thanksgiving is nonsense

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Iam alone in thinking that thanksgiving holiday is nonsense?
No, you aren't. Some people are ofended by the holiday because they think it celebrates the destruction of the native tribes.

Thanks god for what ? That we are okay ?

Um... yes. Precisely.

What happened to millions of people in the world that are living miserables lives ? In another words thanks a god because the unfairness of live ?
The idea is that you acknowledge that despite whatever your particular hardships are, you could have it worse. You are greatful that youu don't. You are honoring the fact that somewhere, some people do not have the same blessings as you. In fact, (judging by your English you are not American, and do not know our culture) it is traditional to donate food, clothing, money, and/or time to those less fortunate than yourself during this time of year. This is to make you even more greatful for what you have.

Dont make me wrong i like the idea of sharing time with people , with family and friends but thanking a god because we are fine is nonsense.
So... we should not then be greatful for what blessings we have? No. THAT thinking is nonsense.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Thanks god for what ? That we are okay ? What happened to millions of people in the world that are living miserables lives ? In another words thanks a god because the unfairness of live ?

Dont make me wrong i like the idea of sharing time with people , with family and friends but thanking a god because we are fine is nonsense.
BTW---Thanksgiving is not a world wide thing it is north american.Thats why the folks in Darfur don't celebrate it!(sorry , I just had to)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You could say the same thing about December 25, January 1, the first Monday in September, July 4, and so on.

Thanksgiving in the US is a huge shopping holiday. Take it away and the retailers will cry foul.

Nowadays, the vast majority of holidays are a day off work and an excuse to spend money. I suppose the shopping helps offset the economic effect of the day off.

I think you mean the day after Thanksgiving, rob. Can't shop with food coma besides most shops are closed.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't celebrated Thanksgiving as a holiday since my daughter died. It is too painful for everyone...we pretend it doesn't exist but we make sure to tell eachother we love one another.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As both of my parents are alcoholics, the holidays were very difficult for my sister (who is two years younger) and me. For every half-way decent memory, there were scores of terrible moments that made life really difficult. Thanksgiving is second only to Christmas for the vast store of painful anecdotes. Throughout my 20s, we'd pick at the horrifying mess my mother would lay out and left early to go out dancing.

But beginning in my early 30s, we both decided to try and forge new traditions on that most traditional of holidays, by ourselves or with whichever partners we happened to have at the moment.

At first we thought that experimenting with the menu might liberate "our" Thanksgiving from the dreadful experiences of our past, but substituting Sushi or Confit de Canard for the turkey just seemed...odd, even for us. Then we went the other way, perfecting the different "family recipes" that my mother never got quite right. This at least reconnected the traditions with better memories.

But it really only became a special occasion and a true holiday when, more or less by accident, we each invited someone we knew would otherwise spend the day alone and opened up the "family dinner" to extremely casual acquaintances.

Thanksgiving was our holiday, unlike Christmas or New Year's and we treasured it.

When I moved to Florida from Massachusetts in 2003, I expected that we'd, somehow be able to find some way of bridging the distance but haven't been able to. I've been the guest at several dinners since I've been down here, enjoying the company and food, but miss my sister so very much.

avg_joe

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Thanks god for what ? That we are okay ? What happened to millions of people in the world that are living miserables lives ? In another words thanks a god because the unfairness of live ?

I don't think so. Thanksgiving is part of the optimistic American culture and traditions. You don't have to thank God, I mean you can thank to someone you love or someone who did wonderful things for you.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It seems that some people here dont understand my point. Thanking god because you are fine dont make sense because million people in the world are suffering miserables lives . Thanking a god because what you have is saying that this deity has something to do with the unfairness of the world. If you thank about having food . What about the people in the world that dont have something to eat? If you thank about having family and friends. What about the people in world that are alone ? if you thank because you are healthy what about the people that are sick and or terminally sick? etc

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
It seems that some people here dont understand my point. Thanking god because you are fine dont make sense because million people in the world are suffering miserables lives . Thanking a god because what you have is saying that this deity has something to do with the unfairness of the world. If you thank about having food . What about the people in the world that dont have something to eat? If you thank about having family and friends. What about the people in world that are alone ? if you thank because you are healthy what about the people that are sick and or terminally sick? etc
What about the poor and sick? You do what you can for them and trust that the outcome will be favorable.

But don't stop celebrating. Unless you have robbed someone else of his your health and prosperity in order to gain yours. You have what you have. Celebrate. Eat too much, drink too much, dance too much, and love as many people as you can.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

"There, but for the grace of God, go I", or something to that effect.

It's a day to appreciate what you have, and to share it with others. As I understand it the original idea was to thank the natives (or God for sending the natives?) for helping the pilgrims find suitable foods.

Does maize occur naturally in Europe?

Here's a fun question. Why is Thanksgiving earlier in Canada?

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

People do here do understand your point, you are not listening to what they have to say.
Also, while you seem to be focusing on the negative, let me ask you, what are you yourself doing to change the situation. There are those of here in the US who do contribute time, money and hours of volunteer work to help the world be a better place. This doesn't just happen at the holidays, there are millions of committed volunteers who work tirelessly throughout the year.
We do not complain but when given the opportunity to give thanks whether to a god or to each other for being here, we do so.
If you are so negative about the thanking god concept, reclaim the holiday and be thankful, be grateful for what you have, love the people around you. Find what makes you happy.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"There, but for the grace of God, go I", or something to that effect.

It's a day to appreciate what you have, and to share it with others. As I understand it the original idea was to thank the natives (or God for sending the natives?) for helping the pilgrims find suitable foods.

Does maize occur naturally in Europe?

Here's a fun question. Why is Thanksgiving earlier in Canada?

I agree 100% of charing what we have with others

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People do here do understand your point, you are not listening to what they have to say.
Also, while you seem to be focusing on the negative, let me ask you, what are you yourself doing to change the situation. There are those of here in the US who do contribute time, money and hours of volunteer work to help the world be a better place. This doesn't just happen at the holidays, there are millions of committed volunteers who work tirelessly throughout the year.
We do not complain but when given the opportunity to give thanks whether to a god or to each other for being here, we do so.
If you are so negative about the thanking god concept, reclaim the holiday and be thankful, be grateful for what you have, love the people around you. Find what makes you happy.

I agree 100% to help and share what we have with others . I was talking about the god thanking idea when i said that is nonsense . Iam not against holidays at all , is good to share time with family and friends and much better helping the less fortunate. Maybe this day will make sense with a change of perspective . Thanking for your family , and others because the good things that they have done to you and because the oportunity we have to do goods things to others make perfect sense to me .

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seems like your just anti- God. Why not just say so. Thanksgiving is about Our ancesters having a good harvest. They where primarily christians so they thanked god! This is not really a religious holiday. I am sure the native americans at the festival did not thank god!

I respect people believes about god and gods.
Lest asume that christian god exist . That god simply dont intervene in humans affairs because otherwise the injustice and tragedy that occur on world wouldnt happen .

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanksgiving is a harvest festival like any other that people who appreciate the need for a good harvest have been celebrating for millenia.

So my guess is that your harvest season is somewhat shorter than your southern neighbours.

Smart cookie. I guess it's not 'cause God blessed us first afterall.:tongue: