Thank you MADAME ZORA!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
COLJohn said:
<...>
but I am still unable to tell the difference between a northern conservative and many southern Dems. Maybe DC can explain it to me some day.
Ha, John, if you are referring to ME here, you just barked up the wrong tree. I think they are all a bunch of crooked "Republicrats", the only difference being which keywords they use to get you to believe their lies.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
DC_DEEP said:
Ha, John, if you are referring to ME here, you just barked up the wrong tree. I think they are all a bunch of crooked "Republicrats", the only difference being which keywords they use to get you to believe their lies.

DC, you obviously have as much understanding of Virginia politics as I have. Sometimes in political discussions with my southern buddies I feel as if I am talking with Sybil.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Shelby said:
Looks like the DC's new fans aren't too crazy about live music.

They just replaced their Bible Belt dates with Canadian ones. And I've heard that money's just as good.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Matthew said:
They just replaced their Bible Belt dates with Canadian ones. And I've heard that money's just as good.

Their quarters don't work in our Coca-Cola machines....:biggrin1:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hatched69 said:
:confused: Obviously you don't see what I am saying. I don't care if it was Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, Garth Brooks, etc. They pissed off the public by bitching about the American pres. on foreign soil. That's it.
Thats right, if they had just kept quiet about it no one would have known anything about our foreign policy and everyone around the world would still like us. Damn those Chicks!

Hatched, did you ever hear the term "black listing". Look it up under McCarthyism sometime when you get a chance. It has to do with the government manipulating the public into a nationalistic frenzy about hateful enemies in our midst, implying that you are either "with us or agin us" in the war against them, and then letting the public ruin people's careers out of nationalistic outrage. Yes people voted with their $$ in the early 50s and ruined the careers of quite a few people. It was one of the most hateful shame filled episodes in our recent history.

There is nothing uglier than blind nationalism at the expense of the world except blind religious zealotry at the expense of the world.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
JustAsking said:
Thats right, if they had just kept quiet about it no one would have known anything about our foreign policy and everyone around the world would still like us. Damn those Chicks!

Hatched, did you ever hear the term "black listing". Look it up under McCarthyism sometime when you get a chance. It has to do with the government manipulating the public into a nationalistic frenzy about hateful enemies in our midst, implying that you are either "with us or agin us" in the war against them, and then letting the public ruin people's careers out of nationalistic outrage. Yes people voted with their $$ in the early 50s and ruined the careers of quite a few people. It was one of the most hateful shame filled episodes in our recent history.

There is nothing uglier than blind nationalism at the expense of the world except blind religious zealotry at the expense of the world.

Yip. I know where you're coming from.
I'm just stating a well-known fact. Whether you or I agree with them is irrelevant. The fact that they received reprimand for their actions is what's at hand. The public voted, not just one or 2 of us, but one or 2 million, and that's what killed them. I can understand their anger, but I personally don't agree with their tactics. There's enough hatred for the U.S. already, why stir the pot? That just MY OPINION. :rolleyes:

T

that_other_guy

Maybe I'm alone ... but I wasn't bothered at all by this ...

BUT ... I did hate every waking second of it (as I do with all country music) ... I personally don't care what Gretchen thinks & puts in her music/video, because all in all, it's just to make money. That is what it's purpose is ... to line the record companies & Mrs. Wilson's pockets ... and if someone likes the song/message Good For Them, I'm glad they enjoyed it ... I'd rather vomit than listen to this :rolleyes:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hatched69 said:
Yip. I know where you're coming from.
I'm just stating a well-known fact. Whether you or I agree with them is irrelevant. The fact that they received reprimand for their actions is what's at hand. The public voted, not just one or 2 of us, but one or 2 million, and that's what killed them. I can understand their anger, but I personally don't agree with their tactics. There's enough hatred for the U.S. already, why stir the pot? That just MY OPINION. :rolleyes:
Ok, I get it now. Its not dissent you were objecting to. You are just objecting to it being done in another country where the nuances would not be obvious to everyone. I am not sure I agree completely with that, but now I see where you are coming from. I bet you don't like excessive nationalism, either.

By the way, your signature is great.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
that_other_guy said:
Maybe I'm alone ... but I wasn't bothered at all by this ...

BUT ... I did hate every waking second of it (as I do with all country music) ... I personally don't care what Gretchen thinks & puts in her music/video, because all in all, it's just to make money. That is what it's purpose is ... to line the record companies & Mrs. Wilson's pockets ... and if someone likes the song/message Good For Them, I'm glad they enjoyed it ... I'd rather vomit than listen to this :rolleyes:
You do know what happens when you play a C&W song backwards don't you?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
that_other_guy said:
I inhale my vomit ?

Haha, no but that is a good answer. What happens is that you get your job back, your spouse or SO comes back, your dog comes back to life, and you stop drinking.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
JustAsking said:
Ok, I get it now. Its not dissent you were objecting to. You are just objecting to it being done in another country where the nuances would not be obvious to everyone. I am not sure I agree completely with that, but now I see where you are coming from. I bet you don't like excessive nationalism, either.

By the way, your signature is great.

You got it. Just the same as we don't fully understand the plight of the Iraqi people, they don't understand us. (just an example there)

Thx for the compliment BTW!!

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
that_other_guy said:
I inhale my vomit ?

You haven't heard the really bad ones yet. Try spending hours in a studio with someone who couldn't keep tune if it was handcuffed to them. It will leave you crying in your beer, believe me!! Judicious use of pitch correctors help, but to those of us at the mixing desk, we know how bad things really are....and it's not just C/W.....:eek:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hatched69 said:
Interesting. That's kind of like saying the only people that listen to Mozart are rich, affluent people who prefer Grey Poupon over French's and wouldn't be caught dead driving anything less than a Rolls Royce.

No it says nothing of the kind. The myopic fool and her lyrics speak for themselves. There's nothing even remotely subtle or insightful about her message. That much is clear.

In a nutshell??

(token black in video duly noted :rolleyes:)

"Being American equals: white, Christian, poorly-educated (and rather oddly proud of it), war-mongering and angry"

Suffice it to say, everyone has different tastes.

But there is no taste in that.
Besides, I doubt Gretchen does much, if any of her own songwriting. As a person who works in the music industry, I can tell you she is a product of the big music machine called Nashville She does what her producer and label tell her to do, dare not she grow a brain and think for herself. Contracts these days are very specific on "do's and don'ts" and if she strays from those guidelines, she will risk her career. Not everything is as it seems.

Whatever she is or is not she's one thing as is much of the "Nashville machine"; repulsive to the very core.

And if indeed she 'does what her producer tells her' I refer you back to the piece in your post with took exception to Tim's critique of her. Simply another 'ANTI-feminist'.

Matthew said:
Or, sometimes it just introduces you to a new and truer audience. For example, the Dixie Chicks' recent record was a number one, multi-million selling smash despite the lack of support from country radio.

God bless Natalie Maines.

Yes. Oddly the revitalization of The Dixie Chicks and their subsequent triumph in the face of that monstrous hew and cry has back-fired on those who'd have crucified her.

And the Dixie Chicks respond.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Stronzo said:
No it says nothing of the kind. The myopic fool and her lyrics speak for themselves. There's nothing even remotely subtle or insightful about her message. That much is clear.

In a nutshell??

(token black in video duly noted :rolleyes:)

"Being American equals: white, Christian, poorly-educated (and ratherly oddly proud of it), war-mongering and angry"

But there is no taste in that.

Whatever she is or is not she's one thing as is much of the "Nashville machine"; repulsive to the very core.

And if indeed she 'does what her producer tells her' I refer you back to the piece in your post with took exception to Tim's critique of her. Simply another 'ANTI-feminist'.

So now anyone who listens to her is labeled with the same stereotype? That's pretty much what he's portraying here.....
Obviously SOMEBODY likes her, or she wouldn't be selling records.
I don't care if Tim's her worst enemy or bedbuddy, everyone listens to different music, just the same as we drive different cars. As evident in other posts, your taste and views are vastly different than mine. No need to attack someone so vehemently just because you don't agree with their opinions or values, though.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's pretty plain to see who her target audience is Hatched. That's painfully obvious.

And I didn't attack you. If I do you'll know it.

But it appears you've just done so to me with your 'other posts' remarks. Yes our tastes, as you note, are 'vastly different'. On that there can be no disagreement.

Let's not attack one another shall we? Thanks.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Stronzo said:
It's pretty plain to see who her target audience is Hatched. That's painfully obvious.

And I didn't attack you. If I do you'll know it.

But it appears you've just done so to me with your 'other posts' remarks. Yes our tastes, as you note, are 'vastly different'. On that there can be no disagreement.

Let's not attack one another shall we? Thanks.

No personal attacks meant whatsoever. I am just simply explaining that there are people in the US that enjoy different things that you and I enjoy. Name-calling (as in the review) is unwarranted and unnecessary.
I am NOT Gretchen's target audience, but if there's so much noise and upheaval about her, there should be equal complaining about some of the hip-hop artists and the type of life they portray for America too. Singling out Gretchen as the spokesperson for the USA is completely unfair.
Let's just agree to disagree...
Peace?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We've not been at war.

But I will refer you back to JustAsking's perfectly insightful post regarding the rise of this sort of blind patriotism as represented in Ms. Wilson's little ditty there.

It's indicative of a very scary trend at shutting up people who don't agree with the "mom, apple pie, and flag-waving" brand of neo-patriotism we've seen rear it's nasty head since the events of 9/11.

This bears repeating:

JustAksing said:
That they consider themselves patriots yet have no respect for the Constitution is more easily understood when you consider that much of their world view is rooted in the trauma of losing the civil war to the federal government. It encourages in them a mistrust of all "elitist organizations" in general which include those high falutin congressmen and that "nawthun" notion of a Constitution and institutions of higher learning as well as scientific academies. All of these are viewed by them as nothing more than carpetbaggers come down from the North to rob them of their culture, exploit them commercially and threaten their individual autonomy.

His contention is that this culture has expanded well beyond the borders of The South, finding fertile ground in the northward and westward migration of southerners and their direct descendents over the years since the civil war. They all easily and proudly can self-identify as "rednecks" even if they are from Illinois, because the borders of this new ethnicity are far now beyond the Mason Dixon line. Like the nation of Islam, this is a culture defined by its ethnicity and beliefs rather than the geography of borders.

It's real and do not fail to acknowledge what happened during the McCarthy period he references as well ... There's nothing new under the sun and the cyclical theory of history applies here.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For the record?

Hatched.. I've stated many times my loathing for Hip Hop and Rap music and I've taken a fair share of heat for that opinion here. So I'm an equal opportunity snob .. if in fact that's truly what I am.