Thanksgiving and Christmas

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by kewlkid75, Nov 17, 2010.

1. kewlkid75

kewlkid75 Active Member

Albums:
    Hello There,
    I was just wondering.

What are some of your plans for Thanksgiving?
    Are you going to spend it with friends family or just be home.

What are you cooking?

Has anyone started Christmas shopping.

Just wondering?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Thanksgiving is going to be fairly traditional.
    Turkey and stuffing, sweet potato bread pudding, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry and pineapple relish, fresh bread and butter... and for dessert either pumpkin pie or chocolate pecan pie or both.
    Just us and a couple of friends.
    The shopping is finished and wrapped and ready to ship, the cards are ready to mail. I just have to do some baking of some holiday favorites in the not too distant future.

3. luka82

Gold Member

Well, we don`t have Thanksgiving.
    But I believe we are going to bake pork for Christmas, and some potatoes with it.
    Salad Russe as a sidedish. Lots of different salads as well.
    I think I might be baking lots of different pies as well. We use the fine baklava crust for our pies.
    As far as shopping is concerned, I`m broke, I`ll be giving people myself.
    (most will object, but who gives a fuck;))

4. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanksgiving is always at home but we rarely cook turkey. Not really a poultry fan. But we always invite an eclectic crowd. Always two of Cap's bandmates that have been with him forever, and a few from the university and work. Always lots of fun and never the same scene since the folks change.

Christmas is usually a quiet affair. Sometimes we go to Mum and Dad's in Texas. That's always fun, but she's a church-goer so we're usually pulled along. About the best part of that is watching Cap in a church! LOL! He's waiting for the lightning!

5. accemb

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanksgiving with my family; my Mom cooks a fabulous turkey dinner with all the trimmings: sausage stuffing, candied yams, mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, pumpkin pie and apple pie for dessert.

For Christmas, the treats always include my mother's homemade cookies, which bring back so many happy childhood memories. Christmas Eve is the big deal. We have an Italian Christmas Eve: traditional fish dinner at my cousin's home, with "7 fishes" (including linguini with clam sauce). Three young children at the celebration are adorable with their zeal to open presents and goodnight ritual to set out cookies and milk for Santa and a carrot for the reindeer.

Christmas Day is spent quietly with parents - always a beautiful roast beef dinner.

6. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

My Thanksgiving is most likely going to be rather boring and fairly quiet. Since my mom passed away, I don't really have much family around to celebrate with. My stepdad and his family just kinda disappeared out of my life, and the only family I have in this city are my dad and brother. My brother is a server, so he's almost always working on Thanksgiving. My dad generally goes out of town to visit his brother. So it'll just be me here... I might be able to crash a friends dinner party, we'll see. :tongue:

I haven't started Christmas shopping yet, mostly because I'm broke, but partly because it's REALLY hard for me to purchase a present this far in advance, and expect myself to not give it to it's recipient before the actual day. :p I wait until a couple days before and do it all at once.

7. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    We don't have Thanksgiving here, so I'll not be doing anything then.

Though I personally don't believe in Christmas, it is celebrated for our kids. We'll be having it with family and plan to cook three joints of meat, probably beef, lamb and wild boar, a large selection of veg to satisfy any awkward eaters, stuffing and gravy. Not currently decided on dessert.

Gifts are decided on but not bought yet, things keep getting in the way!

8. ghb69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Will that be wrapped or unwrapped???:wink::biggrin1::tongue:

9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

The pumpkin is in the oven... as soon as it's done I'll puree it and it can chill until I make the pie on Tuesday!

10. B_curiousme01

B_curiousme01 New Member

We celebrate both at home with all the traditional foods you would expect. I am thinking of pheasant this year for Christmas. I have heard it is very good.

11. kewlkid75

kewlkid75 Active Member

Albums:
    I will be with family. We are all cooking or buying[if u can't cook]. I know we will have greens, Turkey and dressing[traditional... cornbread...homemade],ham[spiral cut..honey baked]. Lots more. YUMMO. My diet will be wrecked at least for that day.

I haven't started my shopping...Yet. Looks like gift cards though.

12. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

We don't do Thanks Giving here so that's out.

I got all the Christmas gift shopping done and dusted.

Christmas will be Roasted Duckling with Port and Sour Cherry Sauce, Roasted Potatoes, steamed Asian Greens and a selection of cold Seafood.

13. Robert53

Robert53 Member

Albums:
    christmas shopping? you are kidding me!!!! damn capatilist pig! LOL

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I haven't discussed it yet with anyone, but basically I'll have two options for both Thanksgiving and Christmas:

1) Spend T'giving as I did last year with a dear friend who's a fabulous gourmet cook. He manages to put a flavorful and creative spin on all the standards, and will likely throw in a wildcard or two. Last year it was a pumpkin soufflée that was out-of-this-world dreamy. The wines will be plentiful (we all bring one, plus he's got quite the collection himself). There will probably be about 8-10 people total, and the conversation is civilized and highly literate.

2) The alternate, should #1 decide not to host, will be a relatively new (about 10 months now) friend with whom I have a regularly-scheduled weekly platonic dinner date. As he, like me, is a New England native, it will predictably be very, very traditional, with things like made-from-scratch cranberry dressing and an assortment of pies (mincemeat wouldn't surprise me). This one would be much smaller and more intimate, with my friend, his partner and my friend's son, with perhaps two or three additional guests. The wine will probably not be outstanding, but there's sure to be plenty of booze on hand.

Christmas will be the same options, though I might opt out and just spend a quiet day alone. As appealing as that sounds, current tensions with my housemate will probably mean that it's unlikely to happen.

I'm hardly a Grinch, but ever since my sister and I declared a gift strike back in our late teens (as a way of decommercializing it as much as possible), I tend to favor very modest gifts limited to only those with whom I plan to celebrate the day. Financial difficulties this year will only reinforce this long-standing tradition. Friend #2, especially, probably will have an arch-traditional holiday (complete with that dreaded music*); friend #1 will probably turn it into a kind of open-house party with people coming and going all day and into the evening, with a variety of music unlikely to be focused on all that jingly-jangly Xmas pop crap* or a hymn overload*.

*Of all my pet hates, none compare to my loathing of Christmas music.

Though Thursdays are usually my day off, I shall probably end up working Thanksgiving night, and I know I'll be working Christmas night; I did last year, and both were good money-making nights for me.

15. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving is gonna be going over to my aunt's and Christmas is gonna be @ my Mom's house.

16. witch

witch Member

Thanksgiving & Yule will be traditional at the Witch home, family and friends ... but I'll miss sharing our feast with the "take a military person home" program because of the move from San Diego :(

Draft saved Draft deleted