Texas politics

kidfresh512

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah I just read it from his Facebook link.

Seriously can you even imagine trump writing anything this thoughtful and insightful, or reflective? Anytime I read or listen to Beto or Obama now Its such a severe and perverse difference from the lack of intelligence and cogent thought we get from trump.

Reactions: MisterB

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yeah I just read it from his Facebook link.

Seriously can you even imagine trump writing anything this thoughtful and insightful, or reflective? Anytime I read or listen to Beto or Obama now Its such a severe and perverse difference from the lack of intelligence and cogent thought we get from trump.

What the hell are you talking about? O'Rourke may have good words, but he doesn't have the *best* words!

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Beto O'Rourke on Twitter

There are people who say with some degree of derision that people fall for Beto because he reminds them of a Kennedy.

I watched this Netflix doc about Bobby Kennedy's political career sometime back and I have to say that it doesn't feel like an unfair comparison for people to make. Throughout his Senate campaign, and his time after, he's spent a lot of time trying to raise awareness and call attention to the needs of underserved communities, particularly asylum seekers and veterans.

It's not surprising to me that Beto's spending his Christmas Eve helping people who've just been released from ICE detention while Trump is spending his Christmas Eve ranting angrily on Twittter.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Beto O'Rourke on Twitter

There are people who say with some degree of derision that people fall for Beto because he reminds them of a Kennedy.

I watched this Netflix doc about Bobby Kennedy's political career sometime back and I have to say that it doesn't feel like an unfair comparison for people to make. Throughout his Senate campaign, and his time after, he's spent a lot of time trying to raise awareness and call attention to the needs of underserved communities, particularly asylum seekers and veterans.

It's not surprising to me that Beto's spending his Christmas Eve helping people who've just been released from ICE detention while Trump is spending his Christmas Eve ranting angrily on Twittter.

Just some additional local reporting about this in case anyone wants some more background.

Hundreds of Asylum Seekers Being Released on El Paso Streets Over Christmas
Immigration authorities dropped busloads of immigrants at Greyhound bus station without warning to local officials despite promises to do so.

Reactions: keenobserver

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Seriously, Merry Christmas y'all...

Trump's message on Christmas Day: 'It's a disgrace'

In President Donald Trump's Christmas Day telling, the drugs are flowing over the border, the Federal Reserve is imperiling the economy and the Democrats are preparing to harass him with oversight requests.

"It's a disgrace, what's happening in our country," Trump fumed, seated behind the Resolute Desk on Tuesday, after decrying Democrats as hypocrites and recalling -- unprompted -- his firing of former FBI Director James Comey.

"But other than that," he said, his hands gesturing outward, "I wish everybody a very merry Christmas."

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
@Industrialsize

2pswas.jpg

Since I very first became aware of him, Beto has felt like an excellent state politician. I've had confidence he could win the Democratic nomination for president, but I've been uncertain about how he would perform in a general election because his areas of expertise are pretty focused on Texas. I know little of his foreign policy views, I don't know what his plans would be for trying to stabilize or revitalize manufacturing, etc.

But man, does Beto know the border. Born and raised in El Paso, he's lived in one of the USA's busiest border towns his entire life. Prior to his time in the House of Representatives, he served on the El Paso city council. He's intimately familiar with the border and how our relationship is and can be with our geographic neighbors as well as the issues related to those desperate to come here to the states.

And that circles us back to Donald Trump.

In a normal campaign cycle, immigration and border security might be one of the issues that gets discussed on the campaign trail, but it in my recollection it's never been THE issue. There were other issues like terrorism and the economy that were front and center. But in Trump's race baiting and fear mongering, he's forcing border security to the top of the news cycle. He's shut down the fucking government over it. And in doing so he's set up and continues to strengthen the framework of an ideological battle about the best way to manage the border between himself and Beto O'Rourke.

In the weeks approaching Christmas, Beto has been very active at the border (in the activism sense). I've linked some of the articles above, but there are others if you google them such as this

Beto O'Rourke and other Democrats urge public to keep Tornillo migrant facility in spotlight
The population at the detention center for migrant children has quietly swelled from a few hundred to about 2,800 in about six months.

And it's now at the point where I click on the local morning news and there is a block of programming time carved out to address issues at the border (especially with the second death of a minor in border patrol custody) and when they do the commonplace thing of presenting both sides of the issue, it's become Trump -vs- Beto. There were a couple minutes of Beto and his calls for compassion and charity, followed immediately buy a couple minutes of Trump shutting down the government to get his wall.

The election is still nearly two years away. A lot can change between now and then. But right now, Trump and his mentally unhinged handling of the border is playing directly to one of Beto's greatest strengths and day by day is building a case that above and beyond being one of the straight up nicest guys on the field right now, Beto O'Rourke is the one who's best positioned at this point in history to take Trump on.

4608.jpg
Donald-Trump-1.jpg

p.s. To the confused national media outlets, it's never been about the skateboarding or the laundry, ffs.

Last edited:

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Border patrol chief wants more help from Congress after 2nd migrant child dies in custody

(CNN)What used to be an "extraordinarily rare occurrence" has already happened twice this month -- the death of a child in the custody of US border officials.

Guatemalan boy dies in US custody on Christmas Eve

Now the head of Customs and Border Protection is reiterating calls for Congress to provide more funding to handle the influx of migrants crossing the border.

"I've explained to Congress ... that what we're seeing with these flows, of huge numbers of families with lots of children, young children, as well as unaccompanied minors coming into Border Patrol custody after crossing the border unlawfully, that our stations are not built for that group that's crossing today," CBP Commissioner Kevin K. McAleenan told "CBS This Morning" on Wednesday.

"They were built 30 to 40 years ago for single adult males, and we need a different approach. We need help from Congress. We need to budget for medical care and mental health care for children in our facilities."

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
@Industrialsize

2pswas.jpg

Since I very first became aware of him, Beto has felt like an excellent state politician. I've had confidence he could win the Democratic nomination for president, but I've been uncertain about how he would perform in a general election because his areas of expertise are pretty focused on Texas. I know little of his foreign policy views, I don't know what his plans would be for trying to stabilize or revitalize manufacturing, etc.

But man, does Beto know the border. Born and raised in El Paso, he's lived in one of the USA's busiest border towns his entire life. Prior to his time in the House of Representatives, he served on the El Paso city council. He's intimately familiar with the border and how our relationship is and can be with our geographic neighbors as well as the issues related to those desperate to come here to the states.

And that circles us back to Donald Trump.

In a normal campaign cycle, immigration and border security might be one of the issues that gets discussed on the campaign trail, but it in my recollection it's never been THE issue. There were other issues like terrorism and the economy that were front and center. But in Trump's race baiting and fear mongering, he's forcing border security to the top of the news cycle. He's shut down the fucking government over it. And in doing so he's set up and continues to strengthen the framework of an ideological battle about the best way to manage the border between himself and Beto O'Rourke.

In the weeks approaching Christmas, Beto has been very active at the border (in the activism sense). I've linked some of the articles above, but there are others if you google them such as this

Beto O'Rourke and other Democrats urge public to keep Tornillo migrant facility in spotlight
The population at the detention center for migrant children has quietly swelled from a few hundred to about 2,800 in about six months.

And it's now at the point where I click on the local morning news and there is a block of programming time carved out to address issues at the border (especially with the second death of a minor in border patrol custody) and when they do the commonplace thing of presenting both sides of the issue, it's become Trump -vs- Beto. There were a couple minutes of Beto and his calls for compassion and charity, followed immediately buy a couple minutes of Trump shutting down the government to get his wall.

The election is still nearly two years away. A lot can change between now and then. But right now, Trump and his mentally unhinged handling of the border is playing directly to one of Beto's greatest strengths and day by day is building a case that above and beyond being one of the straight up nicest guys on the field right now, Beto O'Rourke is the one who's best positioned at this point in history to take Trump on.

4608.jpg
Donald-Trump-1.jpg

p.s. To the confused national media outlets, it's never been about the skateboarding or the laundry, ffs.

While the Bernie brothers are losing their shit because Beto O'rourke received 0.4% of his donations from individuals who work in the oil & gas industries, the congressman from El Paso continues to tackle what Donald Trump is turning into the most pressing issue of the day.

(Watch) Beto O’Rourke Demolishes Trump’s Wall in 48 Seconds with Viral Video

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While the Bernie brothers are losing their shit because Beto O'rourke received 0.4% of his donations from individuals who work in the oil & gas industries, the congressman from El Paso continues to tackle what Donald Trump is turning into the most pressing issue of the day.

(Watch) Beto O’Rourke Demolishes Trump’s Wall in 48 Seconds with Viral Video

Beto has a second vid up on his twitter about the wall.

I dunno how to embed Twitter video here at all (if it's even possible), but you can watch it here: https://twitter.com/betoorourke?lang=en

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Donny Trump sat on a wall, Donny Trump had a great fall.............all of Dons minions, all of Don's friends, could not put Don together again.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Influential Texas GOP Activist Says He’s a ‘White Nationalist’ and ‘Proud of it’

Ray Myers, a right-wing activist who helped draft the Texas GOP platform for 2018, proudly declared himself to be a white nationalist in a post on his Facebook page last week.

The term “white nationalism” refers to the explicit pursuit of leveraging powers of the state to legally enforce a white supermajority in a country, most often through the use of extreme immigration policies and federal targeting of non-white citizens.

With vote on removal of Muslim leader looming, Tarrant County GOP to hear from anti-Islam speaker

Members of the Tarrant County Republican Party are preparing to host an anti-Muslim speaker just weeks before the local party's leaders vote on the removal of a Muslim vice chairman from his post.

Texan offers $500 for names of 49 people who voted to oust Muslim from Tarrant County GOP leadership

A McAllen man is offering a $500 reward to anyone who can provide him with the names of the 49 people who voted last week to remove Tarrant County GOP vice chairman Shahid Shafi from his position.

George Rice, 36, is a member of the Hidalgo County Young Republicans. He said he plans to make the list public so people know what their representatives believe.

“The majority of us don’t feel this way,” Rice said. “I can’t stress enough that we’re mostly liberty-minded conservatives — personal freedom trumps everything else.”

So the vote was held, and they voted to keep Shafi as vice chairman, but roughly 30% of Tarrant county GOP leadership voted to remove him for being Muslim. The vote was behind closed doors so no one knows which precinct heads voted to expel him.

So now one of the other TX county GOP is offering money for someone in Tarrant GOP to leak the votes.

Behind it all is a very valid concern that this Trumpian hate rhetoric is going to come back and bite the TX GOP as a whole in the ass in 2020 and beyond because every Dem will be using it as an example of how bigoted they are.

Trump inspired hate FTW.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

kidfresh512

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Trump out here tweeting that bogus voter fraud in Texas story like its true because Fox and Friends talked about it. He is literally the source of fake news spreading.

Texas tribune had to fact check and clarify.

You might be seeing headlines or tweets tonight that claim Texas says 58,000 non-citizens have voted in Texas.

That is not true.

That is not what the state has said.

Texas officials flag tens of thousands of voters for citizenship checks

His base wont dig into the facts they will go by Fox and Friends version, and the tweet from Trump and claim rampant illegal voter fraud.

When the real story is these people were flagged because at SOME point in 20+ years when they got their ID they were possibly not citizens. Obviously in all that time they could easily have become citizens. It also isn't saying they always vote and it isn't taking into account that names in the database are accurate.

Texas Tribune on Twitter

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Trump out here tweeting that bogus voter fraud in Texas story like its true because Fox and Friends talked about it. He is literally the source of fake news spreading.

You might be seeing headlines or tweets tonight that claim Texas says 58,000 non-citizens have voted in Texas.

That is not true.

His base wont dig into the facts they will go by Fox and Friends version, and the tweet from Trump and claim rampant illegal voter fraud.

When the real story is these people were flagged because at SOME point in 20+ years when they got their ID they were possibly not citizens. Obviously in all that time they could easily have become citizens. It also isn't saying they always vote and it isn't taking into account that names in the database are accurate.

Texas Tribune on Twitter

Thank you!

Fred90

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That is not true.

Texas Tribune on Twitter

Thanks for the information. I hope that claim about non-citizens isn't true. Those who support democracy should support fair elections.

Fred90

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay