Thank a Military Veteran

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by hung, Nov 10, 2007.

1. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    No matter what country you live in, it is always appropriate to "Thank those Heroes who allow you, yes, you and I to enjoy our life."

2. Knight Attrition

Knight Attrition New Member

Good advice

3. modulo

modulo New Member

To our U.S. veterans and those currently serving around the world, thank all of you for your service to our country!

4. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hear, hear!

5. viking1

Gold Member

Yes, definitely! THANK YOU to all our veterans... :smile::smile::smile::smile:

My Grandfather was in WWI. My Father, and many of his brothers were in WWII. They are gone now, but not forgotten...

6. chilufya

chilufya Member

You're welcome. (20 year Army vet)

7. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    It is my privilege and honor to serve you. Thank you for letting me serve you. (two years active duty from 1967-1969 including a brief stint in Viet Nam and Army National Guard since 1984. I just got a waiver to stay until I am age 62, two years from now.)

8. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

I'm thanking my cousin in Iraq right now! Lots of retired/dead military in my family but he's active so he's gettin all the love! And to everyone I'm not related to, of course.

9. T-Lex

T-Lex Member

Albums:
    Really glad to see this thread as we are about to commemorate Veterans Day here in the U.S. I don't think our military personnel get the respect and gratitude they deserve. Their sacrifices -- sometimes the ultimate sacrifice -- allow all of us to enjoy our day-to-day lives relatively free of fear and oppression.

So a big THANK YOU to all our current and former ladies and gents in the military. Your service to our country is very much appreciated!

10. CJR

CJR
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    US Air Force since July 1976.... My father was "sparky", a radioman on a submarine at the end of WWII, my grandfather was in WWII and the Korean War in Civil Engineering, my cousin was a Green Beret in Vietnam, and my daughter is an officer in the Navy, and my son an officer in the Air Force. I'm proud to be a part of a military family.

11. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you to all veterans...I have the utmost respect for you and the choice you have made to make sacrifices for us. The only vet I really know on this site is Over 7, so to Over 7: Thank you and God Bless You!

12. B_Swimming Lad

B_Swimming Lad New Member

My Dad. Veteran of the Falkland Islands and First Gulf war.

Also every living Empire veteran and veterans of all nationalities who have served in the forces. As well as any soldiors currently fighting for the greater good in the middle east.

Thank you.

13. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

For those past, and present who make the ultimate sacrifice, wherever you come from, forever in your debt.

You will be remembered: My Remembrance Day

"Least we not forget"

[​IMG]

14. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I posted this thread I did not know what type of responses would be generated.

I appreciate all the comments and it certainly shows the fact that we all appreciate our respective Nation's Warriors.

Thanks for all the messages.

By the way, I am a Veteran and I had a very nice Veteran's Day.

15. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

You are welcome. It was my honor to serve.

Me: US Marine Corps, First Marine Division (fortunately, no combat duty during my tour)
    My older brother: US Navy, Viet Nam.
    My dad: US Coast Guard, activated to regular Navy during WWII; landing boat coxswain in the Pacific Theater, including the Iwo Jima campaign.

Interesting that we all three ended up doing sea service, but in different branches.

16. B_Veronica_Divine

B_Veronica_Divine New Member

Thank you for defending our freedom.

17. earllogjam

Gold Member

Thank you.

We take many of things for granted that in other countries are considered luxuries. Freedom is one of them.

18. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

As I said, Veronica, it was my honor. Although I was not deployed, (no major wars during my tour of duty, so it was all stateside) my combat field training was perimeter guard and M-60 team - machine gunners.

My brother had some rough times and close calls during his tour in Viet Nam. But I think Dad had the worst of it. Landing boat coxswain had to have been one of the worst possible jobs. He was truly a hero.

If you have seen "Saving Private Ryan," the portrayals in that movie are fairly accurate.

But as my brother said during my Dad's memorial service two months ago:

"Saving Private Ryan gave a very accurate description of what absolute hell these landings were like for the troops, but nobody really considers what it was like for the landing boats. The troops hit the beach and either dig in, move on, or die. The landing boat coxswain hits the beach again and again and again until his mission is complete or he dies."

And his job wasn't finished when all the troops landed. He went back to the big boat for supplies & ammunition, took those ashore, and hauled back all the dead and wounded he could; repeat and repeat and repeat. At the end of the Pacific Theater campaign, slightly less than 25% of the landing boat coxswains survived.

He got no Medal of Honor, he got no Silver Star or Navy Cross, just lots and lots of campaign ribbons. But I still think he was a hero.

19. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    DC, it's not whether or not you saw action that makes you brave, it is the fact that you were willing to, and for that we are thankful.

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Thank you, DoubleDee... I thought I had killed this thread!:biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted