Thank you MADAME ZORA!

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
a post Madame Zora made in the Jesus thread inspired a little search I've made.

madame_zora said:
why is it only the spelling-impaired hold the "secrets of the universe"?

No shit! This little "patriot" is what's painting the rest of us a yahoos... her new song Politically UNcorrect is quite interesting. Gretchen? Try spell check. It'll help you look less under-educated.

Have a look: (before you do, I formally apologise to all our European and other North and South American neighbors) :rolleyes:

This shit's fucking scary.

Gretchen Wilson

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not sure which of these emotions/reactions is at the head of the line right now:

1)Uh, gretchen darlin, did your manager pick that song just because it knew EXACTLY which heartstrings to pull to get a rise out of the country music crowd? Flag, Bible, hard-workin farmer, soldiers fightin' war against evil...???

2)With such an otherwise neo-conservative-fundamentalist tone, how did the single mom slip in there?

3) Exactly what does "I'm for..." mean? I'm for the flag? I'm for the bible? I'm for the soldiers fighting in Iraq? I'm for the single mom raising her kids? What does that MEAN?

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
2)With such an otherwise neo-conservative-fundamentalist tone, how did the single mom slip in there?
Gretchen's personal biography played a rôle there, I'd say. I don't believe she's looked too much beyond the end of her own nose in order to arrive at her political 'beliefs' :rolleyes:

---> "Gretchen Wilson is from a small town with a population of 700. She was raised in a trailer park in Pocahontas, Illinois, by a single mother, who was 16 when Wilson was born. Her father left his wife and baby two years later. Wilson grew up in poverty, living in a succession of trailer parks as her mother struggled to pay the rent by working as a waitress at a diner. She left school during the ninth grade. At age 14 she worked as a cook and bartender and was singing for tips, busking in rural Illinois, at a place called Big O's.

Wilson has a daughter, Grace Frances Penner (born November 9, 2000) fathered by her longtime boyfriend Michael Penner. Wilson and Penner have since ended their relationship."

Another line worth quoting from this politically mixed-up creature's Wikipedia entry:

---> "After seeing the movie Super Size Me, Gretchen Wilson announced a commitment to eating at McDonald's at every stop along her world tour."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretchen_Wilson

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what it means DC is "I think fags are sinners"... that's what is means .. (among many other subtle things)

Wilson was born in Illinois, and I guess that nobody ever bothered to tell her that Illinois wasn't part of the Confederacy, because she proudly considers herself to be a redneck Southerner, singing "I'm a redneck woman, I ain't no high class broad". Congratulations, bitch - now go fetch me another beer and get to fixin' my dinner.
You see - Wilson thinks that she's empowering white trash women everywhere with her songs of anti-PC feminism (think: women chewing tobacco, drinking beer, bar-fighting, etc.), but all she's really doing is making a pathetic attempt to be rebellious/shocking, and in the process she's simply made herself a cliched caricature. Merle Haggard did prison-time, Johnny Cash got busted smuggling dope in from Mexico, David Allan Coe killed a dude in prison (if you can believe him), and Wilson thinks she's anti-establishment because she chews tobacco? Nice try, woman - now get back in the kitchen where you belong.

Gretchen Wilson's only fans are those fat cowgirls who sing along with her songs at the top of their lungs at the bar, trying to convince themselves that the only reason that they can't get boyfriends is because men are too intimidated by their empowered-redneck-woman status to approach them. So at the end of the night, these girls waddle back home alone to listen to their Gretchen Wilson albums and drown their loneliness in a sea of chocolate pudding and gravy.

-"Timmy" at www.blogcritics.org

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
So, who's the bigger snob, the 'white trash- or redneck-women', the 'fat cowgirls' or the one who looks down upon them?

The politically correct are currently too caught up in the fad of empowering illegal immigrants to embrace poor white women's politically uncorrect values.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Pecker said:
So, who's the bigger snob, the 'white trash- or redneck-women', the 'fat cowgirls' or the one who looks down upon them?
One's a snob, the other's a slob. Both might well be defined as taking a view of the world that fails to embrace anything which falls outside their own immediate sphere of experience. :rolleyes:

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Stronzo said:
Gretchen Wilson's only fans are those fat cowgirls who sing along with her songs at the top of their lungs at the bar, trying to convince themselves that the only reason that they can't get boyfriends is because men are too intimidated by their empowered-redneck-woman status to approach them. So at the end of the night, these girls waddle back home alone to listen to their Gretchen Wilson albums and drown their loneliness in a sea of chocolate pudding and gravy.

-"Timmy" at www.blogcritics.org

Interesting. That's kind of like saying the only people that listen to Mozart are rich, affluent people who prefer Grey Poupon over French's and wouldn't be caught dead driving anything less than a Rolls Royce.
Suffice it to say, everyone has different tastes.
Besides, I doubt Gretchen does much, if any of her own songwriting. As a person who works in the music industry, I can tell you she is a product of the big music machine called Nashville She does what her producer and label tell her to do, dare not she grow a brain and think for herself. Contracts these days are very specific on "do's and don'ts" and if she strays from those guidelines, she will risk her career. Not everything is as it seems.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LOL Pecker, others may phrase it that way, but it doesn't matter to me whether they are white trash, black trash, green trash, trailer trash... if they's trash, they's trash.

I've known "trailer residents" who definitely were NOT trash, and I have known the trashiest of trailer trash.

Songs like this one annoy me, not because of the content, but because of the OBVIOUS presentation to the target audience and the misleading non sequiturs they put forth. Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" was similar, although maybe not as cloying.

On the other hand, a good, trashy, cunt-breathing dragon is a whole other story.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hatched69 said:
<...>
Besides, I doubt Gretchen does much, if any of her own songwriting. As a person who works in the music industry, I can tell you she is a product of the big music machine called Nashville
<...>
She does what her producer and label tell her to do, dare not she grow a brain and think for herself.
Hence, my question number one in my first post....

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pecker said:

The politically correct are currently too caught up in the fad of empowering illegal immigrants to embrace poor white women's politically uncorrect values.
You hit the nail on the head!! Wow!:cool:

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
Hence, my question number one in my first post....

Answer: Very likely. The song goes through a "test audience" before it goes national, and being a country song, its test is likely conducted very close to, if not in Nashville. If it garners a large applause and acceptance, it goes through another test phase, then after that phase is complete, final production of the song is made and it is recorded. At least that's what USUALLY happens. Never forget the almighty dollar is what rules the charts. It could be Yoko Ono up there warbling the very same song, and if a crowd likes it (how the hell they would I'll never know), it's a "hit". So, don't blame Gretchen, she's just following orders. She may genuinely LIKE the song, but it's most certainly a requirement to perform due to its stature, whether you like it or not.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
I don't see where running down Joe sixpack is going to improve anyone's shot at acceptance.

On the other hand rednecks make fun of gays and gays make fun of rednecks, so I guess there actually is a sort of symbiotic equality.

*changes direction*

Merle Haggard has the voice of an angel. Put aside your politics and go see him while you still can. You will not be disappointed.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In his recent book, American Theology Kevin Phillips traces the demographics of the emergence of what he calls the "Southern Culture". He traces its roots back to the postbellum south as it recovered from the loss of the civil war, spiritually, culturally, and religiously redefining itself in the process.

Phillips maintains that there is a definite and powerful demographic that could easily be called an ethnic group for this Southern Culture, and its state church is the Southern Baptist Convention. Its intellectual sphere is distinctly anti-enlightenment, and its religion is markedly apocalyptic and fundamentalist. Their politics are conservative in the old definition of "states rights", not surprisingly, but have morphed into something else as it has faced a fearsome and ever more modern world. So in that respect their politics have responded to the modern world much like their religion has and those forces are often indistinguishable.

That they consider themselves patriots yet have no respect for the Constitution is more easily understood when you consider that much of their world view is rooted in the trauma of losing the civil war to the federal government. It encourages in them a mistrust of all "elitist organizations" in general which include those high falutin congressmen and that "nawthun" notion of a Constitution and institutions of higher learning as well as scientific academies. All of these are viewed by them as nothing more than carpetbaggers come down from the North to rob them of their culture, exploit them commercially and threaten their individual autonomy.

His contention is that this culture has expanded well beyond the borders of The South, finding fertile ground in the northward and westward migration of southerners and their direct descendents over the years since the civil war. They all easily and proudly can self-identify as "rednecks" even if they are from Illinois, because the borders of this new ethnicity are far now beyond the Mason Dixon line. Like the nation of Islam, this is a culture defined by its ethnicity and beliefs rather than the geography of borders.

He overlays the demographic maps of the proportion of membership in the Southern Baptist Convention as compared to other denominations with the voting demographics in the last few elections. There is a frightenly direct correlation between these factors and an even more frightenening demonstration of its rate of expansion across the country.

He characterizes the last 4 or 5 presidents as being "southern" by his cultural definition and predicts that we will not see a president elected for a long time in the future that is not considered a kin by this "southern" ethnic group. Through this it is easy to understand why GWB has been refashioned into this slow talking God fearing southern comman man by his handlers while noone else in his family even has a hint of an accent.

This song we are discussing could be the national anthem of this southern nation, whose borders are no longer geographic. I am sure that all of this is well understood by the marketing people in Nashville who know exactly who their audience is. This song was written to resonate with the same cognitive frames that are exploited by neo-con politicians and fundamentalist religious groups. This is Southern Culture rising as Christian Nationalism and voicing its anthem from its own Radio Free Redneck network.

The thing that makes the message from Phillips most scary is that he is a longtime Republican strategists, not some flaming progressive chicken little. His alarm comes from his observations as a Repbulican insider and a brilliant historian.

We are all essentially screwed. Its time to head for the caves and bunkers underneath all the Starbucks we have built across the country just for this occasion. And its time to unleash our ultimate scorched earth secret weapon. The Final Solution.

Gentlemen, its time to unleash Mme Zora on the entire...redneck...population.

Good luck and Godspeed.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Meat Puppets with boobs? Amusing.

Stronzo said:
a post Madame Zora made in the Jesus thread inspired a little search I've made.

No shit! This little "patriot" is what's painting the rest of us a yahoos... her new song Politically UNcorrect is quite interesting. Gretchen? Try spell check. It'll help you look less under-educated.

Have a look: (before you do, I formally apologise to all our European and other North and South American neighbors) :rolleyes:

This shit's fucking scary.

Gretchen Wilson

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
JustAsking said:
In his recent book, American Theology Kevin Phillips traces the demographics of the emergence of what he calls the "Southern Culture". He traces its roots back to the postbellum south as it recovered from the loss of the civil war, spiritually, culturally, and religiously redefining itself in the process.

Phillips maintains that there is a definite and powerful demographic that could easily be called an ethnic group for this Southern Culture, and its state church is the Southern Baptist Convention. Its intellectual sphere is distinctly anti-enlightenment, and its religion is markedly apocalyptic and fundamentalist. Their politics are conservative in the old definition of "states rights", not surprisingly, but have morphed into something else as it has faced a fearsome and ever more modern world. So in that respect their politics have responded to the modern world much like their religion has and those forces are often indistinguishable.

That they consider themselves patriots yet have no respect for the Constitution is more easily understood when you consider that much of their world view is rooted in the trauma of losing the civil war to the federal government. It encourages in them a mistrust of all "elitist organizations" in general which include those high falutin congressmen and that "nawthun" notion of a Constitution and institutions of higher learning as well as scientific academies. All of these are viewed by them as nothing more than carpetbaggers come down from the North to rob them of their culture, exploit them commercially and threaten their individual autonomy.

His contention is that this culture has expanded well beyond the borders of The South, finding fertile ground in the northward and westward migration of southerners and their direct descendents over the years since the civil war. They all easily and proudly can self-identify as "rednecks" even if they are from Illinois, because the borders of this new ethnicity are far now beyond the Mason Dixon line. Like the nation of Islam, this is a culture defined by its ethnicity and beliefs rather than the geography of borders.

He overlays the demographic maps of the proportion of membership in the Southern Baptist Convention as compared to other denominations with the voting demographics in the last few elections. There is a frightenly direct correlation between these factors and an even more frightenening demonstration of its rate of expansion across the country.

He characterizes the last 4 or 5 presidents as being "southern" by his cultural definition and predicts that we will not see a president elected for a long time in the future that is not considered a kin by this "southern" ethnic group. Through this it is easy to understand why GWB has been refashioned into this slow talking God fearing southern comman man by his handlers while noone else in his family even has a hint of an accent.

This song we are discussing could be the national anthem of this southern nation, whose borders are no longer geographic. I am sure that all of this is well understood by the marketing people in Nashville who know exactly who their audience is. This song was written to resonate with the same cognitive frames that are exploited by neo-con politicians and fundamentalist religious groups. This is Southern Culture rising as Christian Nationalism and voicing its anthem from its own Radio Free Redneck network.

The thing that makes the message from Phillips most scary is that he is a longtime Republican strategists, not some flaming progressive chicken little. His alarm comes from his observations as a Repbulican insider and a brilliant historian.

We are all essentially screwed. Its time to head for the caves and bunkers underneath all the Starbucks we have built across the country just for this occasion. And its time to unleash our ultimate scorched earth secret weapon. The Final Solution.

Gentlemen, its time to unleash Mme Zora on the entire...redneck...population.

Good luck and Godspeed.

I can easily buy much of this assessment for a certain segment of the population, but as a transplanted northerner to Virginia, which may or may not fall into the South he speaks to, I do have to point out that most southerners from NC, SC, and Virginia I have dealt with do not support the generalizations he makes. Those that do, however, number in the millions, a powerful force if they ever decided to coalesce. My dealings with them have been less ominous than his, I guess. In fact, I enjoy the company of several friends who would probably be considered rednecks but who hardly accept all those silly notions in the song. Her song that panders to the false sense of Americanism concerns me about as much the threat to core values that, say, Marilyn Manson supposedly poses. I would like to read the book, though, if for no other reason than that a Republican was analyzing a very unrepublican demographic. I heard about a similar film study of the southern culture, a documenatry made by a Brit called something like "Searching for the Blind-eyed Jesus."

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
COLJohn said:
I can easily buy much of this assessment for a certain segment of the population, but as a transplanted northerner to Virginia, which may or may not fall into the South he speaks to, I do have to point out that most southerners from NC, SC, and Virginia I have dealt with do not support the generalizations he makes"

Of course, Colonel. His point was that this is not as much geographic as it is ethnic. So you shouldnt be surprised to find elements of this stuff in Chicago or anywhere else and, conversely, you should be able to find people in Virginia who are not out to roll back the Enlightenment. It started as a geographic phenomenom but has become an ethnic one.

The book is incredibly well researched and his scholarship in history is pretty thorough. The stuff I was talking about was only part of one of his three theses about how much trouble we might be in. The three theses are energy resources, religiousity, and finance. He traces the rise and fall of three or four major empires in history and the symptoms they exhibit just before their downfall. And he finds parallels to the situation in America today. Its not like we are the first empire to want to export our way of life to other countries at gunpoint for their own good. Think British Empire, for example, but I expect you already did.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
JustAsking said:
Of course, Colonel. His point was that this is not as much geographic as it is ethnic. So you shouldnt be surprised to find elements of this stuff in Chicago or anywhere else and, conversely, you should be able to find people in Virginia who are not out to roll back the Enlightenment. It started as a geographic phenomenom but has become an ethnic one.

The book is incredibly well researched and his scholarship in history is pretty thorough. The stuff I was talking about was only part of one of his three theses about how much trouble we might be in. The three theses are energy resources, religiousity, and finance. He traces the rise and fall of three or four major empires in history and the symptoms they exhibit just before their downfall. And he finds parallels to the situation in America today. Its not like we are the first empire to want to export our way of life to other countries at gunpoint for their own good. Think British Empire, for example, but I expect you already did.

Agreed, JA, but I still maintain that the term "southern" carries geography with it. When I go home to WI and the word southern comes up in any context, no one thinks in terms of ethnicity; it's strictly geographical. To apply that term slants the viewpoint if not the message. Having not read the book, I don't know his intentions about the South, but can I assume he thinks that the ethnicity he is disturbed by thrives and maybe originated there? I don't want to wade too far into this discussion beyond semantics, JA, until I have read the book. I'll take your word on his intended meaning. As for the rest of his thesis, I can't imagine anyone who looks around him today disagreeing with it.