That Burger King Commercial

Hapi Papi: Have you seen the breakfast sandwich commercial with this king of burgers? A guy wakes up in bed and finds the king there smiling down on him. the king then gives him breakfast. The guy kinda looks surprised to see him there. But everything turns out ok when he eats and the king even puts a hand on his back(in one version) and the guy looks at him funny and the king backs off. The other version has their hands awkwardly touching and they pull away.

Now, if that was me... if something like that is in my bed that early in the morning, having never seen it before, I'd jump straight out the bed screaming as if it was a severed horse head. Then it offers me a sandwich? Where did that sandwich come from? What's in it? Why is a big plastic king with a creepy smile handing me a sandwich? I wouldn't be so trusting. Then the king touches me? Oh NO way pal! It's just so creepy. That king should be a Halloween costume and it'd scare all the kids... they'd think it's Michael Jackson...

I've read opinions that imply it's a gay commercial and people don't like it because they think it 's that, but I don't see it. I see it more of some kind of potential comical horror movie where the plastic king appears in beds and scares the @%&! out of people.

Any opinions?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, I thought it was kinda gay vague at first too. But the guy just eats the crossanwich (which anyone would do, except a vegetarian or a Jew of course), while the king has this big-ass grin on his face. I think the king's gay and the other guy's just hungry. Of course, if they really wanted a gay market, they'd serve link sausage. LOL

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My theory is that they're trying to resurrect their cheesy Burger King man from the late 1970s, the same way that Jack In The Box has the "Jack" spokesman. But they made a serious miscalculation in making him a weird, rubber mannequin type guy. Anyone else think he looks like the weird life-size doll family from the Duracell commercials about ten years ago?

Hapi Papi: I loved the Puttermans! The only difference is... the Burger King's head is solid. The Puttermans had rubber skin and could talk. Plus the BK is half human, he has human hands...

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The only thing that would go through my mind if that happened to me would be, "I wonder when was the last time my doctor checked my medication level?" :D

Seriously tho, the bringing back that waaaay outdated version of BK's spokeperson is ballsy considering how irrelevant it is. I think the part about the Burger King dude putting his hand on the guy while they're both in bed seems illicit, unintentionally I'd like to believe a slice more mature theme than planned.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey, I'd like to wake up with a man in my bed who'll make breakfast! ;)

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by aloofman@Oct 19 2004, 12:53 AM
My theory is that they're trying to resurrect their cheesy Burger King man from the late 1970s, the same way that Jack In The Box has the "Jack" spokesman.

Haven't seen the BK ad yet.

The Jack-in-the-Box clown has gone through some changes of late as well. A couple of years ago Jack was a wickedly cynical corporate executive clone spouting derisive put downs while dressed in a natty designer suit. These days he still sports the suit but the tone of his commentary tends more toward gentler humor. Anyone else note this change?

SG

Hapi Papi: We don't have any of those stores in this area.

Leno: If you wake up next to a guy wearing a crown who hands you a double meat sandwich, you've just had it his way.

kracken: Actually, Jack-in-the-box is alive and well up here in the North West. I think the JIB commercials are some of the best that are out there. Anyone remember the Jack-in-the-box football team? Or their boy band the Meaty-Cheesy Boys? Funny Stuff.

I, for one, have never cared for Burger King. Their food rangers anywhere from Blah to So-So. Their advertising campaigns have ranged everywhere from hip-hop gangsters to boy band endorsements (either N'Sync or Backstreet Boys I keep getting them confused).

The thing I really don't like about the Burger King stores is that I have NEVER walked in to one and it was clean. They have always been filthy.

I used to Manage Taco Bell's off and on for a long time and our stores were always clean and tidy.

Burger King lost it's identity years ago and has been trying to find it ever since.

As for their latest commercial: Yes, it's creepy. I never noticed a gay angle to it but it wouldn't surprise me if they started to come out with flamboyantly gay commercials to find SOME kind of base.

Kracken
Gay, Jewish and Repulican - - and you think YOU have problems?

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hold the pickle hold the lettuce...
apparently the special order was a goofy looking guy to be in my bed in the morning.
I think my reaction if I woke up to that would be:: "Jeez I must have started drinking again." (does it count as a slip if I had a blackout?) Then I'd realize I had really bad taste in men ----although he does bring food so what the heck, might as well enjoy.
Regarding the strange head of plastic, it is apparently being done so if one actor stops being any good (gets greedy for more money) he can be swiftly replaced.
I checked over at http://www.Commercialcloset.com and they haven't posted anything on this yet. Maybe they need a wake-up call of their own about it. Is it gay? Strangely I never gave that as much thought as I did to the idea of some unknown weirdo being in bed with me (which has happened far too many times)but again if he brought food and is clean I can't see turning him away. Personally I preferred the shorter, more rotund cartoonish Burger King from soem 25 + years back----now that was a cutie who I wouldn't have minded waking up with! (Of course I also had a strange crush on Fred Flintstone for a while and Mr. Spacely from the Jetsons, again ---booze is dangerous, I know because I actually woke up with guys like that.)

Caliman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I never thought I would talk about THAT commercial.

It's not gay at all. A guy wakes In bed and appears to be just out of a dream-like state. He gets handed food by a half -man, half- plastic thing and eats it. The voice over is slow and deliberate with a strange twang in the voice. The guy /jumps/ when the thing touches him (two men in bed?) or just being touched. They return to a state of laughter or quite. There are different versions. If anything there is a touch of homophobia- but such a bit it barely registers. The disturbing thing is the whole commercial.

Madison avenue wouldn't use a guy like that for a "gay" commercial. It would also have to be clever or cute. This one is just creepy but is accomplishing a goal isn't it. I'm ready for it to go away.

Sort of like whats going on in this country- being fed slop and just taking it without asking where it came from and then feeling a pang and just going on. You fill in the rest. Hey, where IS my medication!

Some of you men (and women) are funny. I like that.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I personally have eaten and worked at BK's so I really have no objection to their food, tho the way they cook food is reminiscent of the ark opening scene in [Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

I have thoroughly enjoyed their whopper over the years and probably will never will stop.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Their latest ad campaign features two guys - one with small hands. I don't know if that is actually his hands or computer graphic, but the other one that volunteers to hold the burger for him is a hunk! He could hold anything he's got for me.