Text or Verbal Communication?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by OhWiseOne, Jan 18, 2012.

1. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Txting is a popular form of communication / discussion. Some of the reasons: its quicker than a phone call, you can put more thought into your response, it's easier than face to face confrontation, I can multitask using txt......

Is txting becoming the norm? Are we more comfortable in that environment? At times do you reach to txt someone rather than call?

The point to my thoughts are. Are we loosing the ability to communicate one on one, face to face? Do people feel more at ease utilizing the world of txting?

I know to many questions. Please txt your thoughts.

2. D_Kitten_Kaboodle

D_Kitten_Kaboodle Account Disabled

Not a fan of texting.. maybe it is my age... am sure that's part of it.

I much rather prefer verbal communication, because so much of the message is lost or miscommunicated in a text. The receiving person cannot hear the inflection and tone of the words, and may confuse a simple yes or no answer and respond "what's wrong, why are you mad?" When all you were doing was answering the question short (b/c texting is difficult for some).

I do believe as a society... we are moving away from face to face communication and that is sad. I also think (IMO) that b/c of texting, relationships have become more difficult instead of easier. Sure you can communicate more often... but, then ... is getting 150 texts a day really good for a relationship? And even a "sexting" message loses warmth and feeling.

And don't even get me started on how easy it is to text and drive..... as I am recovering from a blow from behind from a lady who was obviously texting (or otherwise preoccupied) to the extent that she never looked up... to see my turn signal... to see me stop at least 1/4 mile ahead of her.... did not apply brakes... just hit me full on... Oh yeah, she was paying attention to what she was doing. Texting when used correctly (for short, emergency type messages) is a good thing... but when used inappropriately has resulted in bad feelings, misunderstandings, accidents, and even death.

I wanna hear you say your words to me...I want to feel the emotion of the words as they are delivered. (I say, as I sit and type this into my faceless, emotionless
    computer)

3. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

I rarely text. I find it impersonal and a bit silly.

4. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I hate texting.

If I have to communicate with someone, I'd rather do it verbally. Regardless of it it's over the phone, or face to face.

5. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I get tons of texts from my subs, even project managers sometimes. It keeps me in touch, and a lot of times they just don't want to talk to me. If it's bad news I'll always follow up with a phone call.

6. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Texting costs money, has limits and my fingers are too big for the buttons - I'll stick with letter-writing by candlelight.

7. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I text way more than I phone. It's generally about meeting up with people anyway, no point having a conversation in that case.

8. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Texting. To me it's just like writing my thoughts. I prefer writing my emotions down and texting is a branch off of that. Face to face is hard for me because of how I was conditioned as a child to be seen and not heard so writing was all I had. Face to face is also hard because of an apparent wall I have up, I don't want you to see the emotion on my face if something hurts me.

Texting is okay for me. I like writing letters and stories. I'm working on my face to face interactions more and learning how to get away from the introvert in me.

9. bimetaldude

bimetaldude Member

Albums:
    i am in a long distance relationship and my bf and i primarily communicate daily with texts. and then in the week on yahoo cam.

10. dude_007

Gold Member

I text way more than phone

11. Redwyvre

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have several customers who prefer communicating via text messaging. No doubt it is the most efficient way to communicate a small order or short message. It is illegal to text and drive where I live. I tried reading a text once while I was driving and almost caused an accident. Isn't worth it. Besides my eyes just won't adjust that fast anymore. Personally, I think texting enhances communication. I love getting texts from my friends and family. It is like passing a note in class or reading a note left on the fridg. Maybe that is why I can't seem to text in the new text messaging language.
    Finally, sure "some" people seem to love their smart phones too much. I sometimes wonder what's going on when I'm in a restaurant and I see a table where everyone is looking at their smartphones and hardly talking to one another. Then again who am I to judge.

12. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Was at a restaurant recently and it is true two people at the table spent more time focusing on their phone then the other person.

13. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like text messages. I don't really like talking on the phone typically. I haven't ever really liked using the phone, even prior to having a cell/mobile so I sent emails instead. If I get excited or flustered or angry, it's much easier for me to convey my thoughts via writing than verbally (sometimes).

I don't tend to shorten my words to abbreviations when I text, either. I use punctuation and type each word completely. For me, it's easier when I've already had plans to meat someone and I send a text saying "The bus was late, I'll be there in a half hour instead of 10 minutes" versus calling them and saying the exact same thing. About the only times I talk on the phone are for business/professional purposes OR ... if I'm with someone/interested in someone. Then I'll take for crazy amounts >_>

14. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Off topic but my other thoughts if she wasn't texting are: yelling at her kids, applying make-up?
    Turn your cam on and maybe it will seem more personal. :smile:
    Hope you're feeling better and enjoying the puppy. Poop / pee alert....:eek:

15. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    I have a very strong aversion to talking on the phone unless it's a necessity. There's a few exceptions, people I really enjoy talking to and can talk to for hours. Otherwise, I text message whatever it is I need to say to an individual because this allows me to avoid speaking on the phone.

16. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I don't like to text. I usually only do it if I call a friend and they are not there and don't respond to the voicemail. Sometimes it does come in useful if you want to relay a quick message or question. I don't use it for conversations like some people do, plus my phone doesn't have a keyboard so I have to use the number pad and it's a pain in the ass.

Yesterday I was out and as I was approaching an intersection I slowed down for the red light. I see a guy on a bicycle looking at me to make sure I saw him as he drove in front of me and through the sidewalk. Then when he gets across the road he starts texting like an asshole. All it takes is one person coming out of a parking lot to take him out.

17. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i prefer text.

that way i can talk and get shit done. plus texting is usually a pretty shallow conversation, so when we do hang out we actually have something to talk about. i mean why meet face to face if i already know everything you have to say because we just spent 4 days on the phone?

oh and it gives me a second chance to make sure i havent said anything stupid.

18. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:

Rather like asking, "Air or Water?"

19. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Um, texting IS verbal communication.

20. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo