thanksgiving is nonsense

Big en

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't celebrate Thanksgiving simply b'cos I am not American nor live in the USA but any festival involving family get together is a thumbs up - whatever it is! :) Happy thanksgiving in advance to you guys in the USA (in advance) (22nd Nov right?)

Not only that Americans get 2 days off!!!! Americans owe it to their country to go to work if they moan about Thanksgiving...so ungreatful:biggrin1:

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Nobody makes any of us celebrate holidays a certain way. You're free to have or not have Thanksgiving and Christmas as you wish in this country.
Well said, agnslz. If that isn't something to be thankful for, I'm not sure what is.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Seems like your just anti- God. Why not just say so. Thanksgiving is about Our ancesters having a good harvest. They where primarily christians so they thanked god! This is not really a religious holiday. I am sure the native americans at the festival did not thank god!

Why do you say that, Gjorg?
Native spiritual practice places great emphasis on giving thanks to the Creator. Even more, perhaps, than the Christian tradition.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Here's a fun question. Why is Thanksgiving earlier in Canada?

The Canadian Thanksgiving celebrations have a complex history. Back in Europe, farmers had a kind of autumn thanksgiving celebration, so our settlers had a certain tradition when they arrived. The native peoples had their thanksgiving celebrations. The northern explorer Martin Frobisher supposedly had a thanksgiving ceremony back in 1578 after managing to return from a long voyage up north. (Did you know that, Gillette? News to me.) And then settlers coming north from the American colonies brought the Thanksgiving (capital ‘t’) ceremonies that began with the Pilgrims.

We used to declare the day we would celebrate Thanksgiving each year, so the celebration moved around a great deal.

Finally, in 1957, Parliament declared that we would celebrate on the second Monday of October.

As to why we didn’t declare the same date that the Americans use, I suppose that had something to do with the impulse to avoid what would appear unhealthy imitation of a much larger neighbour, and probably more to do with the distribution of the holidays we already had. (And of course, this is a harvest celebration, and our more northern location causes our harvests to come earlier in the autumn.)

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
People do here do understand your point, you are not listening to what they have to say.
Also, while you seem to be focusing on the negative, let me ask you, what are you yourself doing to change the situation. There are those of here in the US who do contribute time, money and hours of volunteer work to help the world be a better place. This doesn't just happen at the holidays, there are millions of committed volunteers who work tirelessly throughout the year.
We do not complain but when given the opportunity to give thanks whether to a god or to each other for being here, we do so.
If you are so negative about the thanking god concept, reclaim the holiday and be thankful, be grateful for what you have, love the people around you. Find what makes you happy.

Thank you Fratpack for voicing what I was thinking ever since tallbig shot down both of my posts. I refrained from posting in this thread again because I was so enraged at the OPs tone and lack of listening to what was being said. Yes I am thankful for what I have and share that. First thing on Thanksgiving Day I make sure I am downtown at the missoin serving meals to the poor. After our gathering, we help out Tent City with their meal for the homeless. I am well aware of the plight of millions who have no home, food , loved ones, etc. I do what I can to try and touch the people I can who are in need in my community. So to answer tallbig, yes, I am VERY aware.

And as for thanking God? I thank God for the blessings I have been given in my life and I also pray that he grants the same to all of those in need. But that is usually a deeply personal and individual thing that I do not burden my holiday guests with.

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Is stupid to question and analize things ? :mad::mad:

Hardly tallbig, you miss the point ...are you thinking we are not compassionate and understanding people ? :wink:It is simply that you seem to lack any sense of what is appropriate and suitable to attack and seem hell bent to tread on everyone's Gods but your own God of doom and gloom and pessimism and misery....your God of nothingness seems to control you!:confused::rolleyes:

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree 100% to help and share what we have with others . I was talking about the god thanking idea when i said that is nonsense . Iam not against holidays at all , is good to share time with family and friends and much better helping the less fortunate. Maybe this day will make sense with a change of perspective . Thanking for your family , and others because the good things that they have done to you and because the oportunity we have to do goods things to others make perfect sense to me .
You don't thank God for your blessings, yet you seem to be saying that you blame him for all the unfortunate things in the world. I'm confused...that to me doesn't make sense. We can't always make sense out of things that happen in life...if you are angry about injustice then do something to change it...something, anything.

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You don't thank God for your blessings, yet you seem to be saying that you blame him for all the unfortunate things in the world. I'm confused...that to me doesn't make sense. We can't always make sense out of things that happen in life...if you are angry about injustice then do something to change it...something, anything.

Very reasoned insight and analysis , 36DD!:smile:

Stephie

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I am thankful for my family and friends I am thankful for all the good things that have happened in my life and the people that have supported me through the bad times

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

i neither thank god or blame him of the unfortunate things in the world because i dont think that god (if really exist) concern and intervene in humans matters.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i neither thank god or blame him of the unfortunate things in the world because i dont think that god (if really exist) concern and intervene in humans matters.

If you don't believe in God than why did you post this to begin with? Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday like Christian or Jewish holidays. It's a day to give thanks, eat, be with family, watch the game, and along with all of that many of us will thank God, Buddah, or some other higher power for all that we have been given.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Why do you say that, Gjorg?
Native spiritual practice places great emphasis on giving thanks to the Creator. Even more, perhaps, than the Christian tradition.
The natives did not thank a christian God is what I meant. I am sure they thanked some diety or another.The guy who started this post just wanted to bash people and religion useing thanksgiving as a vehicle.
Wonder why he's not bashing black folks for thanking God at the Grammy's or the emmys.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I always enjoy the deplorable egocentrism religious folks display when they start thanking God for whatever they've got in life. Logically, this means they are also thanking God for making so many millions of other people go hungry or live terrible lives. Without these less fortunate souls to compare ourselves to, then what would be thanking Him for? If everyone was happy and well-fed, then we'd have no reason to give thanks, and since we giving Him credit for the good in our lives, and because He is supposed to be omnipotent, then He should logically also get credit for all the misery in the lives of others. Or when they thank God for saving them from some natural disaster. Does that mean they think God decided that all these other people should die? They really believe they are so special that they deserved to live and that God made some conscious decision to spare their lives while slaughtering hundreds or thousands of others. Seems a little callous.

I don't see what any of that has to do with Thanksgiving, though. It's not a religious holiday. Just a moment to count your blessings and reflect on how good you've got it to be able to sit down with friends and family and enjoy a garishly indulgent feast. and a celebration of our English ancestor's knack for suckering Natives into helping them before they decided to slaughter the locals and take their land.

Holly38G

Experimental Member
Media
Houston, but I work for an airline so I travel
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Actually, the Native Americans did thank their god. Maybe it was the same god just in a different name? Monotheism is like that. One god.
Anyway, some people are just so unhappy and pessimistic about their own lives they can only find delight in fucking with others and their good lives and trying to throw insults and ridicule at others.
Thanksgiving is an American Holiday. If you are not an American you will never get it. Thanksgiving was started by Pilgrims, yes, but was made an American National Holiday by our Congress and the ascent and encouragement of our people to recognize our many blessings and to take time to remember them. Our families, our friends, our loves, our nation, our prosperity, and to thank whatever god you pray to, or no diety if you prefer, for our "blessings" as individuals, family, and a Nation. So eat well and enjoy those you love. Otherwise SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET OTHERS BE HAPPY WITHOUT YOU BEING A JERK. Some people whine about everything they don't like.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Actually, the Native Americans did thank their god. Maybe it was the same god just in a different name? Monotheism is like that. One god.
Anyway, some people are just so unhappy and pessimistic about their own lives they can only find delight in fucking with others and their good lives and trying to throw insults and ridicule at others.
Thanksgiving is an American Holiday. If you are not an American you will never get it. Thanksgiving was started by Pilgrims, yes, but was made an American National Holiday by our Congress and the ascent and encouragement of our people to recognize our many blessings and to take time to remember them. Our families, our friends, our loves, our nation, our prosperity, and to thank whatever god you pray to, or no diety if you prefer, for our "blessings" as individuals, family, and a Nation. So eat well and enjoy those you love. Otherwise SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LET OTHERS BE HAPPY WITHOUT YOU BEING A JERK. Some people whine about everything they don't like.

A - men

but do you spare a thought for those less fortunate than your good selves?

Chateau de Chazelet anyone?