Thank god! It has happened after 43 Years!!!

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
FRANCE WILL ANNOUNCE THEIR REINTEGRATION INTO NATO'S MILITARY COMMAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooray we are all saved!!!! LOL :wink:

some highlights:

The quiet reintegration intensified under President Jacques Chirac....... However, Chirac's price for agreeing to France's return - taking European command of one of the two major NATO commands in the Mediterranean area (AFSOUTH in Naples) from the United States - was regarded by the Clinton administration as too high and the deal ultimately collapsed."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

yes...let's not only reintegrate them...let's give them command of half the Mediterranean!

...even more worrisome...

Nor, in fact, has Sarkozy walked away empty-handed. The United States has reportedly agreed that France will be given responsibility for the Virginia-based Allied Command Transformation (ACT), which prepares the Alliance's long-term vision and doctrine, as well as the Alliance's command post in Lisbon, which is the headquarters for NATO's Rapid Reaction Force (NRF).

do we really want the folks that gave us the Maginot Line and fell to the Germans in 3 days (it only took so long because it was raining) in charge of long term vision, doctrine and the Rapid Reaction Force?

we should rename it the NATO Rapid Retreat Force now. :frown1:

France has some very excellent special forces plus intelligence units and networks, but as for the rest...well...you know the old joke...

During the war of 1812, the French capture a British Major. He was brought to the French general for interrogation. The French general began ridiculing the Major and the General said,
"Why do you British wear zat stupid red tunic, eet makes it easy for us to shoot you."
The British major replied,
"Because If a British officer is wounded, the blood will not show, and my soldiers will not panic."
The French general said,
"Zat eez an excellent idea," he turned to his adjutant and said, "From now on all French officers will wear brown pants."

Ba dum bump :biggrin1:

and of course these gems:

"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against DisneyWorld and Big Macs than the Nazis?"

GlobalSecurity.org - SITREP Situation Report

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Something I recently overheard from house guests staying with us:

Q: Does this smell clean enough to wear?
A: Yeah, if you're French.

I'm rather fond of France, the French and frit pommes de terre. But coffee unexpectedly came out of my nose when I heard this. My bad.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No offense, Frenchies.

True story. I belonged to a gym in the mid-90's in a suburb of Cincinnati. A French guy was here on some type of 9 or 10 month business endeavor. His company covered his membership to this gym.

I'm not kidding. This fucker smelled so bad it had the entire gym up in arms, bitching to mgmt, etc. This guy would do pullups and people would run out of the gym like there was a fire alarm. It was disgusting. And I usually don't care about that kind of stuff, but this guy..you could smell him coming.

Never seen [smelled] anything like it.

Is there some kind of embargo on deoderant over there?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
To be fair, every time I've traveled throughout France I've never noticed or encountered a national problem with body odor or personal hygiene. I've spent several three-month stays in Paris, a month in Lyon, three or four hazy months in La Provence, and I can't remember how many times I've frolicked on the nude beaches of Côte d’Azur. Never encountered body odor problems with the locals, though. And Rexona, my favorite deodorant bath soap that comes in an array of "fresh intense" interpretations is the cheapest soap sold everywhere, locally manufactured by Unilever and just as cheap and available in Spain and Argentina.

But Paris does win "the most dog shit in the streets" award, hands down. And Barçelona runs a close second regarding rampant dog blast. BCN's streeets are cleaned nightly by street washer trucks using "gray water." But the dog blast and accumulation of salts left by drying dog urine on sidewalks is otherwise dealt with a wait-and-see attitude. After all, it "might" rain tomorrow so why worry?

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Something I recently overheard from house guests staying with us:

Q: Does this smell clean enough to wear?
A: Yeah, if you're French.

I'm rather fond of France, the French and frit pommes de terre. But coffee unexpectedly came out of my nose when I heard this. My bad.
Now that's funny. :lmao:

M

Mr Ed in Mass

i have two WWII French rifles,both were never fired and dropped only once.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To be fair, every time I've traveled throughout France I've never noticed or encountered a national problem with body odor or personal hygiene. I've spent several three-month stays in Paris, a month in Lyon, three or four hazy months in La Provence, and I can't remember how many times I've frolicked on the nude beaches of Côte d’Azur. Never encountered body odor problems with the locals, though. And Rexona, my favorite deodorant bath soap that comes in an array of "fresh intense" interpretations is the cheapest soap sold everywhere, locally manufactured by Unilever and just as cheap and available in Spain and Argentina.

But Paris does win "the most dog shit in the streets" award, hands down. And Barçelona runs a close second regarding rampant dog blast. BCN's streeets are cleaned nightly by street washer trucks using "gray water." But the dog blast and accumulation of salts left by drying dog urine on sidewalks is otherwise dealt with a wait-and-see attitude. After all, it "might" rain tomorrow so why worry?

Maybe they have a problem getting hygiene toiletries through customs. dunno what to tell ya. The guy stunk.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Man (to French woman): "I love your braids - they are beautiful."

French Woman: "Thank you"

Man: "I've never seen that done with underarm hair before"

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against DisneyWorld and Big Macs than the Nazis?"

I can sleep at night knowing that I am safe from an army wearing mouse ears attacking with hamburgers.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
American Revolution: In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare: "France only wins when America does most of the fighting".

WWI: Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like not only to sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

Algerian Rebellion: Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a Western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare -"We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Eskimos.

French Military Victory History in a Nutshell

I wouldn't be too worried about France's decision in itself.

However, one of the main reasons behind it, is to gain approval for developing a separate EU defence identity within NATO (for the moment), in return for rejoining NATO.

That's what the EU has been trying to get off the ground for sometime now, after an agreement in '98 between France, Italy, Germany, UK, etc to form a military alliance (pooling of resources, common procurement and doctrine, etc). A military college has been set up to train officers within the EU in common methods. There's also the early stages of setting up a single defence market - where previously nationally-awarded defence contracts will have to be put out to tender across Europe (something which would normally be considered to be against national interest).

Once it's built up - well...why stay within NATO anymore?...it's convenient for the moment, but watch this space...

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find it in rather bad taste that Americans will badmouth France. We would have never won our independence from England without their help. France has been at various times throughout history, the world's most powerful country.

If you want to make fun of something French, then you should make fun of how stubborn and pompous they are. It is their inability to innovate and improvise that has led to their defeats.

They formed the world's first standing army in the Western world since Roman rule.

They also pulled a rather obscure new form of American art onto the world's stage. Jazz would not exist today in it's current form if it wasn't for the French.

Since jazz is America's only "true" art form, I think that America owes a great deal to France.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
complete nonsense...Blues and its offshoots is america's artistic gift to the world. much more so than jazz.

the blues came first, rock and roll came next, and neither came from france.

and none of this has anything to do with the re-integration of the french military into NATO.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I was raised in Canada and America and learned to diss the French from my Dad. I've been to France maybe 15 times in past 25 years. I've never had a bad time, never thought it was dirty (you should see the pressure washing Cannes gets at 4 o'clock in the morning!). The food is great and the people are no more unfriendly than anywhere else in N. Europe. As a (Canadian) student, I was overwhelmed at the love shown us in the area around Dunkirk. Last fall I was in Paris for ten days and was really struck by how warm the locals were. Even the waiters were nice.

I think this stereotyping of the French by Americans, comes from stories told in the fifties by the few who Americans able to afford to travel at the time. The myths have been perpetuated. I'm not saying they are perfect or that they can't be rude, or smelly and I know lots of French jokes. I just think it's like an urban myth... it grows with the re-telling.

Even my Dad said last year he thinks the French have some great innovations and technology and that he did respect their bravery in WW II. (He was there). I think his dislike of the French came from some bad experiences in Quebec during the depression. Plus he hates Catholics too. :rolleyes:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
complete nonsense...Blues and its offshoots is america's artistic gift to the world. much more so than jazz.

I am not sure that "Blues" is an art form. The "blues" is technically a song structure and a style of music that contains certain requisite elements. Jazz is a style of music, but it is really an art form and is arguably, the highest form of individual musical expression.

I mean, all music is art and in that respect, Blues music is wholly artistic.

I don't really have the energy to explain why jazz is America's only true art form. I am sure that you don't need an explanation, but your dismissal of my post as "nonsense" indicates that you do.

Stick your "nonsense" where the sun doesn't shine.

the blues came first, rock and roll came next, and neither came from france.

Jazz predates rock and roll Flashy and I never said that jazz comes from France. I did say however, that jazz was nurtured and elevated by the French.

and none of this has anything to do with the re-integration of the french military into NATO.

Well, that is obvious, but I was responding to the French bashing that your thread spawned. I wasn't responding to you, if I was I would have quoted you.

Careful, they may ask for their gift back if this French bashing continues. Funny how that gift from a country that Americans have such little respect for has become a symbol of freedom for all Americans. Does anyone know what gift I'm referring to? Give up? Click the link below:

Where did the Statue of Liberty come from? | Big Site of Amazing Facts ©

You may also want to bone up on another part of your history:

French Aid in the Revolutionary War

Summary: While Americans take pride in deafeating the British on their own, to gain independence free from British rule, the colonies required the aid of the French. Had France not secretly been supplying aid to the Americas, followed by an open declaration of war on Britain, the British may have well kept control of the colonies and expanded their control to the French West Indies.

http://www.bookrags.com/essay-2005/2/13/123549/526

I'm not French, but history is history. The facts cannot be changed according to people's whims.

Last edited by a moderator:

Careful, they may ask for their gift back if this French bashing continues. Funny how that gift from a country that Americans have such little respect for has become a symbol of freedom for all Americans. Does anyone know what gift I'm referring to? Give up? Click the link below:

Where did the Statue of Liberty come from? | Big Site of Amazing Facts ©

You may also want to bone up on another part of your history:

French Aid in the Revolutionary War

Summary: While Americans take pride in deafeating the British on their own, to gain independence free from British rule, the colonies required the aid of the French. Had France not secretly been supplying aid to the Americas, followed by an open declaration of war on Britain, the British may have well kept control of the colonies and expanded their control to the French West Indies.

French Aid in the Revolutionary War Essay | Student Essays Summary

I'm not French, but history is history. The facts cannot be changed according to people's whims.

They helped the Americans? grrrr :mad: :biggrin1:

I'm not into the French-bashing either, tbh. Only Brits are allowed to do that - they don't mind a bit of teasing from their Rosbif friends.

Seriously though - very fond of them (just the EU as an organisation I'm wary of).