Texas politics

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So... sadly, an old woman in Texas got killed by feral hogs yesterday.

I would advise staying clear of any Texas specific message boards for the next few days, omg. You'd think it was 9/11 all over again :p

Given the combination of old women and feral hogs in Texas the potential is certainly there for that scale, for sure.

Reactions: Massivecool11

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
2020 around the corner so things are starting to light up.

I'll start with dessert first... good lord...

TEXAS REPUBLICAN SAYS HIS OPPONENTS ARE RUNNING AGAINST HIM BECAUSE THEY'RE 'ASIAN'

"He's a Korean. He has decided because, because he is an Asian that my district might need an Asian to win. And that's kind of racist in my mind, but anyway, that's not necessary, at least not yet," said Miller, describing former Fort Bend GOP Chairman Jetton.

You heard that one right, folks. GOP logic at its finest... his Democratic party opponent is racist because he's Korean American challenging a white man for his house seat :p You can't make this shit up.

Speaking of house seats...

Democrat Beto O’Rourke turns his attention to flipping the Texas House

A month after ending his presidential campaign, Democrat Beto O’Rourke has turned his attention to state politics — namely, an effort to help flip the Texas House of Representatives from Republican control to the Democrats.

With Texas Democrats nine seats away from retaking the majority of seats in the Texas House, O’Rourke is trying to convince his donor base to send money to an organization called Flip The Texas House, which has targeted 17 House Districts in which Republican candidates won by fewer than 10 percentage points last year. More than half are districts in which O’Rourke won the majority of votes as he ran for U.S. Senate.

So Texas Dem party is really getting its act together since Beto's run and is taking to heart that state politics matter. Rick miller from the article above is one of the 17 districts that's being targetted.

Speaking of Rick miller...

Rep. Rick Miller won’t seek re-election, apologizes for comment about ‘Asian’ candidates

AUSTIN — State Rep. D.F. “Rick” Miller of Sugar Land dropped his re-election bid on Tuesday as fellow Republicans rebuked him for saying that two GOP candidates are running against him in the primary because they’re “Asian.”

LOL

Sorry, wasn't trying to be weird and double-post about this guy, like I said, news cycle is hopping and both of these articles went up just yesterday. News be movin fast!

Anyways, speakin of Beto (and Julian Castro)

No article to link cuz it's behind a paywall, but the deadline to file for 2020 Texas senate race is Dec 9th. There's a lot of "buzz" right now cuz people feel the Dem senate primary roster is too weak to unseat Cornyn. MJ Hegar's at the top of the pack, but the sentiment is that none of the candidates, Hegar included, has anywhere near as good a ground game as O'Rourke had (If you take all 10 primary candidates together, as a group, they still haven't visited as many counties in TX as Beto had by himself by this point in 2017).

So people are wanting either Beto or Julian to jump into the fray before the deadline closes. 5 days to go to see if that happens (hence my soup sippin).

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rick miller from the article above is one of the 17 districts that's being targetted.

Here's all 17 of 'em... I just happen to live in one of these, by the way (as does virtually everyone who lives in a suburb of Fort Worth) ;)

For the most part they're suburbs of the big cities trying to cast off the bias of their 2010 redistricting assumptions as the cities have grown over the past 10 years. Go go go!

img.jpg

Reactions: keenobserver
D

deleted15807

For three years now, Texas Republicans have been taking on water. In 2016, Donald Trump won the state by nine points — a seven-point decline from Mitt Romney’s 16-point margin four years earlier. In 2018, Beto O’Rourke came within three points of winning a Senate seat, and other down-ballot Democrats got unusually close to winning statewide offices. And over the past couple of weeks, Texas Republicans have lost some of their most valuable politicians. Reps. Will Hurd, Kenny Marchant, K. Michael Conaway and Pete Olson all announced their retirement from the House. Hurd is the GOP’s only African American House member, and three of those four congressmen (Hurd, Marchant, Olson) leave flippable suburban seats open.

Now Democrats are crossing their fingers about finally turning Texas blue, or at least purple, in 2020. Turning Texas blue in the medium-term isn’t a pipe dream — the Trump-era GOP doesn’t play as well as the George W. Bush-era one did in an urbanized, diverse state such as Texas. But turning Texas truly purple by 2020 is still a big lift. Democrats should probably think of it more as possible icing on the cake rather than a core part of their strategy in the next election.

==

But turning Texas purple by 2020 would be difficult. Texas’s baseline partisanship is 11 percentage points more Republican than the nation — Trump won it by nine points while he lost the popular vote by two. So it would take an 11-point jump to make it a truly purple state that perfectly reflected the nation’s partisan divide.

Blue Texas is a Democratic dream. Shifting left is a reality.
Republicans should worry about Hispanics in Texas. There are as many Hispanics in Texas as there are non-Hispanic whites. And soon there will be more. Republicans only control Texas now because Hispanics are less likely to register and less likely to vote. If Texas Hispanics finally realize just what a threat Republicans are to them and register and vote Democratic Texas Republicans will be swept from power even as they were in California. And it can be done in one election, although two may be more realistic. It is estimated non-Hispanic whites will be down to 35% of the population of Texas by 2025. The handwriting is on the wall for Republicans. And if they lose Texas there will never be another Republican president.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
H-E-B is No. 1 U.S. grocery chain, new data study says

AUSTIN (KXAN) — On Wednesday, national data science firm dunnhumby ranked Texas-based H-E-B as the No. 1 grocer in the U.S. for the first time.

According to dunnhumby, H-E-B topped its list which ranked the grocers based on the annual Retailer Preference Index, or RPI. The index evaluates retailers based on several factors, including price, quality, convenience and speed.

phonehome

Superior Member
Media
H-E-B is No. 1 U.S. grocery chain, new data study says

AUSTIN (KXAN) — On Wednesday, national data science firm dunnhumby ranked Texas-based H-E-B as the No. 1 grocer in the U.S. for the first time.

According to dunnhumby, H-E-B topped its list which ranked the grocers based on the annual Retailer Preference Index, or RPI. The index evaluates retailers based on several factors, including price, quality, convenience and speed.

Funny

For being a supposed "national chain" I have never even heard of them much less even seen one of their stores so I could have shopped in one if I had

We have Sams, Walmart and Publix in my area and Aldi I have heard of and back in the day when I live in IL shopped at Jewel which they absorbed years ago

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Funny

For being a supposed "national chain" I have never even heard of them much less even seen one of their stores so I could have shopped in one if I had

We have Sams, Walmart and Publix in my area and Aldi I have heard of and back in the day when I live in IL shopped at Jewel which they absorbed years ago

H-E-B isn't a national chain, it's regional.

And even within the region there's holes. In particular, Dallas-Ft Worth does not have any H-E-Bs :p

That said, I did have the opportunity to shop at one when vacationing in San Antonio and it's awesome. Deli had the best sushi I ever had :)

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Every Catholic bishop in Texas is slamming Gov. Abbott's decision to bar refugees
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me” Matthew 25:35

By Daniel Burke, CNN Religion Editor

Updated 8:58 PM ET, Mon January 13, 2020
Every Catholic bishop in Texas is slamming Gov. Abbott's decision to bar refugees - CNN

Yeah, more than just Catholics too.

Christian groups speak out as Texas Gov. Abbott refuses to resettle refugees in 2020

Question is do Evangelicals really care enough to express their dissent with their votes or not. Letters are nice, but I haven't even seen any protests over this yet (it was only announced a few days ago).

Texas just became the first state to shut the door on refugees
It used to welcome more refugees than any other state.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, more than just Catholics too.

Christian groups speak out as Texas Gov. Abbott refuses to resettle refugees in 2020

Question is do Evangelicals really care enough to express their dissent with their votes or not. Letters are nice, but I haven't even seen any protests over this yet (it was only announced a few days ago).

Texas just became the first state to shut the door on refugees
It used to welcome more refugees than any other state.
Evangelicals are not a monolith. Mr Trump has surrounded himself with Evangelical Leaders who are all part of the "Prosperity Gospel." Even some evangelicals consider the Prosperity Gospel to be a cult.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Federal judge blocks policy that allowed Gov. Greg Abbott to ban refugees in Texas
The decision comes just days after the Texas governor became the first state leader to opt out of the program. The move drew a harsh rebuke from the Texas' Catholic bishops.

"By giving States and Local governments the power to veto where refugees maybe settled — in the face of clear statutory text and structure, purpose, Congressional intent, executive practice, judicial holdings, and Constitutional doctrine to the contrary — [the order] does not appear to serve the overall public interest," Messitte said in his ruling.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well can you blame them? All those people from shithole countriess. Where are those Norwegians Trumps wants?
I had a friend call me a couple of days ago needing someone to go with her to her immigration lawyer. Her Green Card expired and she needs to renew it but she is afraid of Trump's stance on immigrants. I told her that since she is from Sweden she is one of Trump's preferred so she's in the clear.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I had a friend call me a couple of days ago needing someone to go with her to her immigration lawyer. Her Green Card expired and she needs to renew it but she is afraid of Trump's stance on immigrants. I told her that since she is from Sweden she is one of Trump's preferred so she's in the clear.

We need Swedes!

ftcms%3A68cb1de8-cbdd-11e8-8d0b-a6539b949662

Reactions: StormfrontFL

kidfresh512

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just got back from voting for Elizabeth in my district for the runoff. Beto has been really visible stumping for her and using the resources and network he has left here to get the word out and really grassroots door to door calling, texting letting everyone know when the election is and early voting.

Runoffs are not high profile high turnout usually but hopefully we can do it.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Beto and Ted both following their bliss

The fallout from 2018 still resonating in 2020.

No candidates of yet that I'm more excited about this election year than I was about Beto about 2 years ago, but I'm even more committed to get out and vote.

2 weeks till early voting starts!