That damned EU

Discussion in 'Politics' started by slurper_la, Sep 13, 2009.

1. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Out of the 13 countries in Western Europe (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, Swtizerland, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, and Great Britian),

the number that have a lower infant mortality rate than the United States : 13

That have a higher life expectancy than the US (for both men and women): 13

That have a lower murder rate: 13

That have a lower poverty rate: 11

Hearing conservative politicians use Western Europe as a cautionary tale against developing social programs: Priceless

(cross-posted at Discipline for Justice)​

The US has an infant mortality rate of 6.8. The worst in Western Europe is Great Britian with 5.0. The best is Sweden with 3.1.

The US has a life expectancy of 75 for men and 80 for women. All of Western Europe falls between 76 and 79 for men and 81 and 84 for women.

The US has a murder rate of 42.8. The worst in Western Europe is Portugal with 23.3 The best is Switzerland with 9.2.

The two countries with more poverty than the US (12.0%) are Portgual (18.0%) and Spain (19.9%)

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Hey, Belgium isn't mentioned in the murder rate :rolleyes:

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's a good illustration to counter the idiocy of people who demonize the social programs of the EU on ideological grounds.

Take it with a grain of salt, though...what works for nations of a few million may or may not work for a nation of some 300 million. :wink:

4. scotchirish

scotchirish Member

Maybe if I do some researching I might find it, but I would love to see a breakdown of all those figures based on each state rather than the US as a whole. It seems to me that would be a lot more accurate comparing to the EU nations.

5. eurotop40

Gold Member

I have taken a look at the murder rate. There you see that only 4-5 EU countries with a small population have a higher murder rate than the US. All others are considerably lower. If you put all the EU together you still have a lower rate than the US.
    However, as you say, I am sure there are places in the US that are very quiet, safe and pleasant to live. Even NYC is not that bad from the safety point of view, in spite of the people's paranoia.

Draft saved Draft deleted