That Gay Kid On Glee

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
On LPSG, debates always get mean and hateful. And that is very sad. If you want to debate, debate civilly or not at all. Be respectful, kind and compassionate. That seems like an amazing feat today, considering that one can hide behind a computer screen. People have free reign to say whatever they feel at any moment. What a shame!

On this site, you can get insulted or chastised for just introducing yourself. :eek:
It's just a nasty place on so many levels.

This discussion is neither mean nor hateful, nor is it insulting or full of chastisement. Or are you just making some wider point about the site?

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
This discussion is neither mean nor hateful, nor is it insulting or full of chastisement.

It already started to be, and it will turn out that way before too long. Just wait and see!:wink:

Like I said, you can get your head bitten off for just introducing yourself on here.

Now go back to discussing "that gay kid on Glee".

Brick7

Expert Member
Media
The dark conservative heart of Central California
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Cut the str8 guy some slack already. He KNOWS Kurt likes him and said so. Is the str8 guy NOT allowed to state his feelings. Is he not allowed to be overwhelmed that his mom is moving in w/Kurt's dad and he has to room w/a guy who is in love w/him? And very cruel to him?. He pushed the str8 guy to state his feelings as he walked into his bedroom/world that had been completely redone w/o any approval from him.P.S> the str8 guy wasn't being o
Kurt's redecoration of the room was his misguided attempt at what he thought a hetero-decorated room would look like. He also used it to try and show off his exquisite taste to try and impress Finn and it failed big time, obviously, because they live in two different worlds. Plus, Finn was going through his own crap at the time and it was all happening at the worst possible moment. Again, being a teen (as they all are supposed to be), Kurt's world revolved around Kurt and he didn't take anyone's else's (such as Finn's) likes or dislikes into account.
Perhaps he's a work in progress, as we all are, and still has lessons to learn.
I think y're missing my main point. Kurt's character has no focus or direction other than to say it's ok to be gay....oh yeah and cry.
Uhm...It is ok to be gay and I think that's certainly a good message to get across in a nationally (and beyond) broadcast dramedy television program.
I believe it was shown in an earlier episode that Kurt's dream has always been to leave Ohio for Broadway where he'll be a successful musical star. This was also the motive behind his "Defying Gravity" Diva-Off with Rachel to establish that he was a star, too, and not just Rachel. Kurt is just biding his time until he's old enough to leave Ohio and persue his dream. I think that's plenty of focus besides trying to get through the day without being thrown into a trash dumpster.

As for your vehemence against this fictional character, perhaps we hate in others what we hate in ourselves.:wink:

FleshlightMouth

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
On LPSG, debates always get mean and hateful. And that is very sad. If you want to debate, debate civilly or not at all. Be respectful, kind and compassionate. That seems like an amazing feat today, considering that one can hide behind a computer screen. People have free reign to say whatever they feel at any moment. What a shame!

On this site, you can get insulted or chastised for just introducing yourself. :eek:
It's just a nasty place on so many levels.

AMEN :frown1:

CuriousFem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
On LPSG, debates always get mean and hateful. And that is very sad. If you want to debate, debate civilly or not at all. Be respectful, kind and compassionate.

I'll second that. The problem with the 'ignore' feature is that some people can write interesting posts interspersed with other posts containing only mean crap. I, too, prefer a civil discussion over one littered with "you're just wrong" and "you've got a problem" posts.

And on the original topic: I think Brick7 has good insight into the character. Suspiciously good, actually. :smile:

Sure, Kurt can be annoying and myopic to the point of total ignorance about how his actions will be perceived. It's just part of how his character is written. If the show has staying power, he'll grow and change over time.

HB

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think ALL the characters on Glee are poorly written, not just "the gay one". Each character is such an obvious cliche, the bitchy cheerleader, the jock, the rebel, the insecure princess, the mannish female PE teacher. The writers and producers have given Kurt every single gay cliche they could think of. I think it's so everyone knows that he is gay without him actually getting to do anything slightly sexual. Broadcasters are so uptight about homosexuality that any expression of gay sexuality is unacceptable so they make the character "supergay". He'll do everything gay people are expected to do except kiss and fuck. That's where I find the writing flawed. Everyone knows he is gay but he'll end up a depressed sexless freak because ultra-conservative broadcasters don't want gay characters who are happy and satisfied. They want gays to be miserable and alone...and played by straights.

Last edited:
Media
On LPSG, debates always get mean and hateful. And that is very sad. If you want to debate, debate civilly or not at all. Be respectful, kind and compassionate.

I'll second that. The problem with the 'ignore' feature is that some people can write interesting posts interspersed with other posts containing only mean crap. I, too, prefer a civil discussion over one littered with "you're just wrong" and "you've got a problem" posts.

Well said, gentlemen. It seems that the big complaint by some on this site is being deprived of the right to be verbally abusive.

That being said, how soon, in response to my post, can I count on a "fuck off" or a "fuck you"?

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Without having read the whole thread (and because I'm only expressing an opinion, not joining a debate), I find both the character and the actor to be too stereotypical and too self-absorbed to be sympathetic.

In a scene where the clearly straight guy, Finn, lashed out and said that he changed into his underwear in the bathroom because of the way Kurt looked at him, and the audience was supposed to feel sorry for Kurt, I totally understood Finn's position. There has been a whole plot around Kurt's crush on Finn where Finn has been supposed to be learning about his own homophobia and while some of it has probably been instructive, much of it has made Kurt's character look positively creepy. Like an obsessed stalker.

I admit that some of the character's (and, I assume, the actor's) in-your-face flamboyance makes me vaguely uncomfortable. I get the "it's cool to be who you are message" although I don't think being that heavy-handed is either necessary or realistic and I can't see it flying in any high school I can imagine. Moreover, the writers haven't given Kurt any really strong redeeming qualities other than his out and proudness. They need to flesh him out as a person, show more intelligence, compassion, humor, etc., to make me care about him.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
I think ALL the characters on Glee are poorly written, not just "the gay one".

I second Willow's comments. OTOH, I only look at both the characters and plot as being filler between the over the top musical revival numbers. My favorite bit with the Kurt character is when he joined the football team, and they finally won a game. Also when his father said he knew he was gay when he asked for pumps at age 4. Subtle no, funny, yes, precisely because it was stereotyping in the absurd.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think ALL the characters on Glee are poorly written, not just "the gay one". ..

That's true and I agree. My prob, as I said is Kurt's character is so badly written and one-sided that you almost have to hate him more. Most of the characters are annoying but the way they are written they have their charcters more developed. I don't like Lea Michelle's character but as a person watching the show it's easier to follow her because they give her more to do and they delve further into her.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
surprised anyone would be surprised to find a character on tv thats over the top. IT IS A TV SHOW. Normal just does not cut it for TV.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't handle how they portray this gay teen. He's flamboyant beyond what a normal gay teen would be. Face it, in real life he'd be black and blue - or worse, God forbid. The outfits are beyond believable. How's he paying for those get ups? His hair is ridiculous and, honestly, his voice gets on my nerves.