Thank God for Patrick

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here's a great little book a friend of mine gave me a copy of: Thomas Cahill | How the Irish Saved Civilization | About the Book - It's funny, illuminating, and from what I hear after talking to folks who would know, pretty accurate. It focuses mostly on Patrick, but also covers some other great saints like Kevin, Columcille, and Brigid.

It's a very good read, I know enjoyed it. Well written, an easy flow which guides novices of the subject through with ease.

Ohhh dear. :/ What like?

(No offense btw - was talking about the pushing his wife off a cliff episode...)

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Kevin was a cunt. Nice gaff tho, looked a bit like Saruman's place from Lord of the Rings.
Kevin was a hermit, or at least he wanted to be. He was hard to get along with because he felt he could serve God better by leading an heremetical way of life. There are stories about him stripping naked and wading into nettle and gorse patches as a means of disciplining himself. He slept on a rock ledge in what had to be inhospitable country back in the day. He was weird by our more modern standards, and a bit of a loner, but I dunno if 'cunt' is the right word to describe him. We might still be in the Dark Ages if not for him and a few others.

I'm not fully aware of his contribution to society I guess. :/

Didn't mean to cause offense, and maybe cunt was the wrong term to use (but possibly no more so than when others have been called cunts on here in jest?).

Good background of Kev, Hicks - and Glendalough is a beautiful place. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Apparently the Virgin Mary, our Lady of the milk and happy delivery is the patron saint of the USA.

Can't see that October 7th will be as much fun as March 17th though.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I'm not fully aware of his contribution to society I guess. :/

Didn't mean to cause offense, and maybe cunt was the wrong term to use (but possibly no more so than when others have been called cunts on here in jest?).

Good background of Kev, Hicks - and Glendalough is a beautiful place. ;)

I don't object to the term cunt any more or less than I'd object if you'd called him a wife-beater. The story of him throwing his wife off a cliff is just that, a story. According to the Catholic encyclopaedia (which is far less biased than most people will probably give it credit for) he was never married. The accepted story is that a woman took a shine to him and when she made her move he scourged first himself and then her with nettles.

As for the Dark Ages references - Irish monasteries and scholars like St.Kevin kept the knowledge of writing and reading Latin (and other languages) alive throughout a period where it otherwise might have been lost. If it hadn't been for the likes of Kevin we may well have lost much of the knowledge of the preceding centuries and had to start from scratch. That's what I was referring to.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
If the idea had been to enhance the sexual experience that way then, yes, I'd agree. The way it's told the nettles were to distract from and prevent any sexual encounter from taking place, so I'm not really sure that counts as a kink.

Could be, but my concept of perversion is to consider the flesh sinful. Some religions are very fucked up on this IMO. To then thrash a woman for having the hots would make you a cunt, and a criminal actually. I presume he had to expose her flesh for the nettles to do their worst. There's often some wank fodder hidden away.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Could be, but my concept of perversion is to consider the flesh sinful. Some religions are very fucked up on this IMO. To then thrash a woman for having the hots would make you a cunt, and a criminal actually. I presume he had to expose her flesh for the nettles to do their worst. There's often some wank fodder hidden away.

Sources I've read are not explicit on that point.

P'raps none of it ever happened at all.

In age where there were no antibiotics, minimal personal hygiene and practically no contraception (except for the very rich) there was a lot more to be said for chastity and waiting until after marriage than there is nowadays.

Jus' sayin'...

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I don't object to the term cunt any more or less than I'd object if you'd called him a wife-beater. The story of him throwing his wife off a cliff is just that, a story. According to the Catholic encyclopaedia (which is far less biased than most people will probably give it credit for) he was never married. The accepted story is that a woman took a shine to him and when she made her move he scourged first himself and then her with nettles.

As for the Dark Ages references - Irish monasteries and scholars like St.Kevin kept the knowledge of writing and reading Latin (and other languages) alive throughout a period where it otherwise might have been lost. If it hadn't been for the likes of Kevin we may well have lost much of the knowledge of the preceding centuries and had to start from scratch. That's what I was referring to.

While the substantial contribution to civilisation of the Irish of late antiquity and the early medieval period (the "Dark Ages" being a term no longer used by serious historians) cannot be underestimated, and as person of Irish descent I'm naturally proud of that contribution, it must be said that the Latin language would not have been lost had the late antique and early medieval fluorescence of Irish Christian culture never happened.

Both the Byzantine empire and the Arabs kept fluency in written and spoken Latin alive and indeed were familiar with a much broader and more developed corpus of Latin literature and culture than the ancient Irish, to whom Latin was nothing more than a Liturgical language and not a commonly spoken or understood one.

Probably the most substantial quantity of Latin literature from the classical Roman, the early Roman Empire, and Late Roman periods which survives today, has been transmitted to us via Byzantine sources. This literature formed a part of a living cultural tradition in Byzantium until it adopted Greek as its primary language, though even after this Latin, both as a language and a cultural heritage remained a central part of Byzantine culture and learning. There are hundreds perhaps thousands of texts written in Latin which we would have no knowledge of unless Byzantine writers had paraphrased them, quoted them or otherwise referenced them, and this is quite apart from the enormous amount of intact literature which survived because the Byzantines meticulously copied and preserved it.

Liturgical and Theological Christian Latin culture from the earliest periods have a mixed transmission so to speak, having come down to us from a variety of ancient Christian sources from a variety of locales, and though the Irish of late antiquity and the early middle ages played a vital role in keeping alive western Roman christian culture, they did not "save Christian culture" as many seem to have come to believe they did.

Just for a bit of balance :tongue:

Last edited: