b.c. and MisterB

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Reactions: b.c. and MisterB

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

PS. This is our state Capitol building. See that 3rd seal from the left, that's Mexico.

I trust you have some basic familiarity with the "Six Flags" amusement park chain? It originated here in Texas and it's the same six flags... 3rd one is Mexico.

Texas is part of the United States, but it has not always been. Our state has a pretty diverse history. Trump's doing his best to sow division (and you are helping him on that), but it is not considered insulting to fly the Mexican flag here, this state was once part of Mexico and a very sizable portion of its citizens, Democrat and Republican alike, can trace their heritage back to that country.

Maybe a little more effort in educating yourself and a little less parroting what those right wing nutty blogs tell you to think.

1280px-Six_Flags_over_Texas_Emblems_under_State_Capitol_Dome.jpg

Thikn2velvet1

Admired Member
Media
PS. This is our state Capitol building. See that 3rd seal from the left, that's Mexico.

I trust you have some basic familiarity with the "Six Flags" amusement park chain? It originated here in Texas and it's the same six flags... 3rd one is Mexico.

Texas is part of the United States, but it has not always been. Our state has a pretty diverse history. Trump's doing his best to sow division (and you are helping him on that), but it is not considered insulting to fly the Mexican flag here, this state was once part of Mexico and a very sizable portion of its citizens, Democrat and Republican alike, can trace their heritage back to that country.

Maybe a little more effort in educating yourself and a little less parroting what those right wing nutty blogs tell you to think.

To each his own. I know the history of Texas precisely, but flying and waving the Mexican flag at a rally for a potential candidate for President of the United States is bad optics. Now for a local office, maybe mayor or statewide office the Mexican flag may be acceptable but for a nationwide office it looks bad.

You need to read more perhaps?

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Beto O'Rourke received 151,482 votes from El Paso alone just 3 months ago (Donald Trump only received 54,567 from El Paso in 2016)

He received 4,045,632 from Texas as a whole.

And you are convinced in your assessment that he only had 1,000 to 1,500 people at his rally despite what police have to say?

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To each his own. I know the history of Texas precisely, but flying and waving the Mexican flag at a rally for a potential candidate for President of the United States is bad optics. Now for a local office, maybe mayor or statewide office the Mexican flag may be acceptable but for a nationwide office it looks bad.

You need to read more perhaps?

lol, a what?

It was a rally for opposition to a border wall and in celebration of the city of El Paso.

Thikn2velvet1

Admired Member
Media

Trace their heritage back to what? 1848? My grandparents came from Europe but I don’t fly their flag. Oregon was once Russian.

Lots of folks can trace their heritage back to Ireland and they fly an Irish flag on St Paddy’s day only but if you want to cause division, fly a Mexican flag routinely and speak only Spanish.

Thikn2velvet1

Admired Member
Media
Beto O'Rourke received 151,482 votes from El Paso alone just 3 months ago (Donald Trump only received 54,567 from El Paso in 2016)

He received 4,045,632 from Texas as a whole.

And you are convinced in your assessment that he only had 1,000 to 1,500 people at his rally despite what police have to say?

Show me a pic with a crowd of 6000 and I absolutely will reconsider. Contrary to you, if I am presented with facts I will retract but the pics I saw show about 1000-1500.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Trace their heritage back to what? 1848? My grandparents came from Europe but I don’t fly their flag. Oregon was once Russian.

Lots of folks can trace their heritage back to Ireland and they fly an Irish flag on St Paddy’s day only but if you want to cause division, fly a Mexican flag routinely and speak only Spanish.

Where? Fuckin Idaho? What the fuck do I care about some cousin-fucker's opinion of the language I speak at home?

30% of this state speaks Spanish in the home. Most of those households can speak English as well and it tends to be generational (I have neighbors who can't speak English but their kids can).

If some conservative snowflake is going to get offended that someone speaks something other than English I can't help them.

Thikn2velvet1

Admired Member
Media
lol, a what?

It was a rally for opposition to a border wall and in celebration of the city of El Paso.

Maybe you are that dense. A border wall is a NATIONAL ISSUE, not local politics. I am being quite fair here, I have no problem with Mexican flags in local politics, but the optics of a national issue are bad.

Try again.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe you are that dense. A border wall is a NATIONAL ISSUE, not local politics. I am being quite fair here, I have no problem with Mexican flags in local politics, but the optics of a national issue are bad.

Try again.

Okay, and I don't care about how easily offended you are, so we're at an impasse.

Thikn2velvet1

Admired Member
Media
Where? Fuckin Idaho? What the fuck do I care about some cousin-fucker's opinion of the language I speak at home?

30% of this state speaks Spanish in the home. Most of those households can speak English as well and it tends to be generational (I have neighbors who can't speak English but their kids can).

If some conservative snowflake is going to get offended that someone speaks something other than English I can't help them.

Oh, now who is being bigoted and prejudiced?

Got you. Feels good too.

Thikn2velvet1

Admired Member
Media
Okay, and I don't care about how easily offended you are, so we're at an impasse.

What a loser. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit but bigotry is. I haven’t taken offense to anything, I just said flying a Mexican flag at a rally on a topic with national import is bad optics. And I questioned the crowd size with the caveat that I would re assess with more accurate pictures. That seems rather fair and balanced.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What a loser. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit but bigotry is. I haven’t taken offense to anything, I just said flying a Mexican flag at a rally on a topic with national import is bad optics.

bad optics is an opinion. It's bad optics to you as someone who at least sympathizes with the conservative agenda.

As a Texan, seeing Mexican flags in El Paso, a city which is part of the Juarez-El Paso bi-national Metroplex... a city which used to be on the southern side of the Rio Grande river until it changed course... in a city and state where a lot of people have friends and family in the same country which is being demonized by right wing media outlets... the optics are pretty normal.

And I questioned the crowd size with the caveat that I would re assess with more accurate pictures. That seems rather fair and balanced.

It was a nighttime rally and drones were not allowed in the air because of the president's visit. I do not have any overhead photos to clearly illustrate for you the crowd size. I am happy to accept that the police estimates were somewhere around their ballpark estimates, but not to the tune of being 90% lower than their low-end estimate just because someone on the internet can't make out the pictures very well.