thanksgiving is nonsense

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_tallbig, Nov 14, 2007.

1. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Iam alone in thinking that thanksgiving holiday is nonsense?

Thanks god for what ? That we are okay ? What happened to millions of people in the world that are living miserables lives ? In another words thanks a god because the unfairness of live ?

Dont make me wrong i like the idea of sharing time with people , with family and friends but thanking a god because we are fine is nonsense.

2. Osiris

Gold Member

Personally? I don't take it as "thanking god". It's a day for me to spend with family and close friends and reflect on the things in my life I am thankful for. Most noticably, family and friends.

3. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

thanking in that sense is okay but originaly this day was invented to thanks a god because we are fine and that is what most people do

4. Osiris

Gold Member

I know the original intent of the day, but I bet if you added a poll option to this thread, you'd see very few people view it as a day to "thank god". I don't know of anyone I associate with who does really.

5. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

In all places i go to celebrate thanksgiving most people actually thanks a god . Maybe is just a coincidence.

6. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

You could say the same thing about December 25, January 1, the first Monday in September, July 4, and so on.

Thanksgiving in the US is a huge shopping holiday. Take it away and the retailers will cry foul.

Nowadays, the vast majority of holidays are a day off work and an excuse to spend money. I suppose the shopping helps offset the economic effect of the day off.

7. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I think thanksgiving is a day to eat too much, drink too much wine, and watch football(yes gay men watch football, Go Patriots@)

8. Osiris

Gold Member

OK, perhaps at the dinner prayer we do, but that is it. The whole day in our house is about fellowship.

9. optimum

optimum New Member

Albums:
    Yea, fuck it dude. Family, friends, football, and food.

Best shit ever invented. Wayyyy better than Valentine's Day.

10. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Yeah i agree . Iam not againts holidays at all . Is cool to have free days and spend time with family and friends . I was talking about the thanking god stuff.

11. findfirefox

Gold Member

Like always, I work :-/

12. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

It's a day off work to get together with family and friends and eat lots of good food! Someone will say a short prayer to thank God for the food we have and for our health. If anyone wants to chime in and say what they're thankful for, they do. Some people don't have food and have to go to a food pantry or a free dinner somewhere. And others aren't well enough to even celebrate the day. We're grateful for everything. We've had some bad times like everyone, but this Thanksgiving should be a good one. :smile:

13. Lee1972

Lee1972 New Member

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving simply b'cos I am not American nor live in the USA but any festival involving family get together is a thumbs up - whatever it is! :) Happy thanksgiving in advance to you guys in the USA (in advance) (22nd Nov right?)

14. agnslz

Gold Member

I think it's so interesting that some people can bemoan the religiosity of this holiday and yet others lament that Christmas has lost its meaning and is no longer a religious holiday. I'm happy to be one of those in the middle who sees nothing wrong with the holidays as they are. Nobody makes any of us celebrate holidays a certain way. You're free to have or not have Thanksgiving and Christmas as you wish in this country. That is one of the things that I'm going to be thankful for next week while I have my moment of silence and prayer with my family.

15. gjorg

Gold Member

Seems like your just anti- God. Why not just say so. Thanksgiving is about Our ancesters having a good harvest. They where primarily christians so they thanked god! This is not really a religious holiday. I am sure the native americans at the festival did not thank god!

16. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Just eat your turkey, and be grateful. The universe is inherently unfair, yet not everything you have is at the expense of another. Be grateful, whether you acknowledge the existence of Deity or not.

17. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Hell yeah, bubba! Pass the muthafukkin yams!

18. basque9

Gold Member

Albums:
    The strangest things you say tallbig...because you do not believe in God, Thanksgiving is nonsense? What you say is what is utter nonsense and in a sense is injurious to the concept of religious tolerance and freedom!

Thanksgiving gives each peson an opportunity to reflect upon where he is, who he is, what he may have accomplished, take pride in his family , his accomplishments at work and in the community, think about his goals and,
    if he has fallen short of some of his goals and expectations, then to make
    plans and set new goals to work harder and look toward a better more productive tomorrow.

Tolerance and brotherhood and freedom of thought and privacy and security in one's home demand that respect be paid to every household and what goes down there!

When the home no longer is a sanctuary where private worship on Thanksgiving or any day of celebration can be free from slander and criticism and gossip and fear of reprisals, then this country will cease to be free and each of us will live under a new threat of tyranny!

Yes, you are free to think as you like and to express yourself , but you are not free to antagonize, to harass or to annoy or criticise other people by proselytizing your beliefs above theirs and all others!

19. snoozan

Gold Member

Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday per se. It's a secular holiday to celebrate a successful harvest. Originally Thanksgiving was a celebration the Pilgrims had to celebrate the harvest as well as thank the Native Americans. Of course they thanked God, but that's because they were Christians and that's how Christians give thanks. It's not a religious holiday like Christmas at all.

20. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    and to celebrate the Macy's opening of the Christmas shopping season with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Love the Broadway tunes...being gay and all.

Draft saved Draft deleted