Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
When I need time to think. Be alone with my thoughts. I have a place I go to that is my special place. It's a spot in the sky that I travel to where I keep special memories, family and freinds that are no longer here, people that are special to me. A place where I can clear my mind, feel close to those that I can no longer see or would like to see. It brings me comfort, joy and even sadness sometimes. But in the end when I leave that place I feel more at peace.
I know all these things I have mentioned are really stored in my memory, but that special place allows me to focus and block out the world for a little while.

What is your place you go to when you need to get away? Is it a physical place, somewhere your mind travels to or something else?

Just curious.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am someone who for a various reasons really detest flying, but I do take advantage of long flights for the simple luxury that I am out of contact with the rest of the world and can be alone with my thoughts.
If I'm in NY and I need a quiet moment to myself I go to The Metropolitan Museum Of Art and sit in
The Temple Of Dendur
If I'm in Honolulu I go to the Honolulu Academy of Arts

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
There is a bridge in Clear Creek Canyon on U.S. 6 West about 20 miles from Denver. The highway is a twisting two-lane road that snakes alongside Clear Creek. The road is heavy with cars commuting between Denver and the towns of Black Hawk and Central City or taking the scenic route to Idaho Springs. Mostly the locals use it, with the occasional tourist or someone looking to avoid the busier Interstate 70 mixed in.

As you park and climb the 20 or so feet down the rocks near the bridge, the noise shifts from the sound of rushing cars to the burble of rushing water. Unlike the traffic, you don't hear the water. While its loud enough to smother out every other sound, it fades into a background ambient blur that gradually gets softer until it becomes an afterthought.

It's a remarkably peaceful place -- there's a massive boulder that sits in the stream bed maybe eight feet above the water. It's nearly flat on the side facing you with a 20 degree pitch that's perfect for stretching out on. The rock is granite and flecked with sparkling mica, it's warm from the sun and from there, you can see up Clear Creek to where the stream curves behind a wall of rock, framed by nearly sheer canyon walls punctuated with stands of tall pine trees growing out of impossibly small pockets along the walls. The water cascades toward you as it rushes down the creek bed, leapfrogging rocks and mixing with the air to create foamy breaks dotting the bed. In the spring and summer, wildflowers and grasses blow in the breeze to the side of the creek. You can smell the water as it rushes past and occasionally, a gust of wind is caught on the lip of the canyon and pushes the scent of pines and dry needles down the wall of the canyon and fills the air around you. It's there long enough for you to notice it and then it's gone.

The sky is an almost painfully brilliant blue and for a minute you feel that if you stared at it long enough you'd be able to see through it. But the brilliance is too much and you have to blink your eyes. The view re-emerges; clear and vivid -- a shade of blue you'll swear is the purest blue possible. You look back up the creek bed, the scene changing hundreds of times per second as the water jumps and falls and divides to make its way around a rock and rejoin the downstream flow. You feel the sun on your face and the crispness of the air. When you're there, time slows.

It's 20 miles back to the thick of things, but for that moment in that place, it's thousands of miles to anywhere.

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
There is a bridge in Clear Creek Canyon on U.S. 6 West about 20 miles from Denver. The highway is a twisting two-lane road that snakes alongside Clear Creek. The road is heavy with cars commuting between Denver and the towns of Black Hawk and Central City or taking the scenic route to Idaho Springs. Mostly the locals use it, with the occasional tourist or someone looking to avoid the busier Interstate 70 mixed in.

As you park and climb the 20 or so feet down the rocks near the bridge, the noise shifts from the sound of rushing cars to the burble of rushing water. Unlike the traffic, you don't hear the water. While its loud enough to smother out every other sound, it fades into a background ambient blur that gradually gets softer until it becomes an afterthought.

It's a remarkably peaceful place -- there's a massive boulder that sits in the stream bed maybe eight feet above the water. It's nearly flat on the side facing you with a 20 degree pitch that's perfect for stretching out on. The rock is granite and flecked with sparkling mica, it's warm from the sun and from there, you can see up Clear Creek to where the stream curves behind a wall of rock, framed by nearly sheer canyon walls punctuated with stands of tall pine trees growing out of impossibly small pockets along the walls. The water cascades toward you as it rushes down the creek bed, leapfrogging rocks and mixing with the air to create foamy breaks dotting the bed. In the spring and summer, wildflowers and grasses blow in the breeze to the side of the creek. You can smell the water as it rushes past and occasionally, a gust of wind is caught on the lip of the canyon and pushes the scent of pines and dry needles down the wall of the canyon and fills the air around you. It's there long enough for you to notice it and then it's gone.

The sky is an almost painfully brilliant blue and for a minute you feel that if you stared at it long enough you'd be able to see through it. But the brilliance is too much and you have to blink your eyes. The view re-emerges; clear and vivid -- a shade of blue you'll swear is the purest blue possible. You look back up the creek bed, the scene changing hundreds of times per second as the water jumps and falls and divides to make its way around a rock and rejoin the downstream flow. You feel the sun on your face and the crispness of the air. When you're there, time slows.

It's 20 miles back to the thick of things, but for that moment in that place, it's thousands of miles to anywhere.

That sounds like an amazing place the chill out and relax...wow

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I have a few. My first is the tranquility of the local cemetary. It has big redwoods, deer, squirrels, birds, lush lawn and plenty of benches to sit on and just ponder life. If I'd rather take a long drive, I go to the beach thru the redwoods and there's a special beach I go to. I will write or just sit and think for hours. Any troubles I feel, I toss em to the wind and to the sea. Locally, there's a museum I go to and look at all the Native paintings...these are my ancestors...puts life in perspective.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
downtown library branch. huge building, lots of place to get lost in.

museums. roam, peep and trying to not make shoe squeaks.

the aquarium. deep blue. rippling light. back lit. drawing the fishes calms me down.

sexualnapalm

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I used to go to the beach a lot and sit on the stone benches along the bike path. I would talk to my father as he was buried at sea and it was where I felt closest to him. But I haven't done that in a long time. I don't spend much time alone.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What is your place you go to when you need to get away? Is it a physical place, somewhere your mind travels to or something else?

Just curious.
It all depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I just draw the blinds and put up the silencing machines (take the h.a. out) and that suffices. Sometimes a drive and then a walk into the woods where nature is my comfort or a visit to the deepest parts of the city where the crowds erase my blahs and ughs and woes or in an empty church where the peaceful silence restores my serenity, then the sexton comes along and we chat. Several times I've gone into the closet and relaxed, there's a stunning calm which I find in there. Different stress and crisis requires different methods.

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I have a few. My first is the tranquility of the local cemetary. It has big redwoods, deer, squirrels, birds, lush lawn and plenty of benches to sit on and just ponder life. If I'd rather take a long drive, I go to the beach thru the redwoods and there's a special beach I go to. I will write or just sit and think for hours. Any troubles I feel, I toss em to the wind and to the sea. Locally, there's a museum I go to and look at all the Native paintings...these are my ancestors...puts life in perspective.

All great visuals...but one thing you mentioned was writing...thats something that has never relaxed me...maybe because my spelling ability is awful and frustrates the hell out me...haha

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
downtown library branch. huge building, lots of place to get lost in.

museums. roam, peep and trying to not make shoe squeaks.

the aquarium. deep blue. rippling light. back lit. drawing the fishes calms me down.

hahaha....shoe squeaks...just make sure you wear leather souled shoes.

Thirdlegproduction

Formerly WhiteMonst3r
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A physical place would be any ocean and any good view of the sun.

in my mind there's a place I enter when I'm running.
It's a runners high, my body is pumped with endorfines but everything is crystal clear at that moment.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My bed. Late at night before I fall asleep, I can just lay there in the peace and quiet and ponder my day, week, month, year, life.....

It doesn't usually solve any of my problems but it helps me get my thoughts in order and a little clearer before going to sleep.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Music - I don't have the talent for actually making it but I love listening to it. Plugging my headphones in and cranking up the volume of a song I love just gives me such a wonderful feeling. I can't concentrate on my thoughts but music isn't for thinking about things, it's for escaping them.....