Thank you - we haven't forgotten.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Today is the 11th of November.

90 years ago today hostilities in World War I came to an official end.

This day commemorates all the war dead - especially from WWI and WWII but from other conflicts past and present.

Here in my locale, in France, three wreaths were laid at the monument and the Tricoleur, the Union Flag and the Star and Stripes are flying at half mast from behind it.

In the larger town nearby the flags of all the alied nations are flying and a wreath was laid for the fallen enemy as well.

What way do you remember in your town? Was it today, was it the weekend just past? Has the custom died out anywhere yet? I hope not.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
We remember it by a day off in the whole country (Belgium) and the king will visit the grave of the unknown soldier. Also in Ypres they will play the last post underneath the 'Menenpoort'. Very touchy Last post.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I hope we never forget, no matter what age we are. Today in my village we lay a wreath of poppies at our war memorial stone on the common. Just a small service for a small village, but all over the the UK, similar services happen, and yesterday (Remembrance Sunday) we had our annual ceremony at the Cenotaph in Whitehall. A national two minutes silence is observed at 11 a.m.

Remembrance Sunday UK

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
The small town I live in now laid many wreaths at different site through out the city. We also stood for a few minutes of silence as the radio played traditional songs.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is almost unknown in the US that it used to be Armistice Day, celebrating the war to end all wars, and make the world safe for democracy.

I think it is a bit redundant to have a Memorial Day, the last Monday in May, (which started out, I have been told, as Decoration Day, decorating graves and honoring Confederate dead, the Wiki article says Union) as well as a Veterans day. I call it Armistice Day, being a peacenik, but with a grandfather who served in both world wars, and retired as an Admiral. My Father was in the Korean war.

Last edited:

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In Canada we have a very special place for our Veterans who
served and for those who never made it back. The following
poem is taught to every child in school and Poppies are sold every year.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

— Lt.-Col. John McCrae

""In Flanders Fields" one of the most famous poems written during the First World War, and has been called "the most popular poem" produced during that period.It is written in the form of a French rondeau. Canadian physician and Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae wrote it on May 3, 1915, after he witnessed the death of his friend, Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, the day before. The poem was first published on December 8, that year in Punch magazine.